How Low Can I Run the Gas Tank Before I Run Out of Gas?

I don't trust the gas gauge, I assume it's setup to warn me long before I really run out gas. Does anyone know how much gas we have left when the gauge hits E?

Roughly 1.5 gallons, but it can vary on several factors. When your low fuel light comes on, you have about 2 gallons. If the low fuel light starts to blink, that means your fuel pressure is dropping and at that point, you better start stretching for a hike.

I usually fill up when I start hitting below a 1/4 tank, just in-case something happens.

fishycomics

Super Moderator
On page 428 You have a 13.2 gal tank. No reserve, the reserve will be that warning indicator today.

Low fuel warning page 384, 2.0 gal from 1.8 - to - 2.0

this info is located in your manual.

When you are on hwy driving average 23mpg, say around 50 miles best be filling up. In city driving you have about 30 miles, I would not push it if you see E and ignore the Low warning light!

Running a low tank all the time may chance the filter working harder, and then changing sooner/\.

Last edited:
On page 428 You have a 13.2 gal tank. No reserve, the reserve will be that warning indicator today.

Low fuel warning page 384, 2.0 gal from 1.8 - to - 2.0

this info is located in your manual.

When you are on hwy driving average 23mpg, say around 50 miles best be filling up. In city driving you have about 30 miles, I would not push it if you see E and ignore the Low warning light!

Running a low tank all the time may chance the filter working harder, and then changing sooner/\.

Spot on :thumbsup:

fishycomics

Super Moderator
I yet to leave out the best one yet.

try not to top the tank, just as it clicks you can get an extra gallon in plus. but will not give you any extra benefit? Just remember when you get to 1/4 above/below that line you will have 10 gallons of gas, give or take.

so for every 1/4, 1/2, 3/4 Full will be around 3.0 plus gallons.

I not wait for it to drop below that 1/4 and fill you are nearing that 2 gallons left in the tank mark.

Running the fuel level low can cause the very expensive electric fuel pump inside the gas tank to fail. Replacing a fuel pump can have a price tag of $500 +.

Running low or you mean running out completely repeatedly? They're not really the same.
Running low.

The electric fuel pump is cooled by the gasoline it is immersed in and when the gasoline runs low, it doesn't cool the fuel pump as well anymore and this can cause the fuel pump to fail. I never let the gas get below one quarter tank and I have never had a fuel pump go bad, (knock on wood).

Last edited:

fishycomics

Super Moderator
Running Low to E will not harm, but Running out of gas will find yourself like Scott said trying to get gas back into the injectors. You want to keep gas in the line not out of the line, only when you are winterizing and fogging the lines.

Imagine the symptoms afterwards, injectors, pump, filter, you name it. you can run to 1/2 or 3/4 your car not mine

I have heard it is just as bad to overfill ("top off") as it will cause something or the other about problems with something or the other with the emission controls or something or the other. :-( So now I just fill up until the pump automatically cuts off .

I have found the gas gauge to be fairly close at the 1/4 marks to about 3.2 to 3.3 gallons (3.2 to 3.3 gallons to fill up with the gauge at the 3/4 full mark, etc.) In town/freeway combination driving I usually fill up at the 3/4 or 1/2 mark and again that's about every 100 or 200 miles since I usually average around 30 MPG. Of course I can go farther on strictly cross-country driving on the Interstates. The average is consistently 40 MPG so I can go about 250 miles on a half tank of gas. That usually coincides with the noon Lunch Stop anyway. :-} I'm a timid soul. I rarely go lower than the 1/2 mark on the gas gauge.:-(

I was lucky years ago on the only time I ever ran out of gas on the highway.
Just as I stepped out of the car, a guy in a pickup truck stopped and took me to the nearest gas station and back with a can of gas. So I don't trust to that good luck any more.

And FWIW the Owner's Manual on my 2014 Corolla is the thickest one I have ever seen.
(My first new car was a 1956 Plymouth).

Last edited:
I have also noticed that the computer readout for "Average MPG" is usually about 1 to 2 MPG higher than the old manual computations method. (Using long division and dividing the miles on the trip odometer by the gallons on the pump, with a pencil and paper , that is.)

With my brand-new 2015 S Premium, I was keen to see where it was when the low fuel light came on. And when it did, I had to drive about two miles in city traffic to get to a gas station, and I had a bit more than 2.7 gallons left in the tank. At 35 MPG, that's about 95 miles before it would completely run out. So, I'm figuring that I can easily go 50 miles on the freeway to get to a gas station before I would need to start sweating.

Regarding how much might be left when it actually reads "Empty," I probably won't ever go near that. I don't know that you really need to fill up at a quarter of a tank remaining, but I'll certainly fill it up at my earliest convenience once the low fuel light comes on.

I don't think the "usable" capacity of the 2014-2015 corolla is 13.2 gallons. I actually ran out of gas at 12.3 gallons using a very well calibrated ScanGauge II and that tank was filled up to the first click at the pump preceding running out. I was on a level road and expected to make it another 5 miles to the nearest gas station but fell short. I think a more realistic "usable" number of gallons for this generation Corolla is 12 gallons. This is just my opinion from my own experience with my 2015 Corolla LE CVT bought new in December 2014 and manufactured in October 2014. I am not sure what damage was done, if any, but once more fuel was added, the car started right up and I was on my way. I set the fuel tank size on my ScanGauge II to 12 instead of 13 after that unfortunate trip.

I get to the nearest gas station when the light comes on. I might go 10 KMS before and there is still some gas left but I don't push it. I would rather not be stranded with an empty tank.