oil change

i have a 2015 corolla ,how often do i have to change the oil ,i had my last oil change 6 mo. ago ,but only put 3000 miles on it since then,the dealer said i have to wait until i have 10,000 miles or 1 yr..I don't put many miles on ,just to show this car is 18 mo. old and i have only 7000 miles on it.I guess i'm from the old school of changing oil every 3000 miles.i'm 80 yrs old and don't drive much ,just short trips to the store.Just not used to synthetic oil,but i guess this normal?

EricW

Well, I just started reading up on this and from what I've read, vehicles in which 0w-20 synthetic oil is required, the oil needs to be changed every 10,000 miles or 12-months. However, you should continue to check the oil level regularly and top off if needed. That will help your engine get the full benefit of synthetic oil.

The car will start to remind you about 500 miles before it's time to change the oil. Which is at 5k.
Toyota recommends the 11th generation Corolla's oil be changed every 10k with their synthetic oil which is made by Mobil 1. They want you to come in ever 5k miles however for tire rotations, fluid fill ups, and a quick check of the car.

Under Toyotacare I would change in between oil changes at home . Now that my Toyotacare is over I change at home as I have all my life . 5k oil changes are a little overkill for the driving I do since I use 0-20w full synthetic name brand oils. Usually Mobil 1. I may go a little over 5k but not much. I can change when the weather is cooperative since I do this in my driveway.I live very close to my dealer so I buy OEM filters there. The OEM filters are as cheap or cheaper than aftermarket filters.Just changed for the winter months a couple weeks ago and installed my Fumoto valve at that time.

Under Toyotacare I would change in between oil changes at home . Now that my Toyotacare is over I change at home as I have all my life . 5k oil changes are a little overkill for the driving I do since I use 0-20w full synthetic name brand oils. Usually Mobil 1. I may go a little over 5k but not much. I can change when the weather is cooperative since I do this in my driveway.I live very close to my dealer so I buy OEM filters there. The OEM filters are as cheap or cheaper than aftermarket filters.Just changed for the winter months a couple weeks ago and installed my Fumoto valve at that time.
How far do you go over?

I am at 35,000 miles and following the Toyota recommended interval of 10,000 miles. Easy to do, don't with modern synthetic oil, totally doable. Anything more frequent in normal driving conditions is a waste of money.

I change every 10,000 miles. Why waste the money unless you live in regions hit with cold?

If you go 10,000 miles, make sure whatever filter you buy can handle it. Lots of filters out there only rated for 5,000 miles.

I always go by my dip stick. I look at the color of the oil is in and usually the time I have to change it is around 5k or 6k depending how I drive it.

I change every 10,000 miles. Why waste the money unless you live in regions hit with cold?

If you go 10,000 miles, make sure whatever filter you buy can handle it. Lots of filters out there only rated for 5,000 miles.
So if I just take it to the stealership every 10k they will use the appropriate filter and oil to last every 10k is what I'm assuming.

fishycomics

Super Moderator
For me: 3K travel a round trip, and all that driving during the 6 months. should add up to about 10K? I changed out at 600Miles and May have 2K on it now (guessing). so I rather be careful and over protective then negligence. Again that is just me.

How you go about what you feel is right. look into your owner's manual and it should give you some sort of info, like 10K intervals?

Not 10K oil only and filter every other. Toyota care does that!

Do what makes you feel comfortable. However there is no real reason to do the oil changes any earlier if you are using a premium synthetic like Mobil 1 extended performance, Amsoil, or Redline combined with a premium filter such as an Amsoil or TDR filter. Things have changed a lot since the earlier days when Toyota had a helluva problem with their v6's sludging up. 10k intervals is actually nothing compared to some other brands that can go much longer. Fords and GM's with their oil life monitors usually go 10-12k miles between changes as well.

fishycomics

Super Moderator
AM gonna do an oil change again why so when my long trip is soon why I change early some times. cause I will not be able to get to it during the vacation and so on. but yes doing it early is better than doing not at all or late.

Well, I just started reading up on this and from what I've read, vehicles in which 0w-20 synthetic oil is required, the oil needs to be changed every 10,000 miles or 12-months. However, you should continue to check the oil level regularly and top off if needed. That will help your engine get the full benefit of synthetic oil.
Stealer ship says every 10K miles, manual says, and car computer is programmed for the light to come up at 5K, I go with what the manual says regardless of driving style. oil looks great when I change it at 5K but I rather follow the manual just to avoid any warranty issues down the road :)

Stealer ship says every 10K miles, manual says, and car computer is programmed for the light to come up at 5K, I go with what the manual says regardless of driving style. oil looks great when I change it at 5K but I rather follow the manual just to avoid any warranty issues down the road :)
Take a look at your manual closer. The 5k service is for topping off fluids, rotating tires, and having the dealer do that 5k safety checklist inspection on a few components. That is why the service light pops on every 5k miles as oil changes are every 10k miles as the manual states. The only exception to this would be if you are driving under severe service conditions. Corolla owners in the deserts of the Middle East where temperatures regularly can hit 110+ would be an example.

fishycomics

Super Moderator
you're using Synthetic oil that last a lot longer than what we used to change oil at 1500 mi, 3500mi, 5K mi. Today we do it at 10K, some may even stretch to 12K, 15K and 20K. In my humble opinion, you are the owner of your car, premature changes don't hurt. Just maintain your car, learn to check the oil , then sit at a gas station waiting for an Attendant once in a while, then we would not be reminded for oil, and tires. something we know how to do , and now letting a APP do it for us.