Replacement Key Options

Good afternoon,

I recently purchased a pre-owned 2014 Corolla LE. This model uses the key/remote combo and does not have remote start or push button start. The dealership only provided me with one key (and I return I only provided one key with the trade in of my 2011 Maxima).

What cost-effective options do you all recommend to get a second key that will unlock and start the vehicle.

Best Regards,

Ray

If you want a key with the unlock button on the same fob as the ignition key then I'd go to the dealer.

Some stores can cut a key for you but that will only work in the ignition (and to manually unlock the doors). Call around and ask if places like lowes and Ace Hardware can create chipped-keys.

Independent AMSOIL Dealer, Contact me to get the world's best oil for prices lower than brands like Mobil1 and Royal Purple!

GoldMedalSyntheticOils.com

You have to buy a chipped key, and usually, to self-program it, you need two keys (prevents someone with your key from easily making a chipped copy unless they have both).

fishycomics

Super Moderator
Could you not have worked out a deal with the sales team as only one key was offered. I guess you now know why you got one key?

Option are purchase at parts department pay full price.

Purchase on Ebay, locksmith Home Depot Lowes. And pay less to get the keys

If something goes wrong with the key and it is your last one. What will be your option. Replacing the transponder system or getting that key?

New pre owned car pay the price and do not eat out for the next few weeks. Bag it. Sometimes you have to do what is best. Understanding things should. Of cost an arm and leg

This is also my situation as I just bought a pre-owned with one key. I know the dealers are expensive. I been checking online and one can buy online, have it cut by an auto locksmith and either self-program the key or take it to the dealer.

My question is if I get a copy - standard key (without the buttons to open doors/trunk), does it still need to be programmed meaning that the car will not turn on? Or will the car turn on as long as it is cut correctly? I know with some cars, there are 2 programming - to lock/unlock doors & for car to turn on. Thanks.

Won't work unless the chip in the key is compatible with Toyota's Passive Anti-Theft system. I'm pretty sure a chipped key without the built in remote would work as long as the key was for the same year (like a key for an L model)

fishycomics

Super Moderator
With today Aftermarket alarm systems, Like ihave I don't have to waste a Key its a module, that does only require a passcode program. is that amazing. no programmed key Lol.

I have an update for others who may also ask about replacement key options. I checked with Home Depot who does make certain car key duplicates (with chips) but they told me they cannot for 2014 Corolla. So don't bother with them.

I checked with two local locksmiths. One told he couldn't but the second one said they could. They charged $130 for the basic key (without buttons to lock/unlock doors), cut and programming. I believe the key with the buttons would have been about $210. My local Toyota dealer wanted $270. I got the $130 and it worked perfectly. Just a FYI so you have an idea.