2009 Corolla - Cooling Fan Doesn't Operate On Full Power

What do you mean full power? The fan is only suppose to come on when the engine reaches a certain temp. Are you saying the fan does not seem to spin very fast?

Kev250R

This is my other car
Mine seems to only use high speed on a warm day with the A/C on. Like DK said if it's not overheating (which you may want to verify with a separate gauge, the dash gauge isn't real accurate from what I've seen).

Kevin

Kev250R

This is my other car
Mine does that too. Sounds like it's normal. Funny though on mine it'll only speed-up for a few seconds than slow-down again. Driving to 'Vegas last month on a 90+ day I stopped for a few minutes in Baker and waited in my idling Corolla while my friend picked-up some refreshments and I heard it doing it then. As long as it's working I don't mind.

Kevin

Who cares? If it doesn't overhat then the system is working fine.

Independent AMSOIL Dealer, Contact me to get the world's best oil for prices lower than brands like Mobil1 and Royal Purple!

GoldMedalSyntheticOils.com

Kev250R

This is my other car
I guess I care because I don't want to burn-up my engine :shifty: A friend of mine once blew a motor in a Cavalier because the cooling fan stopped working (the wires for the electric motor got loose, got damaged, the fan stopped and it overheated badly before she caught it).

My Corolla is the first car I've ever had which uses an electric fan for cooling. I guess I'm paranoid. I make a point of checking that it's working on a pretty regular basis.

Kevin

I guess I care because I don't want to burn-up my engine :shifty: A friend of mine once blew a motor in a Cavalier because the cooling fan stopped working (the wires for the electric motor got loose, got damaged, the fan stopped and it overheated badly before she caught it).

My Corolla is the first car I've ever had which uses an electric fan for cooling. I guess I'm paranoid. I make a point of checking that it's working on a pretty regular basis.

Kevin
Watch the engine temp on your guage. It is definitely not exact but it is not intended to be exact. It is intended to give you an idea if your engine is within the operating range and does a good job at that.

Get in the habit of checking all guages every minute or so while driving with just a glance. You'll catch issues much faster than many motorists and spend much less on fixes.

Also, a fan does absolutely NOTHING while driving to cool the engine. It only helps cool the engine while stopped or at very low speeds. So, if you get in the habit of watching your guages while at stoplights, you'l never burn up an engine due to an non-operational fan.

Independent AMSOIL Dealer, Contact me to get the world's best oil for prices lower than brands like Mobil1 and Royal Purple!

GoldMedalSyntheticOils.com

^this.

Checking the gauges was the difference between "You have a spun bearing, we'll go ahead and replace it under warranty" and "You drove the car without oil pressure for x miles and it shows because the entire engine is trashed and blued. Warranty denied."

Kev250R

This is my other car
Uh, thanks for the advice but again, it wasn't me who burnt an engine up, it was a close friend of mine. If I'd done it I'd admit it :) I'm actually pretty good about watching the gauges in my cars and trucks. On my Silverado I've even added extra gauges to monitor things a bit closer since I do a lot of towing with that truck.

I'm not sure that I agree with your statement about fans not being effective at speed. While I agree that a fan's primary purpose is to keep air moving across the radiator when stopped or at slow speeds on my Silverado I've added an auxuilary trans cooler with an electric fan mounted on top of it. I've seen that auxiliary fan work to keep the transmission oil at steady temp whereas without the fan my trans temps tend to drift around a lot more.

I've found that the stock gauges on most cars leave a lot to be desired. I've never seen the water temp gauge move away from normal on my Corolla, even using my Scan Gauge II on doesn't show much; the water temp stays pretty steady pretty much regardless of what sort of driving I'm doing, though to be fair I've not done any towing or four-wheeling with my 'Rolla :laughing:

Kevin

Last edited: