Radio Rebooting?

SPW

My radio just recently went black and then started to what looks like rebooting. The progress bar gets just to the end and then goes black again and starts rebooting. Any know if there is a simple fix to this? Car is a 2014 Corolla S with the navigation, 78k miles.

upload_2016-10-10_21-17-25.png

This problem started for me just this last weekend. I called entune customer service and support who told me I needed a firmware update. I got it to the dealer on Tuesday, after I tried several things myself. Unhooked the battery, took the dash off as suggested in the video, unhooked and re plugged in everything. Still no success. Dealer also says I need a new system and they can't update the firmware. I notice my USB doesn't work to charge my phone which might be significant, but I don't know. I have had this car less than a year. I'm also out of warranty with only 43000 on my Corolla. All I can say is I'm disgusted with the service I got from the dealer I took my car too. I know that there have been several people with the same issue. Please post if you find a solution.

SPW

Is it after you've installed an update? Have you tried disconnecting the battery? I'm sure dealer can reprogram via USB.
I did not have any updates performed. Tried disconnecting battery and no luck. Dealer wants $100 just to diagnosis. Everything else I have seen with this issue the dealer is telling them they need a new radio for a small cost of 3k.

Chef, what year is your corolla, trim and do you have Navi?

- do use your USB connector for media, usb thumb drives or phone charging?
- what version of firmware on the system do you have ( probably can't tell if you're unable to access radio, mine's : AU.70.64 for GUI, Nav, Bluetooth and everything else. I remember updating the system twice since I got it new. Mine's a 2015 premium with navigation.

I would hold off on replacing a radio. This sounds like a software not hardware issue.

Please describe your entune habits, did you install any new applications on it?
What's the climate like where you live, did it just get warm or really cold?

How many miles on your corolla?

Please answer those questions as this is becoming alarming if more people are starting to experience this.

I have the same problem 2014 Le premium with navigation,910.00 to replace. 78,000miles, out of warranty . Toyota Care offered no help or solutions.

Has anyone who's radio went out gotten over the air update? Ever? Also, in your settings ones who's radios are working, check and make sure that enable update over HD and Bluetooth phone is enabled and not just over HD (I'm assuming it means manually via hardware USB stick).
I've gotten two updates on my 2015 since I had it new, only 23k miles on it but time will tell. It sucks that a lot of you are having this issue. I'm sure once more and more people report this, there will either be a fix or some type of a recall from Toyota.

How much is a new radio for ones that had to replace it at the dealer?

About a million, not just corollas, multiple vehicles with similar radio systems starting in 2014 and going all the way to 2016. We have updated
software and solved the problem for some, some however, had to have a head unit replacement. Almost all of the ones we have done have still been
under bumper to bumper.

Anyone find a fix for this problem? Mine just started 2014 Corolla S Plus, Radio #100150 (from the top right of the radio). Seems like a lot of people are experiencing the same problem. Toyota is trying to charge me $1200.

I can't offer a definite answer. But from time from time my Jeep system malfunctions.

There is a "hidden procedure" to do a soft reset by holding in certain buttons and they can wipe the radio with an Over the air command while I hold some buttons.

The upshot is that you may have to Google around for a soft reset procedure or pay a genuine Toyota tech on repair pal to find out how to find out to fix this.

I can't offer a definite answer. But from time from time my Jeep system malfunctions.

There is a "hidden procedure" to do a soft reset by holding in certain buttons and they can wipe the radio with an Over the air command while I hold some buttons.

The upshot is that you may have to Google around for a soft reset procedure or pay a genuine Toyota tech on repair pal to find out how to find out to fix this.
Does your Jeep use Entune system like toyotas do or something else?

Have you thought of replacing the stock radio with an aftermarket radio? I got similar issue before and just replace it with an aftermarket radio from seicane, it works well for me. I hope you can solve the problem soon too.

Have you thought of replacing the stock radio with an aftermarket radio? I got similar issue before and just replace it with an aftermarket radio from seicane, it works well for me. I hope you can solve the problem soon too.
does your replacement radio offer full functionality similar to Entune including streering wheel control integration, backup camera? Basically does everything work?

Whenever I'm hearing about these issues, it looks like the owners never received over the air updates and their firmware/update version is different from mine. I've received two over the air updates since I had the car new from 2015 so I'm hoping one of those is going to keep it from crapping out.

I've run into this same problem today. I work at a Toyota dealer and they tried updating but said that the radio kept freezing in the middle of the update so, they said that it needs to be replaced. Of course mine is also a 2014 and I have 75K miles and am out of warranty. We should not have to worry about investing money into a radio system this soon into ownership!

Chef

Reading up it seems like the manufacture of this video tends to go out every three years . How much is to add a charging you to put in a new radio? If anything I probably will just go to stereo please just get another type of model radio. When I posted this a few months back they replace the whole thing but I would have the car for a week and a half . Got lucky

I have the same issue, it started a week ago... my screen reboots, i did not do any "air" update..... it sterted rebooting out of nowhere, please help! Thxs
Most likely the reason why it fudged up. It's because you've never updated or never got an over the air update to the radio through your cell phone. I've gotten three since I bought the car so not sure why it's so inconsistent with other users. I didn't fore it either, first one was about a month after I purchased it, got prompted to install an update, yes or not, hit YES, maybe year later I've gotten another one and 6 months after that I've gotten one more. I haven't received any updates since then.

Toyota technician here. This is a common occurrence. Usually the customer complains of the radio randomly rebooting, freezing, Bluetooth connectivity issues or touch screen inoperable. This applies to Camrys, Corollas, Tundras, 4Runners, Highlanders. We usually do a radio software update if applicable. In some cases replacing the radio assembly is required. Most of the cars experiencing this issue is still under the 3yr/36k warranty. Some customers without factory warranty has some type of extended warranty whether it be Toyota Extended Care or a 3rd party company that usually covers the cost.

This happened to my daughters 2014 Corolla S 2 days ago. She took it to the Toyota dealer and they told her it would be $1,000 to fix it. Her car just hit...drum roll please....70,000 miles. Her mom bought the car new and gave it to our daughter as a graduation present. A big reason she bought a Toyota was because they are bulletproof...reliable as hell. Or at least they used to be. The mileage should not impact a radio. And to have this happen on a 4 year old car is totally unacceptable. I'm so ticked off at this right now that I'm ready to take her down and trade it on a Kia. I mean...if Toyota is going to lower their standards to Kia quality, we might as well just pay less and get the Kia. Oh yeah....she went top dog on it and got a GPS ($2K additional cost) which no longer works.

I remember reading somewhere that the problem was with the Fujitsu manufactured models and I believe that they have switched to Panasonic.
This doesn’t help anyone with a 2014-2016 model, but at least Toyota did something about it.
It only seemed to effect the NAV models. I have a ‘14 with touchscreen, but it’s not NAV, so I haven’t had any problems with it.
I just replaced it with a Kenwood last week, 100 times better!

My 2014 corolla sport doing the rebooting about 3 weeks. Toyota has always been so good im surprised they are not being very helpful. I cant affird a new system and the reason i got it was navigation xm and bluetooth. I am so angry. Tried the battery reset already

My 2014 corolla sport doing the rebooting about 3 weeks. Toyota has always been so good im surprised they are not being very helpful. I cant affird a new system and the reason i got it was navigation xm and bluetooth. I am so angry. Tried the battery reset already
That's a bummer when you stretch for those factory options, just for them not to work. That must be frustrating.

I never had entune Nav, but through aftermarket parts, and if you install it yourself, I found that Pioneer offers some good options and aftermarket navigation using the AVICS system. (dont know what AVICS means, but its the designation given to any hardware required for GPS navigation.) For around $800, +/- $150.

Or you can pull your hair out trying to find a solution with the dealership, though I would not advise this route.

Best of luck! ;)

Try looking at your trunk speaker wires and make sure they're not wobbly or in contact with any metal parts, some have indicated that to be the cause.

I have a 2014 Corolla that I bought new and I've had the same problem with the rebooting Entune system for several months now. I've tried several solutions that were suggested online but nothing works -- the entertainment system just keeps trying to reboot and there's no way to even turn it off to get rid of the distracting screen that keeps coming on every few minutes.

I contacted the Toyota customer service line and they told me they weren't aware of any problems with the Entune entertainment system and that I should take it to a Toyota service center. I took it in to Toyota to have the unit checked out and they also said that they weren't aware of the problem with Entune systems but that I could leave my car for a day and they would run diagnostics on it. I found this lack of awareness about the issue pretty outrageous given the number of discussion forums there are on the internet and on Toyota's own blog concerning the problem. Everyone seems to know about how crappy the Entune system is but Toyota!

My wife and I have been buying/driving Toyotas since 1986 and currently she and I and our daughter are each driving Toyotas. I've been pleased with the mechanical reliability of Toyotas over the years, but hey -- this is 2018 and cars these days are all about electronics. If Toyota can't get its electronics right and can't take responsibility for having defective components in its cars then I'll be looking at Honda's the next time I need a new car.

As for the rebooting Entune system, don't waste your time trying to deal with Toyota customer service -- just go out and replace it with a Kenwood, Pioneer or JVC system. It will be a lot cheaper and much less aggravating.

I contacted the Toyota customer service line and they told me they weren't aware of any problems with the Entune entertainment system and that I should take it to a Toyota service center. I took it in to Toyota to have the unit checked out and they also said that they weren't aware of the problem with Entune systems
I don't know what kind of people you talk to but it is a known issue with it's own TSB : https://static.nhtsa.gov/odi/tsbs/2016/SB-10086507-5448.pdf
As you said, it's all about electronics and unfortunately, going to another brand isn't always a better option : check Honda's, Mazda's and Ford's forum... Right now, U-Connect (FCA), a system regularly praised by reviewers, has thousands of units stuck in reboot after an update. Out of the car world, Windows and iOS themselves have their share of bugs.

ZeCorolla

I Love Corolla's!
"this is 2018 and cars these days are all about electronics. If Toyota can't get its electronics right and can't take responsibility for having defective components in its cars then I'll be looking at Honda's the next time I need a new car."

I hate when people think like this. No matter how an electronic is deigned, it will fail. Unless an electronic gets constant support such as an operating system like Windows or IOS where they get updates every few months or even weeks, it will not last forever and eventually it will be outdated and fail. Such is the case with these vehicle display systems that are in cars now. All of them are having problems because they aren't updated regularly just like when a phone is too old to be updated or is unsupported, they get slow or have problems. That's why you should choose your vehicle based on it's mechanical build quality. If mechanically, a car was built right from the factory, it will never go wrong as long as it is maintained. I'm dumbfounded by the amount of people who would choose a car soley based on the computer that is the entertainment system that comes with it. :rolleyes:

I'm dumbfounded by the amount of people who would choose a car soley based on the computer that is the entertainment system that comes with it.
Can't agree more... I've never cared, to say the least, for reviews raving about CarPlay/Auto and/or apps being or not being in a car. Apps and phones change much faster and more often then cars. Therefore, obsolescence and compatibility are on collision course. Most troubled units seem to be those requiring updates via phone (whatever the car brand). I'm not saying that's OK and that car companies shoudn't mind, but it shouldn't come as a surprise just as our home tablets/laptop can't handle updates at a certain point.

Jolly - thanks for posting the TSB link. It helped me further explore and better understand the problem with my Entune system. A few additional thoughts:

1 - WOW! There a ton of Entune problems identified in the TSB. Hopefully Toyota has decided to put better systems in their cars moving forward.

2 - I forgot to mention that my auto mechanic (non-Toyota guy that I regularly go to when our warranties expire) indicated that he checked the service bulletin and saw that stalled reboot was a known issue. That's why I was particularly annoyed when the service guy at Toyota didn't seem to have a clue what I was talking about. The TSB gives clear instructions on how to update the system -- why wasn't my Toyota service rep able to figure this out????

3 - With a few more Google searches, I saw that Toyota has started offering updates online. However, when I checked on available downloads I got messages that I had to take the car in to Toyota to get the update. Helpful but not helpful.

4 - I spend a lot of time in my car and need a good integrated system to take hands-free phone calls. It's a safety issue and a legal issue -- if consumers buy a car with the expectation that it will have certain safety features, then those safety features should last more than 2.5 years before completely failing.

5 - I get it that electronics need constant updates and software eventually becomes obsolete, but not in 2.5 years!!! I've had iPhones and iPads that I've kept for years and the only problem I've had is that they no longer can accept software update due to lack of compatibility -- eventually I've needed to upgrade to newer units, but they didn't completely stall and stop working when newer versions came out!! Toyota (and apparently other manufacturers) need to figure out a way to conveniently deliver software updates to consumers over longer periods of time. I'm not forced to go to the Apple store and pay to have my iPhone updated every time new software is released -- nor should I have to return to Toyota to get my Entune software updated. It's 2018, guys, figure this one out!

Anyway.... at least with the TSB in hand I'll be able to go back to Toyota and have a more informed discussion, though it's a bit disturbing that I need to do all this internet research in order to educate my service center rep on what the problem might be.....

There's a YouTube video of a guy that found a fix for this. It v worked on my entune radio on my 2014 Corolla S!
Apparently there the guy found a Best buy tech that shared the information with him.
He says to disconnect the negative connection on your battery. Pump your brakes at least ten times. Reconnect and start your car. It works like a charm & saved me lots of money!

There's a YouTube video of a guy that found a fix for this. It v worked on my entune radio on my 2014 Corolla S!
Apparently there the guy found a Best buy tech that shared the information with him.
He says to disconnect the negative connection on your battery. Pump your brakes at least ten times. Reconnect and start your car. It works like a charm & saved me lots of money!
What was your original Entune radio problem ?