Plasti-Dip Gone Wrong

So I decided to plast dip my emblems. Here are pics of how it came out. I think I have 2 reasons why it came out crappy. (4 layers - 15 mins between each layer)
1- Because it was cold, and the can was cold so it the spray was blotchy instead of a fine mist
2- I think I sprayed to close (I was 6-8 Inches away)

I will try again soon when its warmer. Let me know if any one has tips!

Thanks in advance!

Attachments

It's always best to pull them off first. Lay them flat, and spray at a 45° angle, one coat on one side, then move to the other side for the next coat, then move back for the third coat, etc.

That prevents runs, and yeah, definitely store the cans indoors. I sprayed with cold cans before and I had to sand it down and start over. Looked like death.

This is what my taillight bezels looked like when they were finished (this was on my 1996 Mustang GT). The bezels on those taillights came in a really irritating chrome, so I found Duplicolor in Ford Pacific Green Metallic and went to town.

Can't beat a rattle-can job that looks factory.

It's always best to pull them off first. Lay them flat, and spray at a 45° angle, one coat on one side, then move to the other side for the next coat, then move back for the third coat, etc.

That prevents runs, and yeah, definitely store the cans indoors. I sprayed with cold cans before and I had to sand it down and start over. Looked like death.

This is what my taillight bezels looked like when they were finished (this was on my 1996 Mustang GT). The bezels on those taillights came in a really irritating chrome, so I found Duplicolor in Ford Pacific Green Metallic and went to town.

Can't beat a rattle-can job that looks factory.

Hmmm, Yeah I decided not to take them off because its Plasti-Dip, but next time ill def use warm cans and make sure its a mist.

Wow, thats a pretty bad outcome. I have been Plasti-dipping friends cars, my own, my laptop, etc for almost 2 years...I have never had that happen before! Remember, if it ****s up within the first coat, just finish it. It will be hell removing it with goof off.

So I decided to plast dip my emblems. Here are pics of how it came out. I think I have 2 reasons why it came out crappy. (4 layers - 15 mins between each layer)
1- Because it was cold, and the can was cold so it the spray was blotchy instead of a fine mist
2- I think I sprayed to close (I was 6-8 Inches away)

I will try again soon when its warmer. Let me know if any one has tips!

Thanks in advance!
I think i can help

peel the old dip away (goo gone works) if its cold warm the can up by letting it sit in warm water before spraying and in between coats (make sure it doesnt get in the nozzle) spray about 8in away and blow on it after it sets with a blow dryer for best results. A tooth pick is a handy removal tool for excess dip hope this helps and what ever you do never use flexi dip its inferior

Attachments

Last edited:
Same thing happened to me the other day. The Problem was cold cans as well. As stated above, place them in warm water before dipping and while you wait for the coats to dry. It also helps to keep the nozzle clean.