2011 Corolla - Mysterious Button and Console Charger Outlets

Hi all.. I am the new owner of a 2011 Corolla S, but have been the owner of several Toyotas through my years (1980's I had a Corolla and a Corona, and then later on a 91 Celica GTS and a 98 Tacoma) so I am a huge fan of them.. even if it has been a while. :)

This is almost like new on the inside and out so it was taken care of, and it doesnt look like it was abused at all.

Anyway.. this darn "mysterious button" has me stumped.. I cant find it in the manual nor can I find it by googling or searching this forum, so I was hoping someone would be able to tell me what the heck it is.

This thing is about 8 inches away and on the exact opposite side as what I *think* is the tire pressure reset button (the tire pressure reset button is pictured in the manual in the same place, but looks a little different than this one here).

There is no symbol near it or anything. It's a rocker button with an on/off setting (O / l ). It has been off since I got it. I tried it last night and it doesnt seem to do anything. Below is a pic of it.. it is located under the steering column.

Also, a quick question (I hope!) about the outlets inside my armrest console.. they are not working, and since I cant find anything about them in the manual either (ugh) I was hoping someone could enlighten me as to whether or not they are OEM or aftermarket parts, and if maybe there is anything I can check.. maybe something stupid, like if a wire or connector is unplugged or something? any other ideas??

I am so happy to have found this forum!! :yes: Thanks so much for reading.. hoping to hear back soon!

Scott O'Kashan

Super Moderator
Welcome to the Corolla Forum! :clap::thumbup::thumbsup::):thumbup1::balloon::party:

I concur with Donabed Kopian; those switches are not Toyota factory installed.

I'm guessing they may be to some kind of aftermarket alarm system, or theft deterrent system. Look in your phone book yellow pages under, "Automotive, Electrical", and take your vehicle to an automotive electrician who might be able to tell you what those switches are for. The wires can be traced back to whatever they connect to and by that tell you what they are for.

Last edited:
Welcome to the Corolla Forum! :clap::thumbup::thumbsup::):thumbup1::balloon::party:

I concur with Donabed Kopian; those switches are not Toyota factory installed.

I'm guessing they may be to some kind of aftermarket alarm system, or theft deterrent system. Look in your phone book yellow pages under, "Automotive, Electrical", and take your vehicle to an automotive electrician who might be able to tell you what those switches are for. The wires can be traced back to whatever they connect to and by that tell you what they are for.
Thanks, Scott. So do you think that what I thought was the tire pressure switch isnt that at all? or if it is, it's an aftermarket one (btw, that switch on the right is a little different.. i didnt push it because i thought it was to reset the tire pressure light, but it doesnt look to be an on/off switch like the other one, but just maybe a reset switch, where you push in, and it pops back (if that makes any sense). Sure wish I knew more about these darn things! Maybe in my next life I will be a mechanic! :laughing:

not oem items. the on off switch might control the power to the plugs. just a thought. as for the reset one no idea. something was installed and later removed. maybe a rocking stereo or something like that, or stobe/led stip lights. who ever did the install did a nice job of it.

Last edited:
The switches on the bottom don't look like they are OEM. Although I agree with Scott that they could be an alarm system. My Corolla has something similar but way down under the column. It might have been a switch to something that was previously installed or there's something broken in it so that it actually does power the outlets. I agree with everyone else here though that they did do a great job of making it look factory.

Both of those rocker switches are not OEM. The Tire Pressure Reset Button is best viewed when you are looking up underneath the dashboard from the footwell (the button points straight down toward the carpet about the location of the right rocker switch). If they don't power the two center console power ports (and those aren't OEM either), then I would agree with Scott that an electrician would be best.

They may have powered foglights, or an amplifier, a CB radio ... possibilities are endless.

I see what you mean now, the button on the right is a push button.

Someone mentioned LED interior lights ... it is possible the switch on the left turned them on and off, and the button on the right changed the color...

I would definitely have an electrician make sure they didn't leave exposed and powered wiring from the switches. My friend sunk thousands into an '89 Mustang that he got into the 10s ... only to have the car burned down because the person he bought it from removed the subwoofer, but left the wiring ... connected to power at that ... in the carpet.

fishycomics

Super Moderator
like said Advance auto or auto zone switches. the oultlets are as well add ons the outlet will be on the back side.

Owner could have added fog light neon light, amp, you name it.

you will have to pop open the fuse cover and look, or under the hood as well that fuse area?

You will have to look for wires from switches, trace where they go.

turning on may do harm if not knowing exactly what they are. so I find the ends and determine its source

kimberlieebee - So have you been able to get the mystery switches figured out?
Hi Scott, so sorry about my delay in getting back to you all about this! I really appreciate all of the responses!

There don't seem to be any lights or anything added, so except for the switches and the plugs, that's it. I haven't flipped them since I first posted because of what everyone said here.. unfortunately, I have been so darn busy this summer that I haven't had a chance to take it in to have it looked at yet, but am soon due for an oil change, so I will be taking it in for that and plan to have them looked at then.

I haven't forgotten, and I promise I will update everyone as soon as I find out what the heck they are/were for!

Thanks so much for checking.. and for all of the responses! I really appreciate it! :)

We do have a bunch of great folks here who honestly try to help each other out.

So there have been no mysterious electrical oddities with the vehicle then?

No, not at all.. it's a great running little car and I just love it! It is very frustrating tho, because those 2 outlets in the console were a huge plus for me.. can't imagine not having at least 2 in any car in today's day and age!

If I don't get an answer with that oil change, I will in the next couple months tho.. I am moving to Pittsburgh before the end of the year and have a friend there whose uncle owns a garage.. he specializes in electrical stuff. :)

I've heard that as cities go, Pittsburgh is a nice city.

I take it you have a job waiting for you and that's why you're moving there?
Yes, Pittsburgh really is a great city. As far as the job, unfortunately no, not yet, but I am looking. I was laid off a couple months ago after 8 years.. but luckily have been able to take some time to decide what I wanted to do and/or where I wanted to be.. and being closer to family is important to me so Pittsburgh won out!

Well in this Obama-nation economy, you are not alone, to the tune of over 15 million other people who are also out of work. :blink::thumbdown::( There's a lot of suffering going on. The way I try to keep things in perspective is that as long as I have a place to sleep at night, clothes on my back and food in my stomach, then everything else is extra, because it really is.

I'm glad to hear what I've heard about Pittsburgh is true. I've also heard the famous Pittsburgh Steelers quarterback Terry Bradshaw still lives in Pittsburgh? Do you know if that's true?

I wish you luck in your job search. Here is a website I know has helped a lot of people find jobs -

http://www.snagajob.com/

Here is another one from the very popular radio talk show host Sean Hannity on his website http://www.Hannity.com I was just listening to his program today and there are energy companies in Pennsylvania that are hiring paying $80,000 to start while providing training too! Sean had them in an on the air interview and they need a lot of new employee's! (that's an old fashioned but more accurate term for, "associates". :D:laughing:

http://jobs.expresspros.com/

I hope this helps you out! Good luck! :thumbsup:

Last edited:
Wow.. thanks so much, Scott! I really appreciate the info!

and as far as Bradshaw, I wouldn't be surprised.. I believe there may be more than one of the old guys still in the area.

Funny story here (and it will date me.. lol), but when when my daughter was a server during her undergrad years, she waited on him and his family one night in the restaurant where she worked. I am a Raiders fan and can't much stand the Steelers (or Pens for that matter!), but I do like him. She said he and his family were very nice, and the kids very respectful and well-behaved.

Anyway, while they were there in the restaurant, Polamalu dropped his fork so my daughter brought him a new one. When she picked up the one off the floor, there was a hair on it.. which of course she saved! lol.. she's not much of a sports fan so eventually gave it to the little sister of a friend. :laughing:

Anyway, true story there.. and it always makes me laugh just thinking about it tho! ha!

Back to topic.. again, thank you!! and I will let you all know when I find out what the heck those buttons are for! :)

Last edited:
Pens ... <shudders> I can't stand Cindy Crosby ... but I gotta give him credit. It's tough to play with your head up your ass and your nose in the air at the same time.