Keyless Push Button Start System and Car Thieves

Is It Easy to Break into Keyless Cars?

I'm thinking about to buy a GPS system, but some people says smart key proximity start feature is secure enough to avoid this situations.

What's your opinion about? Shold I add additional secure layer to my new Rolla?

Yeah. Throw a brick at the window, same as any other car. You can get an alarm as a deterrent but it isn't fool proof. The strong majority of people don't call 911 when a car alarm goes off.

If you get a unit with a detachable face, that will help.

What I mean is, is enough secure a keyless start car for thieves? I'm talking about to start the car and steal the whole car, not just break in

Is It Easy to Break into Keyless Cars?

I'm thinking about to buy a GPS system, but some people says smart key proximity start feature is secure enough to avoid this situations.

What's your opinion about? Shold I add additional secure layer to my new Rolla?
I've never heard of such a thing being possible unless it was being purposely tested in a controlled environment. Toyota's in general don't tend to have any electronic security issues. If someone did manage to break into/steal your car through the manipulation of the smart key/push start system, I can guarantee you that it'd be an extremely rare case... With the kind of expertise and equipment one would need, they'd probably be stealing much, much nicer cars than your Corolla (not that your Corolla ain't already pretty nice).

If you're still concerned about security in general, there's a company called Viper that has just about every kind of extra layer of automotive security that you could want.

Any computer or computer related gadget is vulnerable. Adding security layer complicate things for thieves, but the vulnerability remains anyway.
Medias love security company, in the market to sell security gizmos to manufacturers, demonstrating "easily" hijacking a car.
But the new reports generally omitted how long it was to figure the codes before acting... So basically, in real life keyless cars remains as safe (or unsafe) as any other.
However hard you try, a "professional" would get your car or it's content anyway. Just let it be not too interesting.
And, at least in my neighborhood, alarms trigger more irritation than attention, as so many people don't seem to know how to deactivate them before getting in their cars.

Thomas

Remote keyless start systems are vulnerable with some signal amplifying equipment, it's just unlikely anyone would steal a Toyota that way (if they get the equipment, they'll target higher-end vehicles).

I know those push to start cars have high theft...2 of my coworkers Nissan got stolen overnight...when they called their car insurance company..before they even said a word...the operator on the phone earlier asked if it was push to start?

Ok, thank you everybody for your advice. What I want to avoid is the bad guys stole my car. Seems like a GPS system with remote shutdown will be the best option to add a second layer of security.

I know those push to start cars have high theft...2 of my coworkers Nissan got stolen overnight...when they called their car insurance company..before they even said a word...the operator on the phone earlier asked if it was push to start?
Let's not get alarmist here (pun intended :p). It's a different theft method, not a higher rate one. Sure there will be more of those as more cars with push-button hit the roads. But the highest rate still belong to... keys left in the ignition.

Actually, you could also be hacked with a traditional remote key fob : the RF code is easily intercepted thus the car immobilizer defeat. Much like credit card with chip. The irony is that OBDII "snapshot" devices from insurance companies open the biggest security breach.

In the case of your co-worker, this kind of theft involve either several minutes near the car with computer material or someone per-targeting the owner and figuring a way to get close to to the key fob (never leave them close to an entrance door). In other words, enough to perpetrate a "traditional" theft.

I don't see why the insurer had to ask if it was push-button start, as they pretty much know all about the product they insured, and the risks involved. Beside luxury car, statistics shows that old pick-ups and old Civic/Corolla (or whatever popular car popular ten years ago) are more at risk (for after-market parts) than mainstream current cars.

But there was an epidemic of push-button luxury car theft in Toronto last year, shipped to African and Arabic countries. Their trick ? Accomplices at dealers and shipping yards... That just shows that 100% security simply just don't exist, no matter what.

I've been doin some research and seems like there are some mysterious devices that can amplify the RF signal from our our keys Inside our house and open the vehicle in the middle of the night. A Faraday case can protect us from this:FobGuard - Ideal Faraday Cage to Protect Car Keyless Entry Fobs https://www.amazon.com/dp/B010VK9ZLI/ref=cm_sw_r_cp_api_f8w8xbWSXV45V
That's the trick ! Also applicable to your credit card with chip.
To amplify a signal, you first have to catch it so thieves definitely have to first be close to your fob in the first place (that's why they say don't leave them near the main entrance).
The "Faraday" pocket solve the problem, but then you loose one of the alleged advantage of push button start : not having to take your key out ;)

Protect the access to ODB port is something that need to overcome:

http://autos.aol.com/article/keyless-bmw-theft/

"[They accessed] the BMW OBD port in the footwell by breaking the glass, reaching in and using a device to reprogram a blank key fob. The car was simply then unlocked and pushed off the drive and driven away."

Keyless vehicles are pretty simple. The owner has a unique key fob that, when recognized by the car, allows the driver to start the engine with the push of a button, instead of the turn of a physical key.

But a keyless vehicle's OBD port, or on-board diagnostics port, can be exploited by thieves. If a thief can access the OBD port by either using a RF jammer or simply breaking a window to get in the car, he can program a blank key fob to be recognized by the vehicle, allowing him to start it and drive off.
Any ideas about a ODB lock?