Turning Key While Driving :( OCD

ok ill be straight forward here so please help me, i have bad ocd and in short am always tempted to turn the key while driving... iv only just got my licence and iv replaced a ring gear already ;( id hate to kill the fly wheel too, i need a way to stop this...on the cars end and mine to haha, iv thought about a switch between positive starter motor wire and a big isolator switch under the car that i can turn once its running, it worked but put the motor in some weird firing order when turned (tho better than before) im thinking mabey if i could modd the barrel so i can pull the key out when running then put it in the glove box - that would work. or even a switch between the wire thats responcible for that last turn of the key that cranks the starter, are there any other ideas pleasee? this is the only issue i have when driving and nothing seems to help me so i would atleast like to protect the car :) i dont care if i have to get out n flick a switch after iv started it eveytime etc. pleaseee helpp :) thankyou

Instead of modifying the car, isn't there a rabbit's foot or something else you can play with to keep you from doing that? When you turn the key you still kill power to some components (which is why an intercept for the wire between the switch and starter relay is not a good idea), and modifying the lock cylinder will make the car more susceptible to theft or the steering wheel lock activating, which are pretty bad.

See a therapist if you need to. From one man to another, modifying something around your habit solves nothing. Breaking the habit is everything.

fishycomics

Super Moderator
BY this time Toyota would have taken preventive measures on turning the Switch, they already taken preventive measure on the gas and brake pedal?

On my electron keyless alarm I can do just that turn the key without hurting the starter while running. Not while driving

What you may or can do, if some one can chime in, a Push start system may not require a key into the system, as long as your smart key is in your pocket, or near.

the fix for this sounds Simple, and can be done for your special needs, But we do not recommend tampering with the ignition system, it can be a threatening and dangerous thing to do.

go get a push start installed.

Last edited by a moderator:
Fishy, the push-button start is a good idea. My only concern would be this:

In my 2014 S, if I hold the button for 3 or more seconds while driving, or push it 3 times in rapid succession, the engine shuts down. If his habit went from turning the key to pushing the button instead ... that would be worse; however, I'm interested to see if an aftermarket push-button start would have that feature.

thanks i will get quotes for the button, ohh i owned a 62" vw beetle and the key barrel locks once its started so ya got to take turn key to the left fully n kill engine to restart it, if i get a vw ignition barrel could that be fitted? it would solve the problem :) cheers

Technically, with enough money you can do anything. It would fit, but the cost to modify the steering wheel column to accept a lock from a '62 VW would probably be expensive, and your passive anti-theft system would have to be disabled. The push-button start is probably cheaper.

fishycomics

Super Moderator
Don, if the Josh, and the SHop talked, they would left the key, disconnected. so the push would not be an issue for Josh. He would keep turning the key. But if his key habits transfer to the push. like you said, all depends on his level of his sickness. He most lily push it once, than three times. who knows, right??

Josh congrats. you keep us all posted about this. we all want to hear progress, BIG TIME Bros.

And $330.00 Installed is a great price indeed.

hey and thanks, yupp company decids to tell me its $700 because of the model corolla (03 ascent) thats crazy and not happening, im currently velcroing a plastic cup over the key everytime i start it :/ well it does the job :)

hey nothing less than 400 man and they seem to think the button jam in often aparently ad will shut of motor is pressed 4 times? think ill either keep the cup haha, ir a main switch between statermotors new wire again

fishycomics

Super Moderator
So today I read in another section here. and I thought I make a video. and sure enough, youcan turn yor key, while driving. not in "N: or "P".

fishycomics

Super Moderator
Josh I made this video and posted as well to another thread, so here I think we all may have a question or two....

Last edited by a moderator:
thankyou fishycomics :) that was awesome and much appreciated :) what auto start is that ? is it a kit? and where can i buy it? by the way my corollas manual. :)

Fishy, good video. I think his car is older though. Even on a stickshift, newer cars have a clutch interlock that won't engage the starter unless the clutch is fully depressed. My '82 GT didn't have the clutch pedal switch though.

fishycomics

Super Moderator
I am sure they bypass it like a DVD and Nav system.

But we are talking a five speed. Car can get started in any gear. Auto only neutral and park. So there may be more to the starter or story

I wait for some one who has a manual to replicate the video. B4 jumping

Last edited:

fishycomics

Super Moderator
I totally understand that when you hop in turn the key, foot got to go down on the pedal.

On RS away from the car, it is bypassed by electronics, So while Josh will have to find a better solution for a manual I can not confirm a RS for a manual.

If someone installs a remote starter on a stickshift, they bypass the clutch pedal safety switch, usually with a jumper. Remote starter systems usually state "not for vehicles with manual transmissions" because they don't want the liability for someone that remote starts the car while it is in gear.

When I was working at Olsen Tire, it was standard to park all cars with the emergency brake active, and either the car in P or 1st gear. We had some clown in the parking lot remote start his truck, and it lurched into another customer's car, and he tried to say it was our fault. We told him to call his insurance and see what they had to say about it, knowing it would be denied the second he told them about the remote starter.

fishycomics

Super Moderator
Well I guess RS should be not allowed for manual cars? Until a better plan for prevention, I say.

As for the Automati, this will start foot off brake, , I may have to walk to the other automatic and see how true that holds