Starter Sometimes Grinds

Dave

Is anyone else having this problem? This is the first car I've ever had where I didn't need to hold the key until the engine starts. I can just bump it and the starter keeps turning until the engine cranks. Sometimes though, the starter will grind for about a second after the engine starts. Surely I'm not the only one who has this problem

Scott O'Kashan

Super Moderator
Dave, I've never personally seen a car do that before. It sure sounds like something isn't right with the starter. It certainly shouldn't be grinding like that and that will eventually chip teeth off of the flywheel and/or starter gear, leaving you stranded somewhere with a car that wont start. It might be best to have a professional automotive technician diagnose this. It sounds like the starter motor is going bad.

How many miles do you have on this Corolla?

My 2009 corolla has done that since about 70,000. It has 145,000 on it now. I took it in under warranty. The dealer couldn't get it to do it. It happens maybe every 40 starts or so. Possible causes Sticky Bendix in the starter not disengaging, sticky ignition switch, or battery low voltage. These cars have auto starting. When you hit the key they keep cranking till it starts unless you turn the key off. If your's is like mine it stays out maybe 1-2 seconds and stops.

Is anyone else having this problem? This is the first car I've ever had where I didn't need to hold the key until the engine starts. I can just bump it and the starter keeps turning until the engine cranks. Sometimes though, the starter will grind for about a second after the engine starts. Surely I'm not the only one who has this problem

Dave

My 2009 corolla has done that since about 70,000. It has 145,000 on it now. I took it in under warranty. The dealer couldn't get it to do it. It happens maybe every 40 starts or so. Possible causes Sticky Bendix in the starter not disengaging, sticky ignition switch, or battery low voltage. These cars have auto starting. When you hit the key they keep cranking till it starts unless you turn the key off. If your's is like mine it stays out maybe 1-2 seconds and stops.
That's exactly what mine is doing. Hasn't done it in a while now. Think it's weather related. If it's been raining for days or cold is when I seem to notice it

They have auto starting? My girl has a 2010. I'm going to give that a shot.

And does the noise happen to be this?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kYZJ7KUiA0c

Because hers does that noise (and again, only when it is cold out). I'm going to take her car to the dealership tomorrow since the powertrain warranty is about up, because I heard some people say it has something to do with the cam timing (although I don't see how). See what they say. If they tell me it is the starter, I'll replace it myself since I don't think the starter counts for powertrain warranty, and I can get a lifetime warranty on one from O'Reillys

Kev250R

This is my other car
I was going to ask the same thing, my 2010 Corolla doesn't seem to have that but I've never tried it either; I'm old-school and just hold the key until it starts. My work truck does have an auto-start feature but for the first year or so I drove it I still held the key like always. I've gotten used to it now but still don't really see the point.

Kevin

Yes. That's the sound...... On autostart turn the key to start and let it go. It will crank till it starts, or until you turn off.

They have auto starting? My girl has a 2010. I'm going to give that a shot.

And does the noise happen to be this?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kYZJ7KUiA0c

Because hers does that noise (and again, only when it is cold out). I'm going to take her car to the dealership tomorrow since the powertrain warranty is about up, because I heard some people say it has something to do with the cam timing (although I don't see how). See what they say. If they tell me it is the starter, I'll replace it myself since I don't think the starter counts for powertrain warranty, and I can get a lifetime warranty on one from O'Reillys

My girl starts it normally and it still does it.

Fishy, it's all done by PCM so an aftermarket starter shouldn't eliminate the feature. PCM keeps the relay active until it determines that the engine is running.

Kev250R

This is my other car
So last night I had the chance to drive my Corolla and tried it. Mine's bone-stock (no remote starter) and sure enough it has auto-start. Funny because on my F-450 the factory auto-start annoys me to no end. On the Corolla, not so much, although I start the F-450 differently than I do the Corolla.

While we're on the subject, what's the point of the Tach and Speedometer needles swinging-through their arcs? At least on the Corolla it's a quick process, on my Ford all the gauges do a little dance. Are they doing stretching exercises? LOL

Fishy, I also tried turning my key off while my Corolla was in gear (Drive) as you did in your video. On my car it turns the engine off. And gives my neighbors something new to talk about :laughing:

Kevin