2014 Corolla S - Annoying Noise Coming from the Drivers Side

Hello, I bought a 2014 Corolla S three weeks ago. So far I like the car, the only and annoying problem I've been having is a little noise coming from the driver's side. I could not identify if the noise comes from the dashboard or from the door. The impression I have is that have some small piece of plastic that is vibrating and crashing with another piece of plastic. Is someone having the same problem? Please help me!

Your best shot at getting help with it is to take the vehicle back to the Toyota dealer you purchased it from. They will take care of it under warranty.

Last edited:
I dont know if you wear a seat belt or not, but I know when I am driving (with my belt on) and there is no one in the passenger seat, the seatbelt hits the side panel of the passenger side during semi rough roads and creates a knocking noise. So maybe that could be your problem.

I am having a similar problem: my car has a ton of rattles on right side of dashboard: constantly (except at idle); if I tap on dash, it makes the noise: I know I should bring it in, but is there something I can try on my own?: car has 300 miles on it now: I am every picky and am worried if dealer will remove dash etc: especially car only 1.5 weeks old
I bought this car thinking rattle free :/
I miss my 2011 highlander; zero problems with that thing(don't miss mpg though)
Please let me know your thoughts
Thank you

If it happened to be something wrong with the air bag and it deploys that would cause a big mess. Might be best to get it to the dealer as soon as possible.

Good luck with it and let us know how you make out.

Last edited:
Especially when you wear glasses and that airbag hits you in the face at 100 mph! I've never read of any instances of this, but it can't be good.

By the way Donabed, I sent you an e-mail. :)

Don't feel too bad I just traded out of a 2012 JCW Mini Cooper Coupe for the Corolla. The Mini was $43K and was a rattle trap. It had only 30K miles on it but I could not stand it another second. My wife had a 2009 Mini Cooper S and it was rattle free but a maintenance hog and expensive to operate. We sold hers and bought a Corolla as well. We were a 2 Mini family now we are a 2 Corolla family.

I'll take the Corolla over the Mini anyday. (And I used to be a die hard Mini fan.) Rattles can happen no matter the cost of the car.

Take the car back and make em fix it.

Brought it to dealer yesterday: fixed rattle for one day, now it's back
As I recall, the Lemon Law says that the new car dealer has three chances to repair a problem under warranty and if they still can't resolve the problem, then per the Lemon Law they must take the car back and provide the customer a complete refund.

If you politely remind them of this, it might light a fire under their katoosh's to get the repair right.

The noise shouldn't be there. Something is loose and it will get worse and can negatively effect the safe operation of the car. If you don't bring the car back to have something askew corrected and it affects something else, damaging another component of the car, then that could be construed as neglect on your part and the warranty will not cover the damage.

I recommend taking it to the dealer for warranty work as soon as possible.

They either fix the problem within three attempts or you can force them to take the car back under the Lemon Law. They know this, so you can rest assured they will correct the problem.

Last edited:
hey I found this video same noise I hear from my car... Strange is, this video came from Egypt, so they have the (Euro version Corolla). So it might be the car dashboard design that is why it is so common

Last edited by a moderator:
I'd be willing to bet it is coming from a specific plant since only some models do it. Probably missing a procedure.
I wonder how many toyota corolla plant they have here in the U.S? I mean they shutdown Nummi I use to work their as a temp. They move it in Mississippi I believe. But when a problem exist in Egypt and some Corolla here in the U.S... It means it is the design problem not a specific plant. It is worldwide.

I think just one in America (Mississippi, VIN starts with 5), but I am not sure if Mississippi is the sole manufacturer of all U.S. bound Corollas.

On an unrelated note, I heard Scion manufacturing is leaving California and heading to Texas.

Annoying Noise Coming from the Drivers Side in the 2014 Corolla S

I also have a rattle in my dash board between center air vents and steering wheel. Want to take the car in but worried they might cause more problems. I am in South Africa not sure if we have a lemon law

Last edited:
I got my 2015 L Corolla today, I already heard the rattle coming from the right side of the dash. Will take it to the dealer next week. Don't try to fix it yourselves, guarantees could be void. I had a 2003 Corolla that had a terrible rattle coming from the dash, it took several tries but the dealer ended up fixing it.

Checked things in the car already. This is definitely from the dash. Seems to be mostly around the air vents and instrument cluster.

No didnt take mine yet. Calling Toyota tomorrow.

Was hoping someone could shed some positive light on their experience, that I could use when getting mine checked...

Anyone?

I think just one in America (Mississippi, VIN starts with 5), but I am not sure if Mississippi is the sole manufacturer of all U.S. bound Corollas.

On an unrelated note, I heard Scion manufacturing is leaving California and heading to Texas.
No, it depends where in the US you are. I'm in PA, and mine came from Canada. I think the northern states mainly get Canadian Corollas.

Rattles

Besides the rattle coming from the dash, I have detected another one coming from the right back door, very easy to confuse with the dash as well. I had contacted the dealer and was told that those things will have to get fixed when I take the car to its first service at 1,000 kilometers. Here in Guatemala we do not have lemon laws therefore I have to rely on the dealer, which I know will work those little things out. As long as there is a guarantee we Toyota owners who have little or bigger issues must be patient and be very persistent with the dealers as sooner or later most cars have one thing or another. In the meantime lets enjoy our nice Toyotas and let's not risk our guarantees!

I am picking up a few rattles as time goes. Here in South Africa we don't have the 1000km service. First is at 15000km. I am also working with dealer to sort out issues and in the mean time trying to enjoy the car. Although I must admit rattles are very annoying and distracting....

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk!

Rattles and noises

Yes, you are right, these rattles and noises are dreadful to the ear, and besides not expected from a new car. The timings for services for this car iare, the first at 1000, Kms. The second at 3000, kms. The third at 5,000 Kms and then and on with intervals of 5000 Kms each. The reason is that the environment here is very dusty, and sort of contaminated therefore the air filters get dirty very soon, also roads are in terrible shape and thus the breaks need adjustments and revisions.

But you don't have to wait until the first service occurs to get the noises fixed, try to make an appointment just for the noises. I will do that myself, my car is only 500 Kms and I don't want to wait for the first service for the noises to be worked, I will write them tonight asking them, and will see what happens, as yourself, I have a tuned ear and really dislike these noises!

raddeling

I have had some noise in my car too, however seems to come from the dash secondary to if I put my hand on it/pressure, then it goes away. Boyfriend and I are guessing its some fan or something, but as others said, really don't want people taking apart my 2014 corolla, now had for 1yr.

Mine just developed a rattle I thought was behind the dash on the passenger side. It turned out to be "A pillar" (I think that's right) rattling against the top of the dash where they meet. I stuck a business card into the gap, and it cleared it up, at least for now. Luckily, it was a good fit and isn't visible.

A LOT of manufacturers have rattle problems. As the makers try to cut costs while still trying to make the interiors look like they're using quality materials, this is bound to happen. I remember reading an article a few years ago that Toyota had a corporate goal of reducing the number of parts per car by a certain number, I seem to remember it was well into the hundreds. You can bet a lot of these are the fasteners and spacers, etc that are not visible to the consumer but are important in preventing things like this.

Maybe we should try to make it a false economy for them, by making them put out more in dealer warranty reimbursement than they are saving. But like I said, its not just Toyota. Consumer Reports just came out with their reliability data for new cars, and "body integrity" was the lowest or ties for the lowest score on almost all car models. Its sad, because it can really ruin the new car experience.

By the way the 14 Corolla scored very well, with perfect scores in everything but body integrity and audio system, overall rated 30% above average in reliability.

I disagree with the statement. I have the top of the range 1.8 exclusive cvt, not a cheap car. I have been in new model VW polo's, fortunes, Hondas, bmws, etc... Recently cheaper and more expensive than mine and no rattles... Great car but hate the rattles. This is my first Toyota and has put ,e of the brand.

I hear the same rattles around the same area I noticed it only happens with the AC running for some reason. Turn it off and the rattles stops within a minute or two.

I hear the same rattles around the same area I noticed it only happens with the AC running for some reason. Turn it off and the rattles stops within a minute or two.
Mine does it when cabine temperature is changing (Heater on when very cold / AC on when very hot). When temperature stabilize, it stops. Like some plastic near the vents at the base of the windshield is expending or contracting. Need an expansion joint !

Mine does it when cabine temperature is changing (Heater on when very cold / AC on when very hot). When temperature stabilize, it stops. Like some plastic near the vents at the base of the windshield is expending or contracting. Need an expansion joint !
Jolly - you might try the fix I did with my rattle a few posts up. I thought it was that vent too, and it tended to occur with temp changes. turned out to be the A-pillar, dashboard contact line.

I disagree with the statement. I have the top of the range 1.8 exclusive cvt, not a cheap car. I have been in new model VW polo's, fortunes, Hondas, bmws, etc... Recently cheaper and more expensive than mine and no rattles... Great car but hate the rattles. This is my first Toyota and has put ,e of the brand.

Yeah, rattles are incredibly annoying. My 13 Civic didn't have any when I traded it, my 05 Civic didn't have any until this year and now it has a ton (the interior of the car is developing one problem after another in the last few months). My wife's 2015 Fit has a BAD one coming from the back. That one will need to be fixed, its terrible. (By the way, I HATE that Fit, I think they really downgraded it with the update - front legroom is non-existant, seats are like boards and no support, ride and road noise are awful, but HER car and she's 5'1". I can't stand to be crunched into the passenger seat for more than 5 minutes and I'm only 6', and would never drive it).

If my car was a real rattletrap it would put me off too, fortunately so far I only have one and I managed to isolate and at least cheap fix it. I think Toyota is getting a bit of a rep for rattles. I know some RAV4 owners have had terrible problems.

From what the Toyota dealership I went to told me the ethios has lots of rattle problems... Not sure if the ethios is an South Africa only Toyota brand

From what the Toyota dealership I went to told me the ethios has lots of rattle problems... Not sure if the ethios is an South Africa only Toyota brand

I don't know. I've never heard of the Ethios. Different parts of the world likely get cars from different plants, that could have a bearing on the amount of rattles or other problems.

Tomorrow I will take the Corolla to its first oil change, and they will see for the back door and dash rattles, hoping they will fix the up for good, they will keep the car for the whole day. It is true, those noises are annoying in new cars, but by the way, my sister got a few months ago a brand new Audi Q3, and to my surprise it also has a rattle! The 2008 Ford Fusion that I had before this Corrolla came with majors noises, but most of them were fixed under guarantee and many visits to the dealer. In my case, I will be very persistent with the local dealer until each cabin noise gets fixed!

The thing is I just worry the more they fiddle to fix the rattles by opening the dash and panels it causes more problems with the car... They most of the time break clips etc...