Ola, from Orang-Bati

lacykm

Orang-Bati
Ola, from the Pacific North West,
I joined the forum in October 3, 2013; I am excited to read the comments of other people enjoying the Corolla Sport as I do.
I accidently rented a Corolla 2006 S while on a business trip in Phoenix Arizona (socked in by snow – it was the only car left in the rental lot); I had a critical deadline installing network equipment from one point to another across a freak stormed blizzard-ing south western desert in a hurry. The car handled the snow, and the load and my aggressive driving habits without issue. It was my first encounter with a Toyota of that make, I was impressed. It took me all the way there and almost back on a single tank of gas.
After that experience I asked around and found a large group of co-works and friends with Camrys’ and Corollas that were very pleased. With all of the gas prices and maintenance cost issues at the time, I decided to trade in my wife’s ’87 Cutlass Supreme for a Silver Corolla Sport 2008 after test driving them a couple of times. She loved it (calls it Silver Surfer). The gas and cost of ownership figures are excellent (a water pump and head lamp bulb in 6 years, the pump was covered under warranty). I added the complete WeatherTech protective system for flooring, wind deflector, sunroof cowl and front hood deflector and she never looked back. Our 2008 is still a very spirited, lively and economical ride. It’s also considerably roomy.
I traded in an 87’ 240 Volvo that I bought brand new and was modified way beyond it’s factory configuration (you know, have to be different – customized rear spoiler, rear window full louver, air intake hoods, stabilizer system, German modified autobahn ready with German engine specific mods – embarrassing 55K worth in the end); I traded that in for a Barcelona Red 2010 Sport, and right away had the complete WeatherTech accessories applied inside and out. The 2010 Sport car performed like some of the cheap Euro rally cars I used to burn up in Germany; it has strap down holders in the trunk, trays in the trunk, and multiple cup holders and storage places throughout the passenger cabin. It felt larger, taller and definitely a fun aggressive drive.
My daughter was in her second year in college and wasn’t happy with being away from home. I figured a car would sooth her anxieties; I hoped a nice easy to keep set of wheels would chill her out and I needed to make the “gift” a challenge (that’s just the way we roll). I offered that if she could get a 3.5 grade point average and maintain it through the second half of the third year I’d give her the Barcelona Red (we call it Tazz). She averaged 3.8 and better from that point on, even graduated top of her class last August 2013. Tazz is hers now and she even loves to drive home on occasion to visit dear old Mom and Dad.
-That left me without a commuter car! My dealer offered the killer price on yet another Corolla Sport package (we name it “Silver” – Lone Ranger’s horse). It rode with a Buick, smooth and cruse-ish; not as much fun as the other two, but it came with the PGI interface for my smartphones and with USB drive connectivity for jams, so I settled for it. It didn’t handle like the other two cars, it wasn’t as quick to accelerate; it would complain on hills, it was pretty, but didn’t have the attitude that I enjoyed in the other two cars.
On my latest birthday, a few months ago, I took the 2011 in for scheduled maintenance. In the middle of the showroom set the Corolla Special Edition 2013 in “Hot Lava.” It was like I met the Barcelona Red all over again! The tire and rims are larger (17”), the interior has a few more cool accents (gold lines in the seats; fancy embossed Special Edition print on the carpets), but the cabin space is the same (I had all of my WeatherTech gear moved from one car to the other and everything fit). The sound system that comes with the Special Edition is absolutely entertaining.
I was going to have the stabilizers put on the 2011; I simply wanted to know if that would enhance the handling performance of the car at all; so I ordered the front and back stabilizers for the Special edition, managed to have the sunroof installed while bargaining for the price, and dealer threw in the TRD badges front and back to announce the presence of the stabilizers.
The 2013 Special Edition Sport is already tight like the 2008, and 2010 Sport; but the stabilizers systems application allows me better handling off and on interstate or expressway ramps.
I learned how to drive and drove most of my life in Germany; stabilizers to me are just a handling confidence/comfort/safety factor to accommodate my driving habits. I christened this car “Orang-Bati,” its color, attitude, good looks and handling in my opinion deem it worthy.
I’ve been reading other member’s comments about adding cat backs exhaust and cold air intake systems. I wanted the Borla exhaust, but it made sense that “economy” is a factor. I “pay” the difference in the tire sizes and mileage between my 2008 (15”), 2010 (16”), 2011 (16”) and now 2013 (17”). I went with Toyo M+S top end tires (I don’t have the specifics now,) but I hate Good years – Europe does that to you!! The cars are all stock except the 2013; it has stabilizer systems on front and rear. The 2013 came with BridgeStone’s; I’m still trying to figure out if I like them, I’ll know after this winter. This car doesn’t get the gas mileages of the prior cars; but it’s somehow more fun to drive and handles better than all but the 2008 (in my opinion). I’m not going to lower the car’s body; I hate creeping over speed bumps.
I apologize for this being so long. I’ve been reading every line on this board since August; I’m excited about the ideas and information found here. I’ll update my Album soon; I’m looking for some ideas to externally distinguish this “ride” from others. YouTube (search for “Corolla Sport” in its search feature) has been super helpful but what I’ve read in this forum answers the differences about myths verses facts. The comments document are just my layman observation and opinions; I’m no car mechanic (bless ‘em).
Scott O’Kashan, keep up the good words man; you are very informative. I was about to screw up this ’13 with additions that would have defeated the purpose of driving an economy car (I forget that point from time to time when I dream of power). They’re just so cool looking and inexpensive; it’s hard resisting the urge to screw with them!! I also loved Volvos but in this economy, and after they were bought by Ford, I refuse to pay that price for ownership (cost of gas, mileage per gallon, insurance costs, regular maintenance average costs, resale value). I moved on to Trucks; more “baby got back, for the buck.”

Welcome. The 2013 sport is a good looking car. In Canada we did not get the LE or Sport special Editions. I am loving my manual 2013 S and I find the manual makes a big difference in the fun factor for driving. Enjoy your ride.