Aftermarket Trunk Spoiler

Only issue is I think all corollas come with a 3rd brake light. So, SUPER KOOL people will have a 4th lol
ALL USA "cars" come with a 3rd brake light - not just Corollas.

That is an advantage to the spoiler, IMHO. The 3rd brake light is at the base of the window. A spoiler without the brake light would block the view of the OEM 3rd brake light HMSL (high-mount stop light).

Personally - I would probably disconnect the plug for the window light if I installed this, but an extra light wouldn't hurt anything.

Curiosity - the 2011, etc. Corolla S model came with the HMSL on the spoiler from the factory. Does anyone know if these cars also had the window HMSL, or was that deleted, and if not deleted, did both the window and the spoiler illuminate.

@brothabear - if you mean the 4th one - from the link - "NOT fit to 2014-on U.S. models." - so I'm going to say no.

http://www.electrodyne.cc/mm5/merch...re_Code=EQMA&gclid=COO_-Nm8974CFaQF7AodZmgAFA - This is similar to the factory, but less kickup and no HMSL.

ALL USA "cars" come with a 3rd brake light - not just Corollas.

That is an advantage to the spoiler, IMHO. The 3rd brake light is at the base of the window. A spoiler without the brake light would block the view of the OEM 3rd brake light HMSL (high-mount stop light).

Personally - I would probably disconnect the plug for the window light if I installed this, but an extra light wouldn't hurt anything.

Curiosity - the 2011, etc. Corolla S model came with the HMSL on the spoiler from the factory. Does anyone know if these cars also had the window HMSL, or was that deleted, and if not deleted, did both the window and the spoiler illuminate.

@brothabear - if you mean the 4th one - from the link - "NOT fit to 2014-on U.S. models." - so I'm going to say no.

http://www.electrodyne.cc/mm5/merch...re_Code=EQMA&gclid=COO_-Nm8974CFaQF7AodZmgAFA - This is similar to the factory, but less kickup and no HMSL.
10th gen Corollas that came with the factory spoiler (S models) do have the CHMSL behind the window. They are just covered by a plate and did not illuminate. The wires are there for it, they just are connected differently

So consumers more interested in show than go will purchase the car.

A rear spoiler increase aerodynamic drag, which reduces fuel economy.

It also adds weight, which is a big fuel economy no-no.

I'm going to go agree with Scott on this.

Rear spoilers could increase downforce on the tail over 80 MPH, but on most street cars, they are just for looks.

Personally, I like the wing of the previous generations over the lip on the current model, but ... I wouldn't expect it to help or hurt fuel economy more than maybe 0.2 MPG or so, and I would guess more toward hurting it, but without wind tunnel results, there isn't a conclusive way to tell.

It has been documented that bike racks can reduce fuel economy a shocking 3-5 mpg and I never in my wildest dreams would have guessed that. :eek:Aerodynamic drag plays a much more pivotal role in fuel economy than we ever dreamed.