Wheel Locks

Mr. K

Corolla S plus
Was thinking about getting some wheel locks for my S plus.

Worth it or waste of $? Is anyone really going to steal OEM rims? I live in a safe area and park in a secured garage at work.

Your thoughts?

Thanks.

I am planning on getting them. I live in a nice community in Florida and there have been a lot of reports of these 17" rims getting stolen. The Toyota emblem in the middle can be remove so they look aftermarket. Better get the locks...

Mr. K

Corolla S plus
I am planning on getting them. I live in a nice community in Florida and there have been a lot of reports of these 17" rims getting stolen. The Toyota emblem in the middle can be remove so they look aftermarket. Better get the locks...
Thanks, could be different in other parts of the country.

Anyone else heard of these wheels getting stolen in your local area?

Can you replace the center piece with the emblem on it for something different?

I haven't heard of anybody stealing these wheels in my area. I never bothered with wheel locks ... but I could see these rims go missing. They are gorgeous OEM wheels. I have an alarm so it should deter that. They'll pick on the Corolla without the blinking blue light.

Scott O'Kashan

Super Moderator
Mr.K - With this horrible economy, low-life thieves are stealing anything and everything they can get their hands on and not just wheels, but entire vehicles. Even catalytic convertors are being stolen from vehicles as they are parked in public parking lots. The thieves sell the catalytic convertors for the platinum that is inside them.

A set of aluminum wheels and tires are worth a lot of money and they way I see it, life is too short to worry and suffer from stress if we don't have to. So if a set of wheel locks can reduce that worry and stress, then they might very well be worth it. The only drawback I've seen from wheel locks, is that when people go to an auto center for work on their car and the wheels need to be removed, it's been my experience that it's not uncommon for the wheel lock key to become lost and then it's a major pain in the neck getting the wheels off.

fishycomics

Super Moderator
New car walk out wheels gone, it happ's good luck $20.00 locks or $50.00 one's they still can get taken off if keys are not in hand , but many will not go around bothering stock rims, just those spinners..

Here's a thought. Contact your local law enforcement office (city or county) and ask if they have any reports or statistics on vehicle equipment thefts/vandalism. That will give you a true sense of whether or not this is something you really need to worry about. I live south of Atlanta, but work in downtown. The ATL police occasionally publish bulletins and alerts about areas and types of crimes. I work in information security for a large company, and our physical security guys let us know about these. There was a rash of office creepers a couple of years ago, and the police did a good job of letting us know.