2010 Corolla - Oil Change Frequency

Done some searching but still could not get a proper answer. For a 2010 corolla with 1.8L, using regular oil. The manual recommend 6month/5k miles. Is that actually true? or I can go upto 10k with regular oil?

Scott O'Kashan

Super Moderator
Using oils formulated to minimum standards, it's best to follow the recommendations found in the owners manual for your car, as minimum standards are what those recommendations are based on.

The Big Oil industry and the old technology conventional petroleum motor oils they offer typically have recommended drain intervals of 5,000 miles or less.

Using high quality synthetic oils such as AMSOIL, up to 25,000 miles or one year drain intervals are recommended by AMSOIL Inc. and have been ever since 1972. There isn't any other oil in the world that is capable of this.

There are substantial differences in motor oils, from low end, low technology petroleum oils to high end, high quality, high technology synthetic motor oils like AMSOIL.

Kev250R

This is my other car
FWIW The manual calls for a 2010 Corolla to use synthetic oil. And the 'Maint Req'd' light will come-on every 5K miles regardless of how you drive it. I generally stick with the 5K mile rule in my Corolla but mine see's a lot of city driving. If you do a lot of highway driving stretching it farther should be okay.

Kevin

you can got to 10,000 miles if you use full synthetic 0w20 but they did not start using that until 2011 so I would still recommend you to use 5w20 I work for Toyota and that's what we use

Scott O'Kashan

Super Moderator
"Full synthetic", could likely be a lower performing Group III oil that is merely refined from an old technology petroleum crude oil or a genuine, high performance Group IV PAO based true synthetic oil. There are substantial differences between the two. :thumbsup:

fishycomics

Super Moderator
If you go over your Owner's manual wit ha fine tooth comb. you are to find the answer there?

the system lights up at 4k100 and will keep reminding you per 100 miles till you hit 5k, then you will reset and continue to drive for a 10K oil change

You have a number of option to change oil. without going into fighting details.

change oil every5k.
change just the filter at 5K and oil at 10K
change oil and filter at 10K
use the oil or syn of your choice, just remember what is recommended for the car, and you be good to go.

Ok thanks for all juicy info. I am at 5k and and at 59K. So far i only did oil change. I know at 60K. I should get everything checked. And I do mainly high speed driving. So, I will check the oil level and wait until I hit 60K and get everything done at once. Would that be recommended? And for 60k, Any recommendation on what I should get done? And I stopped going to the dealers, even though I foolishly bought the lifetime oil change plan,.....more like lifetime **** plan.