Shaky Steering Wheel!

Hi Everyone! Hope all is well! I have a small issue that i am noticing with my corolla 08. When I am on the highway and doing above 50 mph and i brake, the steering wheel vibrates a little as long as i have the foot on the brake. this is not happening at lower speeds like 25 - 35 mph. do you guys know what is going on?
Thank you for all the replies.

Time to get the rotors turned and replace the pads. Depending on the grade of brakes, looking at $200 to $500 for a shop to do, or $80 to $300 yourself (turning rotors is around $15 each at most shops). Just remember, you pay for what you get.

Make sure the rotors don't have spider cracking. To ensure that never happens again after the brake job, make sure you only brake hard in an emergency, and don't go from 70 to 0 and hold the brakes down. Slow down to 10, coast for about 100 feet, then come to a stop.

I had a 2008 Matrix with brakes that were shot out from aggressive driving, and they are the same brake

Last edited by a moderator:
You may noy have to buy them. Have a mechanic take a look at them. If you don't have prior experience with brakes, I don't recommend attempting to replace them yourself.

thank u. what make brake rotors do you recommend? do i have to buy a certain model rotors or are all the rotors the same?
These days brake rotors are not what they used to be and warp comparatively easily. What typically warps brake rotors is using the brakes aggressively and holding the brake pedal down all the time until the car comes to a stop. This can get the brake rotors so hot it can cause them to glow red and warp. Instead, when applying the brakes to come to a stop, gently pump the brakes to allow air to cool the brake pads and rotors, which helps prevent the rotors from warping.

Brake rotors are now so inexpensive that many times it costs less to simply replace them than to pay to have them turned/machined. Also, turning the brake rotors removes metal from the rotor, making the brake rotor thinner, which increases the likelihood the brake rotors will warp yet again.

As for the quality of the brake rotor, ask for something better than made in China, "quality". Your very life depends on the brakes in your car, so try to use better quality, higher priced brake rotors.