Instrument Lights

I recently bought a 2013 Corolla S for my youngest son. My other sons have a 2009 & 2010 Corolla S models. The older two have a light sensor which turns on headlights but dash lights are on regardless of headlights during the day. The 2013 S does not have the sensor and the dash(instrument) lights ONLY come on whenever the headlights are on. NO instrument lights without headlights. Dealer service person says this is correct. Those of you with similar Corolla S without "auto" headlights, do you have instrument lights on during day?

Both my 2008 Matrix and 2014 Corolla have instrument cluster lights on the second I turn on the ignition (2014 is due to the multi-information display and 2008 is because the gauge lens was smoked and you couldn't see the gauges at all unless the sun was pointing right at them).

My girl has a 2010 and I don't think the instrument cluster lights are on since you can see the gauges, with the exception of the odometer panel. 2013 is almost the same panel aside from cosmetic changes.

I'm in Canada and my 2013 S with auto lights the dash is always off until lights come on. I find it fine to see the dash during the bright sunny days so I have no issues if the dash is off.

Those of you with similar Corolla S without "auto" headlights, do you have instrument lights on during day?
My 2013 recently "died" in a wreck, but it did not have the automatic headlights and no instrument lights during the day w/o turning on the headlights.