How to Disable The Seatbelt Alarm on A 2014 LE Corolla

Hi, I'm a newbie here; got a 2014 Corolla after 6 years of Camry leases. Love it so far, but I want to disable the seatbelt warning chime. My wife will not wear a seatbelt, either as a passenger or driver, so that's not an option. The owner's manual doesn't mention a disable procedure.

Thanks!

Yeah...not wearing a seatbelt is a stupid idea. Knew a kid once who didn't wear one, flew right threw the wind shield. Ended up being a close casket funeral.

I personally wear my seatbelt always, but understand why people don't want to. I think the only responses you'll get here, is advice to wear your belt.

I read through the manual and didn't see any mention to disable the buzzer but I didn't read that part too close. My advice would be to read your manual, even though I doubt it is possible to override.

I know how to buy I don't really want to be associated with the deaths of people who will do it. Honestly when you apply for a drivers license DMVs should show the applicants pictures of people who did not wear their seat belts.

I know how to buy I don't really want to be associated with the deaths of people who will do it. Honestly when you apply for a drivers license DMVs should show the applicants pictures of people who did not wear their seat belts.

I doubt they would come after you for any deaths. I guess the good news for the OP is that it can be done, now you just gotta find someone willing to help.

I had really hoped my thread wouldn't turn into another debate about seat belt use in general. That's why I prefaced the whole thing with a statement about the actual wearing of one not being an option. I also prefaced it with the fact that there's nothing in the owners manual about it.

So, instead of hearing things over and over again, does anyone have a real response to my thread? Thank you.

okay **** it. I won't explain directly so instead I will explain something about the way the seat works so you can come to the conclusion yourself. Car seats have weight sensors in them that let the computer know when someone is sitting in them. From what I can tell the seat belt buckle hole also has a sensor that either completes the circuit when clipped in or activates a pressure switch which lets the computer know your seat belt is on. From that hopefully you can figure out the rest.

Seatbelt alarm

You can do what I did. I bought a seat beat extender. I made sure it was safety certified. It stops the alam but I use because I don't like digging down in the seat trying to buckle up. It easier an quicker to find and use. It is nice when your just moving your car a short distance you don't have to put up with the alarm. I won't be like Big Brother and tell you what right or wrong because the next thing you know it will be against the law to sneeze while driving because it has contributed to several deaths :)

Personally, I agree with DJAnnexAlpha on this, but anyway.

There was a thread on another forum about this, but I don't remember which one and couldn't find it.

Anyway - it might help to know what procedure you tried on E-how: http://www.ehow.com/how_5552324_disable-seatbelt-alarm-toyota.html

Older cars allowed you to turn off the warning chime - I don't think newer ones do - liability issue for the manufacturer.

Any of these should work (although again - I think it is a BAD idea.)

• Buckle the seat belt before you get in the car, leave it buckled and sit on the belt.
  • Get the belt extender for free from the Toyota dealer, or get a spare buckle from the junkyard. Plug the buckle into the receptacle.
  • The receptacle has a circuit that tells it when the belt is fastened. I don't know how it works, but it has to have 12V and or Ground connected to it. Either remove the 12V or ground one of the wires and the car should think the belt is buckled and not chime at you.
  • The seat has a sensor the tells it when someone over a certain weight is sitting in it. Same as above, disable the sensor and the car will think the seat is always unoccupied and will not beep at you.
  • Find the chime and remove it, but you will still have the flashing light on the dash and won't know about keys left in the ignition, lights left on, etc. so this would be last resort.

Hi, I'm a newbie here; got a 2014 Corolla after 6 years of Camry leases. Love it so far, but I want to disable the seatbelt warning chime. My wife will not wear a seatbelt, either as a passenger or driver, so that's not an option. The owner's manual doesn't mention a disable procedure.

Thanks!
Why would your wife take such a huge risk with her very life?

In many states, not wearing a seat belt is illegal.

Even I if knew how to disable it, I'm sorry but I would not help anyone do that and in so doing hasten their death!

Last edited:
Also, this is your wife, not the enemy. You want to protect her, not let her own stupidity and pigheadedness kill her! You are the man of the house! Put your foot down!

"I love you and I need you in my life. Therefore I will not assist you in any way, shape or form that will put your life in great danger. You either wear a seat belt, or walk. Period!"

Also, in any state I know of that has seat belt laws, if a passenger isn't wearing a seatblet it's the driver that gets the expensive ticket.

Last edited:

fishycomics

Super Moderator
Under the seat is the plug, you will need to loop it. before cutting any wires, or attempting to do so, Ask yourself. will my Air bag save my Life

I ask for the thread to be.......

Also, I am a state licensed safety inspector and in any state with annual state safety inspections the seat belts must be in proper working order or the vehicle will not pass inspection.

I recommend you have a sit down talk with your wife and tell it like it is.

Another thought; if your vehicle ever gets in an accident with your wife not using the seat belt, I can't see any insurance company paying out for a claim regarding her subsequent injuries, disability or death, since it was her own fault for not using a seat belt.

Your wife needs to get with the program.

fishycomics - I did consider that, but I think this thread is very educational for all concerned and maybe the original poster's wife will get with the program.

Not mentioned before - but ...

IMHO - it is a bit different in a car with airbags. If we were talking about a 1980's car, there is a huge risk of being thrown from the car or not being able to brace yourself in time and slamming your head through the windshield - not good, but ...

In a modern car - the airbag will deploy with explosive force and expect you to be restrained in the front seat. They recommend that children under 12 not ride in the front seat b/c there have been cases of them having their necks broken or being killed by the airbag deploying. If you wife is heading toward the windshield and the airbag deploys, that in itself could probably be fatal even in an otherwise relatively minor accident that she would otherwise have walked away from.

It's my assumption that the airbag will not fire if the seat sensor does not sense a passenger in the seat. I'm with the majority here. Get over it and wear the stinking belt!

Mike

fishycomics

Super Moderator
Seat belt alarms or idiot ligh will pass inspection,

SRS light "Will pass" inspection" Scott maybe on this site you are a Safety person Lol where is the JK icon?

No pun intended o anyone

fishycomics - Seat belts must be in good, operable condition to pass the annual state safety inspection. If I inspect a car that has inoperable seat belts, I have to fail it for inspection.

Personally, I agree with DJAnnexAlpha on this, but anyway.

There was a thread on another forum about this, but I don't remember which one and couldn't find it.

Anyway - it might help to know what procedure you tried on E-how: http://www.ehow.com/how_5552324_disable-seatbelt-alarm-toyota.html

Older cars allowed you to turn off the warning chime - I don't think newer ones do - liability issue for the manufacturer.

Any of these should work (although again - I think it is a BAD idea.)

• Buckle the seat belt before you get in the car, leave it buckled and sit on the belt.
  • Get the belt extender for free from the Toyota dealer, or get a spare buckle from the junkyard. Plug the buckle into the receptacle.
  • The receptacle has a circuit that tells it when the belt is fastened. I don't know how it works, but it has to have 12V and or Ground connected to it. Either remove the 12V or ground one of the wires and the car should think the belt is buckled and not chime at you.
  • The seat has a sensor the tells it when someone over a certain weight is sitting in it. Same as above, disable the sensor and the car will think the seat is always unoccupied and will not beep at you.
  • Find the chime and remove it, but you will still have the flashing light on the dash and won't know about keys left in the ignition, lights left on, etc. so this would be last resort.
The occupant sensor is passenger side only, and tampering that will disable the airbag. So not only would you not be wearing a belt, but you would have no airbag either. Even the driver side adjusts airbag deployment based on if the belt is buckled or not. It is stupidity to not wear one and there is zero reason for it.

As far as the cheater goes, the best case scenario of an accident gives you a broken nose and fractured eye socket...

Another thought; if your vehicle ever gets in an accident with your wife not using the seat belt, I can't see any insurance company paying out for a claim regarding her subsequent injuries, disability or death, since it was her own fault for not using a seat belt.

Your wife needs to get with the program.
In the event of an injury or death, the insurance company will pull the vehicle black box, and it will tell them that the seat belt was not buckled.

fishycomics

Super Moderator
To the topic . If you want to use those seat belt thingys, why are you wasting your $$.

To tamper with the belt, you are not, to risk a life, that is the decision of any one who gets in the car, and turns the key on.

I show something that is easily overlooked, and I ask to only observe, and not take the risk of doing this.. Your Inspector Scott has no clue if some one tampered with a belt this way. Lol If he sees a stitch wearing, that is a different story. All kidding aside.

want the alarm off turn on your radio, drive 30 seconds and the high pitch sound goes away.

We are here to help, and offer advice an opinion. I do go beyond that, that is who I am!

Seats rely on sensors for airbag, not a switch to the seat belt buckle, my understanding, sit in the seat to find out?

Last edited by a moderator:
Fishy, for the passenger side yes, there are sensors there to enable or disable an airbag based on the weight of the occupant.

Howvever, the seat belt dictates how the airbag deploys in both the driver seat and passenger seat. If the belt isn't buckled, deployment is slowed down.

fishycomics

Super Moderator
Correct. Also there are on/off switches on the older Corolla's that you do know, used to be on the lower center dash. I only showed what will be an option to save your $$ on those gadgets the OP or person suggested. I guess you guys see only, or have a one track mind. . Lol honestly I am thinking you Don and Scott are
one person. Every thread you two agree with every single thing Lol

I suggest if you are going to fool with the airbag, seatbelt thing, Keep in mind $1000.00 is the minimum cost, and will void the insurance Bill. but will the OP be around to worry bout that?

If someone wants to kill themselves, I'm not handing them my pistol. They can figure out their own way. It isn't a matter of being one-track-minded ... it's a matter of "I won't help people defeat safety systems on their vehicle"

And Scott and I agree on some things and disagree on others. With safety, we both have the same attitude.

fishycomics

Super Moderator
safety is key. you take full responsibility purchasing a car. And the car is like a Pistol my friend. enough B.S.ing the best advice I can give is to close this topic and lets move on to like changing out oil on a 1991 corolla later showing why I use mixed oils..

Remember I am with ya guys not an enemy. open and honest is me.

I removed the clip and there will always be a kid coming up asking Iwant to do this and that Lol we all did that.. We all wore no belts back in the 70's do not lie to me that you did not!

fishycomics

Super Moderator
What was I driving in 1983?

1984ish corolla SR-5 Lol nah a 1997 Camaro to a Mitsubishi Starion ESI 5 speed Top speed at 150mph Oil cooled turbo, 0-60 in seconds

Funny we had two of them the LE model that the water cooled converted by a recall at the factory

put the Auto to shame. thanks for the memory lane walk there . 1983 man those were the years, wish we had those gas prices 84 cents

then the Corolla SR-5 1989-90

My friend had a Toyota with no floor, we had to drive carefully Lol that was probably the very first ones when introduced.

Last edited:
Fishy, for the passenger side yes, there are sensors there to enable or disable an airbag based on the weight of the occupant.

Howvever, the seat belt dictates how the airbag deploys in both the driver seat and passenger seat. If the belt isn't buckled, deployment is slowed down.
My point on the airbags got overlooked.

The easiest way to disable the seatbelt alarm is to plug in one of those extra seat belt buckles that was linked on E-bay.

If you do ONLY that, the black box will show the seat belt was buckled (but an investigator looking at the car might know the truth), but the airbag will deploy full force.

If you disable the occupant sensor, the airbag won't deploy at all - which might or might not be safer if you aren't going to wear a seat belt.

Ideally - the safest way to do it is probably cutting the chime circuit - that way at least the car knows the seat is occupied and the occupant is not buckled and can act accordingly - but I'm not sure where the chime is and if you can disable it ONLY for the seat belt (and not for lights on or key in ignition also).

Same chime, so you'd lose it for door open and lights. It's on the left of the steering wheel somewhere.
Assuming Toyota doesn't use a databus for the chime circuit, it depends where you cut the wire.

If you cut the wire at the chime, obviously you lose the chime for door open and lights, but if you can find the output trigger from the seat belt to the chime and cut that wire - but I don't know where that is - and it could be integrated into the BCM.

It all depends on how the circuit is wired. You'd have to trace the seat-belt wiring to make sure you don't cut anything that would go into the PCM or airbag module.

Or you could just wear the damn seatbelt ... that's also an option :)

You folks are debating back and forth, but I just want to bring home a case of water bottles in the front seat without the alarm buzzing, or without buckling it in. Please don't turn this into a debate on water bottles vs tap water. lol

Did anyone come up with a real solution?

You folks are debating back and forth, but I just want to bring home a case of water bottles in the front seat without the alarm buzzing, or without buckling it in. Please don't turn this into a debate on water bottles vs tap water. lol

Its a 4 door, can you not just put them in the back seat?

Reply number 13 is less than $5.50 shipped. If that is too expensive/complicated for you, either buckle the case of water bottles in or let it chime until you get home with them. (I assume you don't have a case of water bottles constantly on the front seat in case you need one while driving.)

Actually - I would have had a problem with him just posting the E-bay link. In this case, there were twelve other replies saying it was a bad idea, so I was okay with it.

A lot of times people don't think through all the consequences of their actions ...

For example - http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Dany_Heatley - Dany Heatley was charged with vehicular homicide after a car accident - even though his friend who was killed got in the car voluntarily and presumably knew how he drove and what condition he was in.

The OP has a similar situation - if he doesn't want to wear a seat belt, personally I think that is his business (although as a taxpayer, I may be paying some of his medical bills if he has insufficient insurance). However, if he disables the passenger seat belt chime, he better be prepared for possible criminal/civil charges if he doesn't inform his passengers of that (and maybe even if he does).

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MeXQBHLIPcw