Shocks and Struts?

I have 81,000 miles on my 09 Corolla LE. A friend of mine was at the office the other day and he has shocks that he fills with compressed air.. because he carries a lot of tools in a minivan for work.

But anyway, it got me thinking.. I'm going to be getting work on my car done soon and I think eventually shocks and/or struts should be on my list.. it got me thinking.. is there something special out there to give me a really comfortable ride? Or do I really just look at a nice / more expensive shock?

I guess I could say the same question about brakes when it comes time to do them also.. my Cousin only buys OEM parts. The guy at my office likes aftermarket brands, because he gets a higher performance / longer lasting brake.

Shocks that get filled with compressed air are typically only available on box frame trucks, vans, and SUVs ... they won't be available for unibody cars, especially the Corolla. You'll just have to read reviews of different shock manufacturers and see which one gives the most comfortable ride.

For brakes, I buy EBC. Expensive ($300 for a set of 3DG rotors and Yellowstuff Kevlar pads) but way worth it. Unless you are into motorsports, they will be overkill for you, and a decent set of slotted rotors with ceramic brakes will be sufficient.

if you want a softer ride you need to change the springs as they carry the weight of the car the shocks control the rebound of the spring so the car doesnt bounce after going over a bump you can get compressed air shocks for your car but this is not a typical thing on a corolla so it will not be easy, but it is possible.

I wouldn't recommend going with softer springs, as it will reduce how well the car handles to the point that it can be dangerous in an emergency maneuver.