Rear Drum Noise

Please Help - I am getting a noise coming from the rear drums of a 2003 Carolla.

I am getting the grinding noise when I apply the breaks. The sound comes in and out like the drum is not true round.

The odd thing is that I don't get the noise when I use the parking brake to slow the car.

Any ideas or suggestions?

I get a similar sound even when the brakes arn't applied. I replaced the bearings the drums, and the pads and the noise came back. I just learned to live with it. Actually my wife learned to live with it

fishycomics

Super Moderator
Yes bearing can make noise as you travel at a certain speed they can be heard. can be come quite expensive if not taken care of especially a bearing. you may see that wheel ride pass you...

rk97

My understanding of the rear hub assembly is that it's all one piece, and you can't simply swap the bearing like one would think... I had a horrible "whirring" noise on my car and replacing the left rear hub fixed it. Cost was around $300, which is more than it should have been, but after watching a couple of Youtube videos of people struggling to remove the old hub that is rusted in place, I was fine with paying someone else to be miserable for 2+ hours...