Top O' The Mornin to Ya

germanpettingzoo

Former Dark Sider
Hey everybody!

I have just purchased my very first Toyota, and thought it would be a wise idea to join up here with all of you lovely folk. What I've got is a 2000 Corolla (that's kind of a given, I suppose), 5spd, with 187,000 miles.

I don't physically have hold of the car just yet but it is legally mine - I pick it up in the next week or so. These are the only pictures I grabbed (took 'em at the dealer before I even knew I was getting the car)

As you can see from that last one, she's been around the block a bit, but nowhere near how far you can push these things. With only one previous owner I figured I couldn't go wrong. I just needed a car that would work, and had a manual tranny. This is what I got.

YES, that rear suspension is sagging a little. Don't worry, I don't sit in the back :p

As to my moniker, germanpettingzoo, it comes from these lovely ladies...

...My Fox and my Rabbit, of which I no longer have either, sadly. But when I joined up at vwvortex I still had them so it made sense at the time. I've decided to keep it, even though it doesn't really apply anymore. I've kept the original Fox badge though, and I've half a mind to buy a Rabbit badge and stick them on the back of this thing. Because resale value is for chumps, right? :thumbsup:

Plans for the car: not a lot yet, really. I'm a firm believer in winter tires, so I'll be buying those very soon. The all-seasons that are on it basically have goosebumps for tread, so when winter is over I'll have to buy summer tires too. Recommendations welcome.
I also would like to improve the stereo at some point. Not that I'm not a giant fan of its cassette player, but I'm really more of a plug-in-my-phone kind of person.

I haven't spent a lot of time looking at aftermarket stuff because I don't really know what I want to do yet but I will get there in time. Anyway, nice to be here, and here's to many happy miles!

germanpettingzoo

Former Dark Sider
I hope this 2000 Corolla doesn't have the typical oil burning problems this vintage is noted for
Thanks Scott, I didn't notice any blue smoke or oil burning smells during/after the test drive (and every test drive includes a moment of being childish with the accelerator where I should have noticed). But I'll find out I guess haha.

Yeah, Donabed, I thought it looked to be in good shape!

Rev the engine up and down 4-5 times, quickly, to about 3,000 rpm and then back. Hop out of the car quickly and run to look at what's coming out of the tailpipe. If it's blue smoke, that's the typical oil burner from this generation of Corolla, 1998-2002.

This is a potentially very serious problem, as burning a quart of oil or more in only a few hundred miles is common. The oil burning can foul out spark plugs, which can lead to rough running, stalling, expensive catalytic convertor failure, failed state inspection, reduced fuel economy and even engine failure. Toyota had a defective design in the pistons for this engine from 1998-2002.

I strongly recommend checking this issue out very carefully before taking delivery of this car.

germanpettingzoo

Former Dark Sider
Just picked up the car today, and bashed about 400 miles onto it straight away. Engine is running sweet as a nut.

The tires, on the other hand, are a whole other story. Tried to kill me, they did.