2014 Corolla - Engine Noise

every moring the lifters tap very loudly it a 2014 corolla s plus it got 36,307 yea i travel 89 miles per day back from work is use toyota oil from dealer 0 20w :eek:

Many times O.E. parts/oil/filters don't tend to be so hot, especially with economy cars which are manufactured to a price standard instead of a performance/quality standard. I have a strong suspicion that the O.E. 0W-20 Toyota, "synthetic oil", is merely a Group III, "synthetic oil", refined from petroleum oils pumped from the ground. No amount of refining a petroleum crude oil is going to magically turn it into a superior performing Group IV PAO basestock synthetic oil. Traditionally, synthetic oils have been Group IV or Group V synthetic oils that offer vastly better performance and protection than Group III, "synthetic oil", which is merely a higher refined petroleum crude oil.

How cold does it get in the morning in your neck of the woods?

Sounds like it's time to take it back to the dealer for a warranty claim.

Last edited:

koby

Mine sounded like that from the factory, switched to mobile 1 my first oil change and it runs a hell of a lot quieter

None of my customers owning Corolla's and using AMSOIL have any start up noises, at all. Zip. Start up noises indicate a lack of oil flow/lubrication, which is increased engine wear going on. The noise is coming from metal-to-metal contact and wear. As long as the engine lasts for the warranty period however, original equipment vehicle manufacturers don't tend to care about engine longevity.

Merely because a problem is common, doesn't make it normal.

One of my customers has almost 300,000 miles on his Corolla engine using AMSOIL synthetic motor oil. The engine has never needed any internal repairs whatsoever. The valve cover gasket was replaced at about 200,000 miles and the inside of the engine was clean as a whistle. :thumbsup::)

Last edited:
New and used oil analysis reports at Bobistheoilguy have shown Toyota 0W20 to be a very good quality oil, with many engines showing very little wear even after long runs with this oil. I don't know if it's a group I I I or IV, but the add pack and engine wear results are very good, and the oil is quite shear resistant.

I would be more suspicious of the oil filter and it's anti-drainback structure. Toyota uses a couple different suppliers and the quality of the filters has been inconsistent. Also, it's possible that the noise could be something other than the lifters. Even fuel injectors can be noisy. I would get the dealer to diagnose the noise with an engine stethoscope.

I'm sure amsoil is a very good oil, but I believe based on data I've seen that Toyota oil is very capable of protecting the engine. I'm at nearly 300000 miles on my old civic, run on Dino oil it's whole life and it's never needed an engine repair and is very clean in the valvetrain.

But the first step is a dealer visit and a definitive diagnosis of the noise.

Group III oils aren't anything to write home about.

The website you refer to I don't find a credible source as I have witnessed altered oil analysis reports, misinformation and all out disinformation from mysterious, unknown sources hiding behind keyboards, etc.

Used oil analysis reports are for evaluating an engine/equipment and how it is wearing, not for general conclusions about brand X oil.

Any modern oil is capable of protecting an engine. The issue is how well the oil protects that engine, how well it performs during cold winter engine starts and hot summer weather to help extend engine life and have it run "like new", for a longer period of time. Improvements in fuel economy, power/throttle response, reduced emissions, an internally cleaner engine, reduced maintenance costs, etc., are all benefits a top quality synthetic oil like AMSOIL delivers and dead dinosaur oils don't. Using AMSOIL saves me hundreds of dollars per year vs. dead dinosaur oils. I could not afford the expense of dead dinosaur oils, especially in this economy. :thumbsup:

Last edited:

koby

Group III oils aren't anything to write home about.

The website you refer to I don't find a credible source as I have witnessed altered oil analysis reports, misinformation and all out disinformation from mysterious, unknown sources hiding behind keyboards, etc.

Used oil analysis reports are for evaluating an engine/equipment and how it is wearing, not for general conclusions about brand X oil.

Any modern oil is capable of protecting an engine. The issue is how well the oil protects that engine, how well it performs during cold winter engine starts and hot summer weather to help extend engine life and have it run "like new", for a longer period of time. Improvements in fuel economy, power/throttle response, reduced emissions, an internally cleaner engine, reduced maintenance costs, etc., are all benefits a top quality synthetic oil like AMSOIL delivers and dead dinosaur oils don't. Using AMSOIL saves me hundreds of dollars per year vs. dead dinosaur oils. I could not afford the expense of dead dinosaur oils, especially in this economy. :thumbsup:
I'm not trying to question your correctiveness I would just like to see these reports. 99% of what you see on engine oil is mere opinion and a factual report would be nice to see. :unsure:

AMSOIL quality and the many benefits it delivers have been backed up by standard industry test results for decades. :thumbsup::)

Below is a link to a plethora of test results backing up the quality of AMSOIL synthetic motor oils. I take care of Corolla Forum members. :thumbsup:

AMSOIL Performance Tests