Keyless Entry System 2001 Corolla

Hey there everyone. I just purchased a used 2001 Toyota Corolla LE. I've only had it a day, but so far so good. It was one of those rare, almost magical cars with only one previous owner, no accidents or other body damage on its history, meticulously maintained, and low low mileage. We're talking under 60,000 here!

Anyway, despite buying the vehicle brand new and springing for the "luxury edition" the previous owner didn't really load her up with too many features, which generally is a-okay with me, except the one I'm missing which I would really find useful is keyless entry. I called a local Toyota dealer to get a quote on how much it would be for them to install, and they said about $320 for just keyless entry, $420 for keyless entry plus remote start. Not really looking to drop that kind of cash on what amounts to a convenience feature, so I was wondering if anyone had advice/experience on installing that kind of system on one's own? There's very little my husband can't do with a car, given the right tools, I just can't find any information on how you would even begin going about it. If it can't be done, we will probably just skip it for the time being, but I was curious if it even is something one can do by themselves.

Thanks for the help!

Thanks, Donabed. I'll have the hubby look into it.

Another quick question...the Corolla I bought doesn't have a CD player, just a tape deck (and no changer in the trunk, I checked :icon_wink:). Obviously, I'd like to put a CD player in. Did Toyota make a single desk dashboard player for this model, or was it only the changer in the back? Anyone else have any experience putting in a CD player in the front dash?

Don't get a Toyota one. I'd look at a Pioneer or other systems (Kenwood, etc.)

crutchfield.com will tell you everything you will need to install an aftermarket double DIN system in your car, and they throw in the harness, the manual, and the dash kit for free. I always get my gear from them.

Good to know, thanks! My husband was concerned that another model might not fit, he thought the radio/tape-deck that came standard in the vehicle might not be a single DIN system, but I told him that I was pretty sure people had put in other systems in the front dash with no problem.