Tire Pressure Light

I have a 2015 Toyota Corolla LE and I have the tire pressure warning light on my dash. I filled up each tire to 32 pounds but the light is still on. Does it take a certain amount of time or do I have to drive a certain amount of miles for it to go off or does this mean there something wrong with it? I literally just filled them up.

maybe it's like an CEL warning light
and requires the Pos. + battery terminal be removed momentarily
so that the 'puter can reset/recalibrate ?

that or the tire psi sensors are not calibrated correctly
possibly due to different sized tires being installed ?

The internal psi sensors inside the tires
have individual batteries in each of them
if these die and are not changed when they do...
The warning light may remain on until correction is made.

I'd start by first pulling the battery's Pos+ momentaily
and see if the 'puter resets and turns off the dash warning light.

fishycomics

Super Moderator
if your tire pressure sensor were set to 32 about 29-28 the light will come on. if it is at the boarder line riding it and warming the tire up will go away. but when its the right time to check your pressure do so, if it is at 29 then I suggest pumping it to 32psi.

I try not to ignore the tps light b/c the time I did that I had a super low tire and was going flat.

maybe it's like an CEL warning light and requires the Pos. + battery terminal be removed momentarily so that the 'puter can reset/recalibrate ?
The battery thing is really a last resort thing even for CEL. For TPMS just need a few time to re-adjust itself. It would have to do this anyway after reconnecting the battery.

When my lights came on, I filled my tires up to 35 and, after a minute or so of driving, the tire pressure warning went away. Did you try the pressure sensor reset button? I think it sits on the side of the glove box, don't quote me on that, though.

There's a button in the glove box to reset the TPMS.

After the car has sat for 3 hours or more, turn the car on (without starting it) while holding the TPMS button. It blinks 3 times when calibrating. Wait another minute before starting the car or turning it off. That's it.

Last edited:

fishycomics

Super Moderator
Fill your car up tp 35 PS when ithits 4lbs less the light will pop on if you reset like Don is telling you. if you prefer 32 and the light to pop on at 29psi leave it alone its only 3-4lbs more nothing will harm the ssstem.

Procedure to recalibrate the TPMS via the "reset" button in the upper left part of the glove box. (only needed to set a new PSI value to check, won't work if unknown new sensors are in the wheels)
As Donabed Kopoian said, let the tires cool down for a few hours before doing this.
  1. Park the vehicle in a safe place and turn the engine switch off. Initialization cannot be performed while the vehicle is moving.
  2. Adjust the tire inflation pressure to the specified cold tire inflation pressure level.Make sure to adjust the tire pressure to the specified cold tire inflation pressure level. The tire pressure warning system will operate based on this pressure level.
  3. Turn the engine switch to the “ON” position (vehicles without asmart key system) or IGNITION ON mode (vehicles with a smartkey system).
  4. Press and hold the tire pressure warning reset switchuntil the tire pressure warning light blinks slowly 3 times.
  5. Vehicles without a smart key system: Wait for a few minutes with the engine switch in the “ON” position and then turn the engine switch to the “ACC” or “LOCK” position. OR Vehicles with a smart key system: Wait for a few minutes with the engine switch in IGNITION ON mode and then turn the engine switch off.
The tire pressure warning valve and transmitter is equipped with a unique ID code. When replacing a tire pressure warning valve and transmitter, it is necessary to register the ID code. Have the ID code registered by your Toyota dealer.

Fill your car up tp 35 PS when ithits 4lbs less the light will pop on if you reset like Don is telling you. if you prefer 32 and the light to pop on at 29psi leave it alone its only 3-4lbs more nothing will harm the ssstem.
I was under the impression the cutoff point is approx 25%. So if you are running 32psi, the dash light won't trigger until it drops 8psi to 24-25psi. But you are saying the threshold is about 4psi?

I top off my tires fairly regularly so I don't see 4-5 psi drops and can't confirm if the threshold is 4 psi. I did have one deflating tire (screw) and by the time the dash light went off, it was sidewall finger soft like it had lost 8-10psi or more.

I was under the impression the cutoff point is approx 25%. So if you are running 32psi, the dash light won't trigger until it drops 8psi to 24-25psi. But you are saying the threshold is about 4psi?
Toyota isn't clear about the cutoff point, just saying "when tire pressure is critically low". So anyone estimation is just that. Basically, consider the light as a warning light like the oil pressure light : you don't wait for it to come on to check things.