Is it the Struts?

When I brake, there's a noise sometimes and it seems like it's up front. The brake pads are fairly new, and nothing seems loose. The strut assembly rubber is ripped...I'm guessing they've never been replaced. I'm thinking to buy 2 off ebay that are compressed and ready.

Any suggestions?

Make sure the brand is a known brand name before getting amything from eBay. Best way to tell of that is the noise is to push down on the front of the car and see if you hear it. If it is the struts, it will make the noise when you push down on the car and let it bounce.

The strut dust boots ripped on my '08 Matrix. I didn't intend to replace them until they wore out.

When I brake, there's a noise sometimes and it seems like it's up front. The brake pads are fairly new, and nothing seems loose. The strut assembly rubber is ripped...I'm guessing they've never been replaced. I'm thinking to buy 2 off ebay that are compressed and ready.

Any suggestions?
If the noise is only occurring when braking, it's a very high probability that it's related to the brakes and not the struts.

Diagnose
before replacing anything.

For the security of same-day warranty coverage, I recommend using local auto parts stores who carry well known quality parts, instead of from e-Bay. :thumbsup:

If the the front struts are worn out, then if not already replaced, the rear struts will also be worn out and all four should be replaced, along with having the car realigned with a four wheel alignment. But again, it's likely not the struts causing the noise as they would only make noises when going over bumps.

How many miles are on the car? Does the noise occur at all speeds, or only certain speeds or certain conditions? Does it matter if the car is hot or cold?

Last edited:
Make sure the brand is a known brand name before getting amything from eBay. Best way to tell of that is the noise is to push down on the front of the car and see if you hear it. If it is the struts, it will make the noise when you push down on the car and let it bounce.

The strut dust boots ripped on my '08 Matrix. I didn't intend to replace them until they wore out.
If the noise is only occurring when braking, it's a very high probability that it's related to the brakes and not the struts.

For the security of same-day warranty coverage, I recommend using local auto parts stores who carry well known quality parts, instead of from e-bay. :thumbsup:
I'm thinking to buy this...from Amazon actually, since I have prime.

Why buy struts when the noise hasn't been diagnosed yet? Struts don't make noise unless they are going over bumps.

How many miles are on the car? Does the noise occur at all speeds, or only certain speeds or certain conditions? Does it matter if the car is hot or cold?

Why buy struts when the noise hasn't been diagnosed yet? Struts don't make noise unless they are going over bumps.

Noise happening below 30 mph. Doesn't matter if it's hot or cold. 136K, 2005.

I'm not buying them until I diagnose the right issue, but from some research, I found out that struts will make a noise when braking. I'll be checking the car a bit more to be sure.

However, the noise isn't continuous once you hit the brakes. Rather, it's a start stop noise. Kind of like a certain point on the wheel, and it just screeches lightly every full turn or so...if that makes any sense.

fishycomics

Super Moderator
Strut plates, rack-n-pinon steering, Tie rod, axle, all lead to a front end. many parts to look at? More like ht brake job, leading to the disk/rotor, and well hmmm, Axle. I say yes the shocks seen mileage,anything over 100K will be replacement