Revs 'Jumping'

Hello all, I have just bought a 2003 Corolla CE 5sp manual with 202 000. The car is in very good condition and drives well with new brakes and tires. I have notice that when I shift into a gear and accelerate the revs jump from 2000 to 3000 but the car doesnt accelerate at the same speed. Almost like the clutch is slipping but it seems fine when pulling away from a stop or shifting gears.

Any ideas on this? I am thinking the plugs need to be changed ASAP and time for an oil change, should a car with this mileage change over to synthetic?

Any ideas?

No check engine light

It's the clutch being worn. Worn clutch doesn't affect gear changes. A bad throw-out bearing will affect gear changes.

Eventually you will notice slipping when you launch from a stop and then the engine will spin and nothing will happen.

A tune-up isn't a bad idea, and neither is using high-mileage oil, which I believe is synthetic-blend. I think the 2003 was 5W-20 but don't quote me on it.

Hello all, I have just bought a 2003 Corolla CE 5sp manual with 202 000. The car is in very good condition and drives well with new brakes and tires. I have notice that when I shift into a gear and accelerate the revs jump from 2000 to 3000 but the car doesnt accelerate at the same speed. Almost like the clutch is slipping but it seems fine when pulling away from a stop or shifting gears.

Any ideas on this? I am thinking the plugs need to be changed ASAP and time for an oil change, should a car with this mileage change over to synthetic?

Any ideas?

No check engine light
Welcome to the Corolla Forum! :thumbup::thumbup1::clap::balloon::party:

How many miles have you owned the car for?

By your description, it sure sounds like the clutch is slipping. Drive the car exceedingly gently until you can get it professionally diagnosed and repaired because every time the clutch slips it is wearing clutch material off of the clutch surface and this will eventually lead to total clutch failure, with the car not moving at all. 202,000 miles is a lot of miles as well and another indicator that the clutch is in need of replacement. Unfortunately, clutch replacements aren't cheap. Take your Corolla to several different transmission shops and they should be able to test drive it for you for free and provide a written estimate for replacing the clutch, if needed.

The spark plugs wont have anything to do with the issue the car is having and may not need replacing at all. Remove and reinstall each spark plug one at a time so you can take a good look at them and see what kind of shape they are in. This is also a very good way to diagnose the internal health of the engine because the condition of the spark plugs tells us the internal condition of the engine itself. It couldn't hurt to have your Corolla's onboard computer scanned to look for any stored trouble codes. Advance Auto Parts will do this for you for free.

My product application guide lists Toyota as recommending a 5W-30 oil viscosity and yes, you can upgrade to a synthetic oil. I'm an independent AMSOIL synthetic lubricants dealer and I provide all Corolla Forum members wholesale prices via an AMSOIL Preferred Customer membership. These wholesale prices lower the price of AMSOIL, "The First in Synthetics", (tm), to prices lower than competing synthetic oils. Using AMSOIL, you'll benefit from improved fuel economy, reduced engine operating temperatures/a cooler running engine, longer engine life, more power/better throttle response, reduced maintenance costs, an internally cleaner engine, reduced emissions, easier cold winter engine starts, superior high and low temperature engine protection and save money.

Hello all,

Thanks for the great replies. I work at a Toyota dealer in Ottawa, ON so I just picked up the car, it has 202 000 KM not miles (about 160 000 miles) but I agree that it is time for a new (refurbished?) clutch.

I will start shopping around. I appreciate that advice on the oil and might try some HM stuff, but I ve had the car on a hoist and there is no oil leaks at the moment.

I will check the plugs this weekend. Previous maintenance history is spotty at best, the air filter was new but the cabin air filter was completely clogged and full of leaves and stuff when I check yesterday (already replaced) so I need to give it a once over. I am lucky because we have a master tech at work who will do stuff on the side if we buy the parts :)

Great forum and really helpful!

Did fine in my Mustang GT with 225,000 miles.

Yeah, clutches on a FWD are brutal. Did the one on my Focus and by the time the transmission was out, I was about 12 connectors, a couple hoses, a fuel line, and a motor mount away from having the engine out of the car.

You need to remove the spindle, the half shafts, etc. Takes work. Most places just pull the transmission out with the motor since it makes the bellhousing bolts easier to get to.

In my '82 Mustang GT I could do a clutch in under 3 hours. Was cakewalk, but that car had a seperate bellhousing. Most new cars have the bellhousing integrated into the transmission which makes it a pain.

High Mileage motor oil.

Is it worth it?

I've start shopping for a new clutch..the part is cheap the labour is expensive.
In my personal opinion, it's a marketing gimmick used by the big oil industry to increase motor oil sales.

How long do you want the engine to last? Would a fuel economy increase be desirable? Would it help to have easier cold winter engine starts?