LED Reverse Lights In

Where did you get those bulbs from? They look great. I've been swapping out some internal lights with LEDs and thought about doing the reverse and tails as well.

I got the 6 LED 194 from superbrightleds.com (same as my dome light)

They are bright, but I kinda want to go brighter. I found a 10 LED with a projector lens that would fit like a glove, but they drew 50 watts each ... and I think that is more power than the stock reverse lights draw (normal halogen headlights in comparison draw 55, so when I backed up it would be like having headlights to really light up the back).

In the end I'll probably keep these. My street is lit so it probably masks how bright they really are. You can actually see glow on the ground from them ... so they're probably fine and I'm just turning into an LED junkie, LOL...

http://www.superbrightleds.com/more...ed-bulb-6-smd-led-wedge-base-tower/1728/4112/

These are the ones I have in now. I've just been using what they recommend.

Last edited:
The back-up lights are 16 W ... that is why I did not want to stick a 50 W LED in there (that is asking for a blown fuse).

Even 30 W is nearly double what the stock reverse lights are at. I'd be careful.

The ones I put in there are still plenty bright. I'm going to test them at work since the area isn't as well lit as my street.

XEON

thank you for that info. didn't know that.

so there did you get the back-up lights are 16 W?

maybe go with this much safer!

The manual stated 16 W. Never a good idea to go above what they use at the factory or you can melt wiring. I'm going to call them and ask if the 50 W is the actual rating or if it is compared to incandescent.

XEON

The key word was each!

So would it be safe to say that IF the led states 10 leds that has 5w would be a total!

or it must state EACH!

The manual stated 16 W. Never a good idea to go above what they use at the factory or you can melt wiring. I'm going to call them and ask if the 50 W is the actual rating or if it is compared to incandescent.
Now I know this isn't directly related to LED's and the reverse light bulbs, but would this same rule apply for headlights? I'm planning on upgrading the stock headlights to Sylvania ZXE's.. don't want any wiring melting or housings melting as I'm still under warranty

High beam halogens are high beam halogens. The Silverstar ZXE's are the same wattage, but I believe that they get the higher color temperature by using a thinner element, so you sacrafice longevity with brightness (and it is worth it, by the way).

I had Cool Blue on my '82 Mustang GT (this was before Silverstar came out for square headlights)
I had Silverstar Ultras on my '03 Ford Focus, and '96 Mustang GT
I had ZXE's on my '08 Matrix both high and low beam.

I never had issues with those bulbs causing problems or trouble.

What we were talking about was equivalent to throwing halogen bulbs into a reverse light socket, which would be bad.

Eh, the beam pattern is awesome for backing up at night, but I'm wondering how visible they are during the day when you are backing out of a busy parking lot? Might not have any light hitting the reflector that will allow it to be seen at an angle. That's my only question with it.

What would be the perfect reverse light would be a single Cree and projector lens with 4 standard LEDs on the sides. That would be the perfect back-up light.

Corolla, they have a focusing lens on two of the ten LEDs, so he probably gets a little better light against objects that are further away from his rear.