2014 Corolla - Fumoto Valve

In case people were interested in doing future and easy oil changes, I highly recommend one of these:

http://www.fumotousa.com/results.php?make=79&year=2014&model=33140&makeid=Toyota

I have this on my 2013 Scion FR-S, and also my fiance's 2013 Dodge Dart. These make oil changes a breeze and the best part? You don't have to worry about someone over torquing your drain plug! These are a one time install and a simple flip of the ball bearing switch and your oil drains. I like the one with the nipple so I can route a hose directly into an oil container.

After owning 2 of these now, I don't think I can live without them doing my own oil changes. This will definitely be on my future Corolla. No more mess and makes the oil change very simple. Cheers. :thumbsup:

Scott O'Kashan

Super Moderator
Sounds like it might be easy for a rock, piece of metal, etc., kicked up off the road to hit the valve and open it while the vehicle is driving down the road.

Sounds like it might be easy for a rock, piece of metal, etc., kicked up off the road to hit the valve and open it while the vehicle is driving down the road.
Nah, it's not that easy for something like that to open it. Unless your car is slammed and you're driving in a field, you don't have much to worry about. It's locked pretty well in its closed position and does not sit low enough to be a worry about something hitting and opening it. If you're worried about it, there's a clamp you can get that even further supports it, but it really is not necessary.

Yes, these have been used extensively on many cars. They do make the oil change easier. Very very few incidences of it getting broken and losing oil, almost none. The question is, is "almost" good enough, especially in that it can result in a disaster. I would say they are safe, but I've never installed one, because you still have to do the filter, and to me that's the hard part so I don't see a lot of advantage with them.

Yes, these have been used extensively on many cars. They do make the oil change easier. Very very few incidences of it getting broken and losing oil, almost none. The question is, is "almost" good enough, especially in that it can result in a disaster. I would say they are safe, but I've never installed one, because you still have to do the filter, and to me that's the hard part so I don't see a lot of advantage with them.
Fumoto valves are very convenient, but given the easy access to the drain on these cars, they don't offer a lot of value to me, either.

Fumoto valves are very convenient, but given the easy access to the drain on these cars, they don't offer a lot of value to me, either.
I think it just makes it a lot less messier more than anything. Yes, the Corollas do have a very nice drain plug. This just keeps you from getting your hands all oily until you have to prime the filter. :)

Scott O'Kashan

Super Moderator
You should always wear rubber gloves when doing an oil change. Used motor oil is very toxic and can cause cancer. Never let used motor oil touch your skin.

You should always wear rubber gloves when doing an oil change. Used motor oil is very toxic and can cause cancer. Never let used motor oil touch your skin.
When I was a teenager, we never wore gloves when changing oil. And we threw the old oil into the bushes! :no:

Times have changed! Always wear the gloves, and always recycle the used oil! :yes:

Agreed.

Aside from sulfuric acid found inside automotive batteries, used motor oil is the most toxic substance found in an auto center.
Even unused motor oil is toxic. And of course antifreeze, brake fluid, ATF, lots of stuff. Heck gasoline is very toxic. Was just dealing with a leaking brand new battery I just bought and didn't realize it was leaking until it was on my skin.

When I was in college, we rarely used gloves. I've gotten concentrated sulfuric acid (I think a car battery is 25-35%), nitric acid, sodium hydroxide, and various chlorinated solvents on my hands, and we handled benzenelike it was water. The whole chemistry building smelled like benzene. Even at my first job, it wasn't much better. Thank God safety regs are much tighter now