New Guy With 233,000 Miles

I like this Forum. Browsed a bit before deciding to join.

I have an '02 LE manual transmission. 233,000 miles. My goal is 400,000 miles.

I burn 1/3 of a quart every 3,000 miles. So, not too bad.

A/C still works strong.

Just get can't over the fact this car has so many miles. Doesn't feel like it at all. That's Toyota.

Welcome to the Corolla Forum! :thumbup1::):clap::party::rockon:

Thank you for the compliments on the forum.:thumbsup:

Maintenance is the key with getting a car to last a long time. Maintenance bills are steadier than repair bills, but they are always less then repair bills.

It sounds like you've been really taking care of your car. Hats off to you!

Are you using petroleum or synthetic oil?

No, just Quaker State, Valvoline, Havoline, or Castrol conventional (petroleum) 5W30. Whatever is cheapest and I always change the oil myself (I'm fussy and make sure it's completely done dripping, and I always prime the filter by putting oil in it and swishing it back and forth so it soaks into the filter media).

In the transmission, I use Redline MT-90. In Michigan's winter months, it shifts like butter even when it's -8 degrees (as Michiganders experienced this past winter).

I do use genuine Toyota oil filters. I bought ten on eBay from Thompson Toyota for only 35.

I'd like to post some photos, but I don't know if this forum would allow that in this thread.

I use genuine Toyota antifreeze mixed with distilled water. And, I replaced my PCV and thermostat using OEM parts.

I've been tracking my fuel economy on fuelly.com and my average is 39.8 mpg.

CEL has been on forever due to the canister and/or lines. Changed the VSV that wasn't operating (tested it, but no click). Used genuine Toyota VSV. Not sure if it's worth dropping the tank to inspect more hoses.

I hope this is a civil group. I have browsed some other forums that featured a lot of personal attacks and foul language that was unnecessary. Odd, since I think Toyota owners are a bit classier than those who own junk from the "Big Three".

Last edited:
We keep it pretty civil here, so you are set. And yes, you are more than welcome to post pictures of your Corolla here.

The best way is to use Photobucket and to use the picture icon to post a link here.

With the cheapest oils, make sure to change them frequently. Use a strong light to look inside the valve cover to check for sludge and varnish build up. You'll want to get rid of that stuff.

Yes, you can post photos.

You are very wise to use distilled water with the antifreeze. Hats off to you! As I'm sure you know, tap water has all sorts of things in it that are not intended to be inside the cooling system of our engines and they can have negative affects.

That is outstanding fuel economy! :thumbsup::yes: Do you do anything special to reach those high mpg's?

Yes, this is a civil group and there are a lot of really nice and knowledgeable people here. The Corolla Forum is very unusual as forums go, as here you can talk about anything you wish without fear as long as it isn't personally attacking another member, using vulgar/profane language or promoting an illegal activity. If you want to talk about God, religion, politics, or what have you, that's fine as long as it's civil. If someone else doesn't want to read that, as with anything in life then they have the wonderful personal option of not reading it or participating. Simple as that. :thumbsup: Here freedom rules, not dictatorial, heavy-handed, pushy, "You can't say this, or you can't say that". This has resulted in a forum where everyone gets along pretty well and as a consequence, the Corolla Forum is growing by leaps and bounds. :thumbsup:

In the Corolla Forum you will find a plethora of topics of discussion, all manner of technical videos on maintenance and repair, as well as various entertaining videos in the, "Off Topic", forum. We even now have a, "Song of the Day Thread", where members can share their favorite songs with other members. In the Corolla Forums area there's a large amount of information on the various years of Corolla's from EPA fuel economy ratings, recall information, typical complaints/problems with certain years and models, etc. So feel free to jump right in and have fun in the Corolla Forum! :)

Last edited:
Distilled water still has salts in it (regardless, definitely safer than tap water). Deionized water is best to use. Grocery chains may carry deionized water, but it has been a while since I have seen it.

Distilled water still has salts in it (regardless, definitely safer than tap water). Deionized water is best to use. Grocery chains may carry deionized water, but it has been a while since I have seen it.

I've never seen deionized water. At the store, it' either spring or distilled. Still have the original water pump, radiator.

My heater core is a little plugged up; I am not getting the "hot" I really should be getting. Was disappointing this past winter. I don't want to tear the dash apart, so I may just open the hood and use high-pressure water into the inlet and outlet ports.

To achieve these high mpgs, I use a lot of tips from http://www.fuelly.com. I drive 55 on the highway.

I have been using the A/C. I use cruise control. I cancel cruise when going up hills and then I gain mpgs as I accelerate downhill. I shift early and I am in 5th gear at 35mph.

I also coast a lot; if I see a stoplight and brake lights, I just go into neutral. Some people get on my bumper over this, but I don't care. No sense in accelerating to a stop light or stop sign.

Today, I filled up and earned 41.3 mpg. Did a highway drive to Muskegon. A/C on the highway.

My roommate's '03 Accord 2.4, 5-spd automatic is only getting 28.

Scott, are you a fellow Irishman?

Last edited:
I've never seen deionized water. At the store, it' either spring or distilled. Still have the original water pump, radiator.

My heater core is a little plugged up; I am not getting the "hot" I really should be getting. Was disappointing this past winter. I don't want to tear the dash apart, so I may just open the hood and use high-pressure water into the inlet and outlet ports.
Heater cores are such a pain ... LOL! The one in my '96 GT was leaking, and the one in my '82 GT got really bad before I finally replaced it. Took one full day to tear everything apart, another full day to clean all of the antifreeze out of the vents, and another full day to put it all back together.

If you decide to replace the heater core if blowing it out doesn't work, might as well replace the A/C evaporator casing as well.

It's so tedious, I really hope I can get it better. I don't know why it's somewhat clogged, since I've been very meticulous with coolant changes and only using the "red stuff".

My first Toyota was a '96 Celica GT. Still miss that car. I come from a Toyota family. Where can I find photos of your Toyotas?

Thanks for the compliment. I have a lot of student debt to pay off, so I try hard to take care of this car.

If you search for threads that I have started in the 2014 forum, you oughta run into pictures of mine.

Scott has a good point, the thermostat can actually be sticking open. It is rare but I have seen it happen.

The spring in the thermostat wears out over time and can also get gummed up causing it to stick open, or at least partially open. If the thermostat hasn't been changed in over 75,000 miles, I would bet the thermostat is causing the tepid heat problem.

Thermostat was replaced with a genuine Toyota part from West Palm Beach Toyota when I noticed it wasn't as hot as it should be. No change. I changed the thermostat on Christmas day.

Also, I have decided to extend my oil change intervals, from 3,000 miles to 4,000 miles.

Last edited:
Autotech2612- Did you put all those miles on the car by buying the car new or almost new? I ask because its not uncommon for people to learn about Toyota by buying a car with 150k and 5 years later turning 235k and the thing is still running like new.

No surprise to us Toyota folks who were wooed by the first one we bought new or otherwise.

Nice Rolla you got.
I love the white ones. (Naw not cause I'm in the south and racist)

No, I did not. I bought the car from the original owner at 212K. The owner was finicky like myself and after a thorough inspection, I decided to purchase it. I think I said in another post that I come from a Toyota family, so buying a car with that many miles did not make me nervous. I bought it last year in April.

Living in Michigan, I go to the car wash once or twice a week for an underbody wash in the winter. I like the color white, but I have some minor surface rust I need to address before winter.

First Toyota was a one-year-old Celica when I was in high school. Best car ever. 2.2 liter 5-spd manual. Got me through high school and seven years of college. I was rough on it as most teens are with cars. Never had an issue. I was sold. My mother has owned four Camrys, my father owns a Tundra.

Won't say anything about racism, though. lol

Thermostat was replaced with a genuine Toyota part from West Palm Beach Toyota when I noticed it wasn't as hot as it should be. No change. I changed the thermostat on Christmas day.

Also, I have decided to extend my oil change intervals, from 3,000 miles to 4,000 miles.
That sucks, but a heater core with that many miles is about typical. Both Mustangs I owned had 225,000 miles on them when the heater cores went.

No, I did not. I bought the car from the original owner at 212K. The owner was finicky like myself and after a thorough inspection, I decided to purchase it. I think I said in another post that I come from a Toyota family, so buying a car with that many miles did not make me nervous. I bought it last year in April.

Living in Michigan, I go to the car wash once or twice a week for an underbody wash in the winter. I like the color white, but I have some minor surface rust I need to address before winter.

First Toyota was a one-year-old Celica when I was in high school. Best car ever. 2.2 liter 5-spd manual. Got me through high school and seven years of college. I was rough on it as most teens are with cars. Never had an issue. I was sold. My mother has owned four Camrys, my father owns a Tundra.

Won't say anything about racism, though. lol
I switched to Toyota after massive problems with my 2003 Focus. My 2014 S Plus 6MT is my second one. I had a 2008 Matrix 5 speed that took 75,000 miles of my abuse and never gave me trouble. I was sold after that.

I have a friend with a 2004 Focus and drives 40 miles to work one-way. Only 105K and he's had a myriad of problems, notably a rough-shifting transmission. He's impressed with my many stories of Toyota reliability, but I don't know if he'll buy one.

You stated your Mustangs had clogged cores at similar mileage. I just don't know why they get clogged if the coolant is flushed on a proper maintenance schedule.

What problems did you have with the Focus?

What made you decide?

Even cheap petroleum based oils are formulated for 5,000 mile drain intervals now. :thumbsup:

I started reading through the forum two nights ago and came across the thread regarding frequency of oil changes. The 3,000 mile interval was recommended decades ago.

Most new cars do not have fuel filters because of refinements in fuel. So, it's common sense after reading that thread that there have been refinements in motor oil.

I was due 200 miles ago for my "traditional" 3,000 change, but now I'm holding off.

Plus, it saves money. I'm 1/3 of a quart low, but topping it off right now.

What are you charging per quart for Amsoil, Scott, including shipping costs?

Last edited:
I have a friend with a 2004 Focus and drives 40 miles to work one-way. Only 105K and he's had a myriad of problems, notably a rough-shifting transmission. He's impressed with my many stories of Toyota reliability, but I don't know if he'll buy one.

You stated your Mustangs had clogged cores at similar mileage. I just don't know why they get clogged if the coolant is flushed on a proper maintenance schedule.

What problems did you have with the Focus?
Same with radiators, even well maintained, with time, oxidation and heat gets the better of them. They usually start to spring leaks at the edges where the solder is. Mine never clogged but they did leak. If yours is leaking, the system never builds up pressure so that could cause a no-heat issue. Also possible that solder from your radiator jammed up in your heater core.

As far as the Focus went ... the list of things I didn't have a problem with is shorter ... engine and transmission ... fuel pump ... that's about it.

I had a Focus and after putting about $1,200 in repairing things that don't fail on most cars, due to a defective engine design from Ford, the engine failed! "Arrrgghhhhh!"

Never again!

I started reading through the forum two nights ago and came across the thread regarding frequency of oil changes. The 3,000 mile interval was recommended decades ago.

Most new cars do not have fuel filters because of refinements in fuel. So, it's common sense after reading that thread that there have been refinements in motor oil.

I was due 200 miles ago for my "traditional" 3,000 change, but now I'm holding off.

Plus, it saves money. I'm 1/3 of a quart low, but topping it off right now.

What are you charging per quart for Amsoil, Scott, including shipping costs?

Good to hear. Standard drain intervals are also a severe strain on the environment in waste oil, waste oil filters, packaging and oil bottles that need to be disposed of. Also, with AMSOIL synthetics, the typical fuel economy increase is in the range of 2-5%, (it's not unusual for it to be much more), and that not only saves money in fuel costs, but helps the environment in reduced fuel consumed which also means less emissions. With AMSOIL being able to go up to 25,000 miles/1 year before needing to be changed, the reduction in used oil, solid waste, etc., runs into the hundreds of percent. AMSOIL is indeed a green oil company. :thumbup1::)

I am unable to post prices publicly due to corporate policy, but I will send you a private message. I take it the viscosity you are using is 5W-30?

I can say that the prices I can get you and all Corolla Forum members are much lower than competing synthetics and even....:)

The sticker fit this car well.

Annnnnd here is the blown up clutch and clutch slave-cylinder/throw-out bearing.

Can't say I've ever seen one side of the clutch lose all of its material and the other side is perfectly fine. I'm still wondering how some of the lining wedged itself in the backing plates and disc itself the way it did.

Surprisingly it got me home. Had to clutchless shift for 20 miles to get home but I did it.

Was fooling off on an empty road with another guy, red light was coming up so I slapped the shifter in neutral and coasted to the light, and as I was approaching it turned green on me, went to throw it in 5th gear ... couldn't get into any gear.

When I took out the transmission and replaced the throw-out bearing/slave-cylinder assembly, I was thinking about leaving the clutch but I noticed the bent fingers and wanted to take it apart anyway just to get a look at the disc, and as I was loosening the pressure plate, the material started falling onto the ground.

The six-speed manual in the Corollas has this exact same throw-out bearing design, that was my primary reason behind getting an extended warranty (I'm sure Toyota did a better job than Ford but I'm skeptical, and I already noticed that when I put the Corolla into first gear from neutral, the car rocks slightly, but it doesn't grind). The 1ZZ-FE engine with the 5 speed have the standard throw-out bearing, with the slave cylinder exterior to the transmission and actuating the shift fork (so it is basically a hydraulic cylinder that replaces the cable, everything else is standard).

Also, there were a couple ball bearings in the bellhousing ... most of them rolled out of the vent hole and onto the ground on the way home.

When the bearing exploded, I'm guessing that the spring pushed the bearing race up against the pressure plate crooked like that, and it was partially disengaging the clutch here and there. That's the only thing I can think of.

What brand parts did you use? Was this the old OEM clutch from Exedy?

I didn't know you could shift without using the clutch until an automotive instructor showed me in a little Geo Metro. I thought that was pretty cool. I was able to shift without using the clutch pedal in the Corolla.

Did it once, but won't do it again. Nervous of creating damage.

Those were the original parts that came with the car. Replaced it with OEM equipment from the Ford stealership and was starting to give me problems again.

There is a metal plate with tangs that holds the throwout bearing to the clutch slave cylinder. You can hear the tang pop and feel it in the clutch when it is getting ready to go. Then another one pops, and another one, and another one, until nothing.

When I traded it in for my 2008 Matrix, the tangs were just starting to pop off of throwout bearing #2

I clutchless shift in the snow, but other than that I use the clutch.

I like this Forum. Browsed a bit before deciding to join.

I have an '02 LE manual transmission. 233,000 miles. My goal is 400,000 miles.

I burn 1/3 of a quart every 3,000 miles. So, not too bad.

A/C still works strong.

Just get can't over the fact this car has so many miles. Doesn't feel like it at all. That's Toyota.
~My 2003 Corolla currently has 292,000. Still runs good. Items changed since 2004:
1. Cat converter
2. Left front axle
3. Starter
4. Power window master switch
I plan to drive this car till it breaks down

The belts, hoses, spark plugs, tires, brakes and battery are all the original parts?

If you stay on top of preventative maintenance for the car, it will never break down. :thumbsup::)

There is good and bad with anything, including aftermarket parts. Made in China parts? Forget it. J-U-N-K in my opinion.

But there are very high quality aftermarket parts available, which is why there is such a huge aftermarket part industry that provides parts that are better than the O.E. parts, especially for people looking to soup up there cars for better performance, etc., than the O.E. parts can provide. :thumbsup:

"Souping" up cars is something I will never understand.
People enjoy customizing their vehicles. Many spend so much time in them that they are willing to spend money to make it more enjoyable.

Independent AMSOIL Dealer, Contact me to get the world's best oil for prices lower than brands like Mobil1 and Royal Purple!

GoldMedalSyntheticOils.com

I prefer all stock. If I am going to accessorize (e.g. my spoiler), I only use Toyota genuine accessories. Rather than "customize", I'll spend my extra money on home improvements, not on a car that depreciates.