Towing/Hitch for 1993 Corolla

Trying to get some suggestions/info. I'm moving in a couple months and was thinking of adding a trailer hitch to my corolla. It's a 1993 DX 1.8L automatic. I know the tow capacity is 1500max. Has anyone tried adding a hitch and/or towing with this generation or model. If i did this, it would be a small utility trailer, and with my items i need to tow, i'm guessing it would only be about 1000lbs if that much. It's not much, just items that I can't physically fit into the car. The trailer would probably weigh more than the items. Any information is appreciated, also recommendations on where to find a hitch that will install/fit. Thanks

I'd call U-Haul. They do hitch installs and will do it professionally. Hitch installation is something you don't want to go cheap on or severe damage to the unibody can occur.

I agree with Donabed Kopoian wholeheartedly. Their suggestion is right on the money! :thumbsup: :)

The only thing I'll add is that towing is very hard on the transmission, so I recommend you check/have checked, the level of the transmission fluid on the dipstick and also its overall condition. Towing with a transmission that is on its last legs, or is using transmission fluid that is at the end of its life can cause the transmission to fail. Having an automatic transmission rebuilt these days is a $2,000 + proposition.

How far do you have to tow? Where are you moving to? I hope maybe you're getting a better job? :)

Last edited:
Thanks. I'm going to call U-Haul today. It's going to be a hike, WV to FL. Going down there for school and a job. I'm still considering the hitch but I think I might be able to get away with a cargo carrier instead of a small trailer. I think it'll be enough to carry that extra cargo but not be as taxing on the car itself since it will be less weight and less to pull for that long of a distance.