LOCATION OF THE HEADERS

I'm new to my corolla s but the engine is completely different from my prior 02 altima with the headers being conveniently in the front, but i expected that... are the headers behind the engine?? ...will i have to lift my car to efficiently access them???

What on earth is a header and is it important to me?
Its the reason the exhaust is in the back. :p I 'm no car pro, but its directs the gas/smoke/whatever you wanna call it to the back of the car via exhaust, or else those gas/smoke/heat/whateveryouwanna call it would be all under the hood which is bad, since you want cool air for the intake. (Sorry if that doesn't make sense lol, kinda ninja at work.)

Its the reason the exhaust is in the back. :p I 'm no car pro, but its directs the gas/smoke/whatever you wanna call it to the back of the car via exhaust, or else those gas/smoke/heat/whateveryouwanna call it would be all under the hood which is bad, since you want cool air for the intake. (Sorry if that doesn't make sense lol, kinda ninja at work.)
A different header either in a 4-2-1 or a 4-1 configuration can increase HP. Boom! This guy with a video explanation!

My man to the rescue lol.
I enjoy his videos, he does explain the theories of car mechanics very well. The only things I do not like is when he says that certain things increase HP when he doesn't show any tangible proof. Other than that, his channel is filled to the brim with very very informative videos.

It all depends on the engine design. Some have intake on front some have it on back. Normally the exhaust (headers) will be on the other side of the intake. On the 1.8 Corolla the intake is in the front and exhaust in the rear. There may be a way to rotate the engine forward a bit to get better access to the rear of it but I don't know the procedure off hand.

Jlinn

It all depends on the engine design. Some have intake on front some have it on back. Normally the exhaust (headers) will be on the other side of the intake. On the 1.8 Corolla the intake is in the front and exhaust in the rear. There may be a way to rotate the engine forward a bit to get better access to the rear of it but I don't know the procedure off hand.
I just want an ae86.... Just so I can do this >:)
www.youtube.com/watch?v=g9P3e4KYjb8

Attachments

Headers are the exhaust manifold. Against the firewall. It is a bit of a bitch to get to them in the 10th and 11th gen Corollas because the cowl hangs so far into the engine compartment, but there is enough room to get to the bolts going into the head from atop the engine, and ... with some extensions and u-joints, the flange bolts leading to the catalytic converter (probably easier to get to the flange from underneath than above).

It's better that way. You don't have exhaust heat cooking the oil pan and you don't have to drop the exhaust to remove the transmission. Having the headers in the front is a pain in the ass.

Plus, you're more likely to have intake issues (vacuum leaks) versus exhaust issues, so it's better that the intake is up front anyway.

You can remove the motor mounts and support the engine with a chain but you risk ripping exhaust hangers, damaging the CV joints, plucked wiring, etc. etc. etc. ... Not even worth trying.

The exhaust is always directed to the back no matter where the exhaust manifold is located, and the engine compartment always has heat from the engine itself, as well as coolant lines, etc.

It's all engineering ... what is the best way to make things fit, some companies do it differently than others.