2010 Corolla - How to Remove a Drum Wheel Stud

I hear ya, I know you were afraid of hitting it, and the brain took over, to stop. and that wins everyone over here, thinking how to go about the problem.

Ask questions, sleep on the decision, and go for it.
Several times I've worked on a car and just had that feeling to stop and approach it another way, LOL! ESPECIALLY when I am working on someone else's car. Last thing I want is to break somebody else's ride.

fishycomics

Super Moderator
A spacer is the tire. a spacer like said washers is the way to increase a better chance of locking the stud in.

And yes if it is not my car, I not work on the car at all.

Fish My lug nut came with a washer. And finally with a lot of problem. It looks like the project is finally finished. All I need to do it put the wheels back. Whatst the safest way to put wheel without scratching anything, since I have dip on my wheels.

It probably wouldn't hurt to get it done. Chances are higher that you would bend the hub before throwing the alignment out IMO, but if it has been a while since your last alignment, why not?

Ummmm, probably get a second person to help you out so that you aren't dragging the wheel on the lug studs, and of course, use a deep thin-walled socket to tighten everything up (make sure you torque the wheels, and then I would torque again after 100 miles just to be sure they stay tight).

fishycomics

Super Moderator
Fish My lug nut came with a washer. And finally with a lot of problem. It looks like the project is finally finished. All I need to do it put the wheels back. Whatst the safest way to put wheel without scratching anything, since I have dip on my wheels.
Stud, washer, did not say lug nut and washer, Lol

I think you got your answer and keep us posted when you do get them on

I lift it and slide it on like shown, video was your guidance. If asking how to place a tire back on then you should not be working on a car Lol (JK) congrad's

Stud, washer, did not say lug nut and washer, Lol

I think you got your answer and keep us posted when you do get them on

I lift it and slide it on like shown, video was your guidance. If asking how to place a tire back on then you should not be working on a car Lol (JK) congrad's
lol I did not see the previous post you made.

It probably wouldn't hurt to get it done. Chances are higher that you would bend the hub before throwing the alignment out IMO, but if it has been a while since your last alignment, why not?

Ummmm, probably get a second person to help you out so that you aren't dragging the wheel on the lug studs, and of course, use a deep thin-walled socket to tighten everything up (make sure you torque the wheels, and then I would torque again after 100 miles just to be sure they stay tight).
Sad part is I did my alignment two days before. smh

Kev250R

This is my other car
Drum brakes have their benefits, namely they help (slightly) with fuel economy since when their not applied (and are adjusted correctly) there is no drag from the brake shoes whereas disc brakes are always (slightly) in contact with the brake rotor so there is always some drag (granted not much).

I'll give a prime example of what I've experinced first-hand: I own two air-cooled VW's. A '67 and a '60. Both are almost identical (though the '60 is a little lighter, but not by too much). The '67 has disc/drums from the factory and stops and drives very well. The '60 has drum/drum at all four corners (all stock, save for the hard brake lines that I made). When driving, the '67 stops better, though it's hard to tell. When coasting (or flat-towing) the '60 tows easier and the difference in brake drag is very dramatic. When I built the '60 I almost installed four-wheel discs but I'm glad that I stuck with the drums on that car. A friend once drove both cars and couldn't tell a difference in the brakes, which tells me the drums work pretty good.

All that being said, I prefer disc brakes. their easier (and cheaper) to maintain and repair and I think for 'enthusiastic' driving their better (less worry about brake fade). In ten years I doubt any new cars or trucks come equipped with drum brakes, even my super-heavy (and heavy duty) '11 F-450 has four-wheel discs.

Kevin

Kev250R

This is my other car
I agree with Fish, they aren't that bad once you've done it once or twice. Drum brakes are more complex than discs but they also seem to last longer (especially in the rear). I was intimidated by them too until a few years ago when I picked-up an old Ford Ranchero with stock four-wheel drums which didn't work (literally drove it home using the E-brake). I did some reading and took my time but eventually got the whole system repaired and working again. After that every other brake job has seemed easy :laughing:

Kevin

Erm, ok. I will probably do it myself, Specially after the dealer took $325 to replace all of them. smh. and fish, how do you post like 2 video everyday? retired already?lol

fishycomics

Super Moderator
Erm, ok. I will probably do it myself, Specially after the dealer took $325 to replace all of them. smh. and fish, how do you post like 2 video everyday? retired already?lol
I used to take my time, getting things perfect, but you know what, I just get out there and do it. Lol

You pay for my trip I do the job free, but you know Lol DO I have a vid on drum work, no. I will be going oneday or searching the net for that spring tool. my hand strength is still strong, but work wiser lol

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Professiona...1516312626&pt=Motors_Automotive_Tools&vxp=mtr

Kev250R

This is my other car
I agree, the correct tools make everything go easier! I used to resist buying specialty tools but now have a small tool chest full of them. Some I bought, others I made. None of them get used a lot but when I need them it's nice to have them.

Kevin

fishycomics

Super Moderator
Just pointed to some of the parts for the drum. If we try to do this by a screwdriver, man wish you the best of luck Lol can tear right into you hands

Ya, I try to barrow or buy used tools that I might only use once. Companies now trying to make special tool to repair everything. Money Money Money

Ya, thankfully I do not have to do that for a while lol. BTW, I might want to change my wheel lug nut to something that sticks out a little more so my dip doesn't get damaged. Is that wise with stock wheel stud or I need get something longer?