Stereo Upgrade

This part lost me ...

It is just plug and play, correct?

(i.e. splice the 13 or so wires from the Pioneer to the new harness and plug the new harness into the car and you are good to go, correct?)
Yes the camera polarity is in the Pioneer settings has battery ground and off don't know if other stereos has similar settings for the backup camera to turn on. I can take pictures if needed.

No it makes sense now - it is asking whether the camera input wire is triggered by +12V, by GND, or the camera essentially is not used by the head unit.

Makes sense to me, but it isn't something I would have thought to check, so thanks for posting it.

No it makes sense now - it is asking whether the camera input wire is triggered by +12V, by GND, or the camera essentially is not used by the head unit.

Makes sense to me, but it isn't something I would have thought to check, so thanks for posting it.
:thumbsup: glad I can help I'll keep y'all posted about the kits when the guy who made them comes back from vacation.

That's the same system I had in my Matrix. Does it automatically show the screen when you go into reverse or do you have to go to AUX Video?
I noticed that the fm reception isn't as good with the Pioneer did you have less reception with yours in the matrix? Trying to figure out if it's the Pioneer head unit or the antenna adapter.

If you are on HD mode with FM, shut off the auto switching so that it stays in analog. Right now HD Radio coverage is modest at best, and I kept switching between analog and digital and was getting poor sound as a result. Keeping it analog only helped out a ton.

Check the adapter. The Pioneer was comparable to the factory stereo (when I switched to Analog only).

In the 2014 I can't help you. I only use XM and Bluetooth Streaming via Google Play

Possible the Pioneer just does not get along with glass overlay antennas ... unless you have a defective unit. It could happen. It shouldn't have gotten worse going to the Pioneer ... that isn't normal.

Possible the Pioneer just does not get along with glass overlay antennas ... unless you have a defective unit. It could happen. It shouldn't have gotten worse going to the Pioneer ... that isn't normal.
I had good reception with the same stereo in the fusion I had before but it had an external antenna is there anyway to add an external antenna and or antenna amplifier?

I have I've unplugged it from the factory antenna harness and the reception stayed the same.
There are a couple of things to check - I am familiar with Metra, but I think you are using a 3rd-party harness (unless that was just power and didn't include the antenna.

I also don't know the 2014 Corolla harness wiring.

Pioneer usually has among the best aftermarket FM reception - (oddly for reasons I can't explain OEM's tend to do better with general FM reception, voice command, etc.) Aftermarket does better with sound quality, expandability, iPod integration, display, etc. Pioneer should be AT LEAST very close if not better than OEM, though. HD reception is very spotty if you aren't in a major city downtown - but your unit is not HD capable.

What you verified is the radio works the same with or without the antenna connected, so it is the same as if you had the radio with no antenna connected.

Ideas:

- http://community.crutchfield.com/car_audio_and_video/f/27/t/26716.aspx Pin 8 is the antenna booster on some Toyota's - if you have the same plug type, see if connecting Pin 8 to the blue/white wire on the Pioneer helps.

- It's possible (maybe likely) that whatever adapter you are using to go from the Toyota wiring to the Motorola plug (http://metraonline.com/part/40-LX11 - 40-LX11 if you were using Metra) is defective and/or it also needs it's blue wire connected to the Pioneer blue/white wire.

- Sometimes with some radios, the antenna works better if you either more fully or less fully insert the motorola plug into the radio. (I've never experienced it, and I've heard of it more with Clarion radios, but it's something to try.)

- Older Toyota's used a dual-diversity system with two antennas and the OEM radio would always select the strongest signal - but I don't think any modern ones do that.

- You can try using an underdash or even a standard antenna behind the dash and seeing how it works, but that would be a last result and shouldn't be required. - http://www.sonicelectronix.com/cat_i519_universal-antennas.html?category_id=519&sort_order=price_asc - If you go this direction, I would buy locally that you can return if it doesn't help out or test out various models.

- Antenna boosters are available, but in my experience, they don't tend to help much - (and the one I tried destroyed my AM reception).

Let us know what you find out.

Last edited:
I'm curious if OP has any update regarding this harness.

I myself am also looking to upgrade my factory stereo and my main concern is retaining the factory OEM camera.

Thanks - Crux is a reputable company (Crutchfield carries them).

From your previous comments in the thread, it sounded like something some college kid wired up in his garage.

It looks like this part is too new to hit the retail chains yet, but pricing looks like it will be in the $80-$160 range.

Not terrible. Metra would allow you to wire in the radio for $10, but then you need the antenna adapter for $10 and the SWC adapter for about $75 - and they don't have a solution for keeping the rear-view camera or AUX inputs.

Was that regular price for it?

(I got the impression you might have gotten a discount b/c it sounded like they were developing it specifically for your car.)

You can get the Metra ASWC-1 for $40 so price is about the same.

Basically - it ends up as:

Crux advantages - Integrates the OEM rear-view camera. With Metra, you would either have to wire in an aftermarket camera (around $30 from China/Hong Kong), or you would have to cut the factory wiring and splice on a composite (yellow) RCA and possibly convert voltage also.

Metra advantages - The bluetooth buttons on the wheel MIGHT work, and the ASWC-1 is programmable so each button can have two functions - so you could map a button to BAND, which isn't an option for Crux. OTOH, if the BT buttons don't work with METRA, you only have the D-pad, center, and mode buttons and a lot of those have dual functions already, so there isn't a lot to work with.

I don't think that will happen.

It's odd, but most new car manufacturer's don't include the BT buttons on the remote control. The Steering wheel control interface is really set up to mimic the remote control functions, so if the deck doesn't have BT on the remote controls, it probably isn't going to support the SWC. Now there might be SOME decks out there that would work with it, but ...