2014 Corolla With 13,500 Miles Needs Cylinder Head Replaced

What would you do?

• Get rid of the car stat.

Votes: 6 60.0%
  • Drive to just under 50,000 when the warranty expires and then sell it.

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Take a chill pill and believe that my Toyota is going to live a long happy Corolla life.

Votes: 4 40.0%

• Total voters

Cindy

Hi. My trac off and check engine lights would not stay off. Service Department advised that the Codes that registered mean a cylinder head needs replaced. I am, uh, in shell shock. My first Corolla. I thought I was set with dependability, longevity and all the Corolla represents. I did buy it in September 2013, so it may have been early off the assembly line ? Does anyone know what may have caused this? I'm thinking a manufacturer's defect or something else in the car caused it to go bad. There are 4 cylinder heads, and of course I have to wonder about the others. It's under warranty, but I am thinking I may have had bad luck with this one. Should I get rid of it? Thoughts, advice and Mechanical Knowledge 101 are appreciated. Thank you for reading this.

Jlinn

Hi. My trac off and check engine lights would not stay off. Service Department advised that the Codes that registered mean a cylinder head needs replaced. I am, uh, in shell shock. My first Corolla. I thought I was set with dependability, longevity and all the Corolla represents. I did buy it in September 2013, so it may have been early off the assembly line ? Does anyone know what may have caused this? I'm thinking a manufacturer's defect or something else in the car caused it to go bad. There are 4 cylinder heads, and of course I have to wonder about the others. It's under warranty, but I am thinking I may have had bad luck with this one. Should I get rid of it? Thoughts, advice and Mechanical Knowledge 101 are appreciated. Thank you for reading this.
I would've taken it in paid a little extra and just got a manual one.

Cindy

I would've taken it in paid a little extra and just got a manual one.
Not sure what you mean, Jlinn. Manual transmission? Don't know much about cars, but the Service Department said the CVT would not have affected the cylinder head. I asked him specifically. Signed, Single Female Not Sure What to Believe/Do About This.

sounds like a factory defect to me, there's no way that's breaking down in just 13k miles. I would probably just keep for now until your warranty expires, then think about it if you want to get rid of it or trade it in for an FR-S *cough *cough. lol
But they should cover all that and they also should know what went wrong. Hope everything works out for you, keep us posted about this.

Funny i have the same problem but the thing is that i have LED bulbs all around and dealer told me that the LED Bulbs where causing my Tac light and Engine light, and for some reason I'm getting horrible gas MPG. Currently I'm maybe standing at 19 mpg. Only thing i haven my car is exhaust and lowering springs so that wouldn't affect my mob. Also sometimes when I'm driving i have my gas pedal pressed and all of a sudden my engine loses power would this be something similar?

There is only one cylinder head. The one cylinder head holds all four combustion chambers, both cams, and intake / exhaust valves for all four cylinders. You only have more than one cylinder head in a Boxer or V-configuration engine. Inline engines just have one.

It's under warranty, so it isn't like you have to be worried about them ripping you off or anything. Sometimes (but very, very rarely) cylinder heads can be cast with weak points and these weak points fail (usually by cracking), causing a loss of compression in the cylinder.

Chances are you ran into that one bad cylinder head out of 100,000 that was cast with a defect that slipped by Quality Assurance and failed prematurely. The new one should be fine.

There is ONE cylinder *head* that services four cylinders.
Click and see number 2: http://www.wiringsdiagrams.com/sche...ine-and-cylinder-block-parts-assembly-diagram

If the car is still under warranty I would talk to my Toyota Dealership *Service Manager* and TELL him to Fix It!
Please Realize that the code you are getting *might* Not actually be the cylinder head itself.

Good Luck!
Nice find with the picture.

It's a 2014 with 13,500 miles. She's not even halfway through her powertrain warranty.

As far as the code might not actually being the cylinder head itself, always true, but I'm hoping that her dealership has competent mechanics (keep in mind they probably told her what was wrong in laymen terms).

Cindy

linder *head* that services four cylinders.
Click and see number 2: (REMOVED THIS SO I COULD REPLY)

If the car is still under warranty I would talk to my Toyota Dealership *Service Manager* and TELL him to Fix It!
Please Realize that the code you are getting *might* Not actually be the cylinder head itself.

Good Luck![/QUOTE]
Hi, Savoir Faire. The dealer has had it since last last Wednesday. They are replacing cylinder head. You sound like you know what u talking about. I don't. Your link is awesome for layout of the parts, but I see it is an old depiction. A relative-mechanic told me this weekend there were four cylinder heads. Whoops. No emoticon for embarassment. I appreciate your time and the great link.
Nice find with the picture.

It's a 2014 with 13,500 miles. She's not even halfway through her powertrain warranty.

As far as the code might not actually being the cylinder head itself, always true, but I'm hoping that her dealership has competent mechanics (keep in mind they probably told her what was wrong in laymen terms).[/QUO
It's under warranty, so it isn't like you have to be worried about them ripping you off or anything. Sometimes (but very, very rarely) cylinder heads can be cast with weak points and these weak points fail (usually by cracking), causing a loss of compression in the cylinder.

Chances are you ran into that one bad cylinder head out of 100,000 that was cast with a defect that slipped by Quality Assurance and failed prematurely. The new one should be fine.
TE]
sounds like a factory defect to me, there's no way that's breaking down in just 13k miles. I would probably just keep for now until your warranty expires, then think about it if you want to get rid of it or trade it in for an FR-S *cough *cough. lol
But they should cover all that and they also should know what went wrong. Hope everything works out for you, keep us posted about this.

Cindy

UPDATE: Was informed by Service Manager that there was a Bulletin out regarding, I think, Cylinder 4 or the Cylinder Block, and that they performed the suggested combustion, I think, test. His best "assessment," his word, due to problem with cylinder 4, was that there was a milling error at the factory. I was informed early on in the process that Service Department contacted Toyota with the Codes and that Toyota told them to replace the cylinder head. This is a total fluke, I believe, that it happened to me. I'm sure it happens rarely. Again, I bought this 2014 in September 2013. It's a new model (Eco Plus with CVT, just redesigned) and I had a thought that possibly I wasn't making a brilliant move buying it then but threw caution to the wind. The good news is the power train warranty is good for five years or 60,000 miles, which I am grateful for. Hope this update makes it to the right spot in this thread where those who have written to me can see it. I appreciate all of your links, words, and spreading your belief in the Toyota brand. It has been helpful ! Further thoughts from you are welcome.

Cindy

John, would you spell that out for me please? have no clue what you're telling me. but thank you ? torque converter ? thought i had a little closure on this topic . . .

Yeah it would be nice to know how the engine's running and a compression check and see if there is radiator fluid in the oil and or loss of radiator fluid from the radiator Or smoke out the exhaust pipe Or loss of engine oil And oil on cylinder 4's plug.
But so far from her last post it *seem* like she's getting blow by or blow out from cylinder 4. Shoot it could be as easy as re torqueing the head.

Cindy

Yeah it would be nice to know how the engine's running and a compression check and see if there is radiator fluid in the oil and or loss of radiator fluid from the radiator Or smoke out the exhaust pipe Or loss of engine oil And oil on cylinder 4's plug.
But so far from her last post it *seem* like she's getting blow by or blow out from cylinder 4. Shoot it could be as easy as re torqueing the head.
CINDY: Early on when Trac Off and Check Engine were on and Codes were read the term "misfire" was used.

My apology for lack of forum etiquette. This is a time consuming hobby, or in my case, reach out for assistance. If it becomes a hobby I'll pimp my profile.

Going to the dealer now to pick her up.

Cindy

do you mean 135,000 miles?
Don't scare me any worse than I am. Unfortunately, I do mean 13,500 miles. Had it a year and a half, don't drive much. I'm inclined to drive it to close the warranty expiration and see what shakes out. It is one of those rare factory issues, I think because of it being a new model and one of the earlier ones to roll of the assembly line. I should have thought twice. Too late. Came here for advice. Thank you.

So it is true not to buy a new car too early?? My wife wants to new Honda HRV but friends advise not to buy a car in its first year of production or at least not the first 3 months.

Cindy

So it is true not to buy a new car too early?? My wife wants to new Honda HRV but friends advise not to buy a car in its first year of production or at least not the first 3 months.
Based on my experience, this is my second new car ever, I would say the wive's tale is true, to not buy it early on. I bought a 2014 newly redesigned model, LE ECO PLUS, in Sept. 2013. Service Manager, after all the codes and directions from the Toyota Mother Ship, said his "assessment" was a milling issue at the factory, of the cylinder head, 4th cylinder. I really like this little car, but it is not getting the mileage I hoped for, only getting around 32-33 regularly. The seats stain extremely easily also. I won't be heartbroken if I decide to get rid of it. But am more so hoping that perhaps the same friggin lights will come on again, the same issue or other fallout from this issue, and they will be forced to give me a new one. Dreaming. But I vote no, don't buy early in the manufacturing process.

Cindy

Cindy, personally, I would get a new car. This is such a major problem for a practically brand new car. Thanks for sharing this problem with us.
Hi. I am a torn woman. The Service Manager is adamant about the part replaced being the only problem and it is as good as new and this will not affect trade-in value, all from him. I guess it's a no-brainer to drive it for a while, as it's under warranty. Hate to buy a new car because of the sales tax and delivery ($800) charge. Tempted to hope for the best. Thanks for reading/writing !

Cindy

It's a strange atmosphere in the service area, they're like Stepford employees. The Manager and his First Sargent both poo-poo'd my concerns about the longevity of the car and rather scoffed at me for worrying about it. It is def confusing. Just got it back today. They had it for 3 days after receiving the part. I looked at a pic of the cylinder block area. This part is right on top of the head gasket, and even we females have heard how expensive they are. I can be gullible, but these Service guys seemed straight up to me. Toyota does have an AWESOME reputation. I looked up the Lemon Law here in PA. If the problem recurs I may have a tree to bark up for another car. I need to take a break from the issue but this friggin forum is addicting. Thanks.

Jlinn

It's a strange atmosphere in the service area, they're like Stepford employees. The Manager and his First Sargent both poo-poo'd my concerns about the longevity of the car and rather scoffed at me for worrying about it. It is def confusing. Just got it back today. They had it for 3 days after receiving the part. I looked at a pic of the cylinder block area. This part is right on top of the head gasket, and even we females have heard how expensive they are. I can be gullible, but these Service guys seemed straight up to me. Toyota does have an AWESOME reputation. I looked up the Lemon Law here in PA. If the problem recurs I may have a tree to bark up for another car. I need to take a break from the issue but this friggin forum is addicting. Thanks.
Hopefully your car is good to go now! The only way to truly know is drive it to 115 if no problems occur you should be good to go :)

Your mechanic friend is incorrect. There is only one cylinder head on both engines available in the Corolla.

If it was a milling error, then it was as I suspected (you got the one in 100,000 that slipped past QA).

Sounds like they did a compression test and it failed in #4 because of the milling error. The new head won't have that error and will last as long as any other Corolla with the Valvematic.

Cindy

Please start a new thread for this (and we need the actual code itself as well).
Hi. Asked Him for the Codes on the telephone and he said "he didn't get that far into it." Maybe he meant him personally. He, being the Service Manager. Below is what the service report for yesterday said when I picked up the car. BTW, this was my second visit for same issue (check engine light and trac off light).

"Performed flow chart diagnosis. Found Code p219f Air Fuel Ratio Imbalance Diagnostic Trouble Code. Found service bulletin applies to vehicle due to cylinder head leak down of compression. Replaced cylinder head and 4 valves per bulletin. Test drove vehicle 30 miles and no light returned."

I will attempt to start new thread later, as I'm just getting the hang of this and can't face that thought right now. Thank you, Donabed Kopoian, for reading/writing.

I am so sorry you had this rare and critical problem. We buy Toyota's for many reasons, the most important for me and many others is reliability. Your confidence is shaken now, but usually this fix by a competent Service department will keep your Corolla running fine for many years and miles. Your case is the exception and not the rule, keep that in mind. I hope you can build trust in your car after this and I am thinking you will. Keep us posted and the best of luck...

Your mechanic friend is incorrect. There is only one cylinder head on both engines available in the Corolla.

If it was a milling error, then it was as I suspected (you got the one in 100,000 that slipped past QA).

Sounds like they did a compression test and it failed in #4 because of the milling error. The new head won't have that error and will last as long as any other Corolla with the Valvematic.

Do you think this failure is at all related to it being the ECO version with the "intelligent" valvematic management system? I've come across a couple of instances of some fairly significant repairs to ECO model engines now ( another being the valve management module failed and had to be replaced?

I personally would have a hard time trusting this car long term. As you know the milling and the gasket placement must be perfect in order to prevent a repeat. I wouldn't be that confident in a dealer doing this as well as the factory (well, I guess the factory didn't do so well on this one). Also, there is the possibility of other damage having occurred, although likely not if it was caught early. I think the owner should have the right to demand an extended warranty in this case, with a major engine repair at this mileage.

I'm in PA too. Do you mind mentioning what part of PA you are in, can PM if you'd like. I know of two dealers in PA who have EXCELLENT service, should you require further work. I think they treated you condescendingly because you're a female. That's BS, I would have called them on it. There's also a certain amount of attitude among Toyota and Honda dealers that their cars are perfect and how dare you have a concern. Toyota may send you a survey about how satisfied you were with the service work. I'd let them know of your concerns. Toyota doesn't like to hear of that kind of stuff. Toyota sells a lot of cars to women buyers, and I'm sure they don't want them alienated.

Cindy

I'm in PA too. Do you mind mentioning what part of PA you are in, can PM if you'd like. I know of two dealers in PA who have EXCELLENT service, should you require further work. I think they treated you condescendingly because you're a female. That's BS, I would have called them on it. There's also a certain amount of attitude among Toyota and Honda dealers that their cars are perfect and how dare you have a concern. Toyota may send you a survey about how satisfied you were with the service work. I'd let them know of your concerns. Toyota doesn't like to hear of that kind of stuff. Toyota sells a lot of cars to women buyers, and I'm sure they don't want them alienated.
Hi. I'm in York PA. The Dealer/Service I used was Lancaster, PA. I hate to fry balls on this, although I'm doing pretty good at it, but the only oil change I've had at 10,000 they performed and guess what. They didn't tighten something and oil leaked in my garage. They kissed my behind after that big time. And now I have almost Linda Blair'd them over this cylinder head issue. I believe they think I'm a royal pain in d az.

Yes, but there is new and new... «New» models often used well proved components under new sheet metal. Our Corollas, for instance, except for Valvematic (Eco) and CVT's, are not so «new». The odd case will happen whatever. My LE Eco was one of the first build in Canada and not a single issue so far (17 months, 20,000 miles).

Hi. I'm in York PA. The Dealer/Service I used was Lancaster, PA. I hate to fry balls on this, although I'm doing pretty good at it, but the only oil change I've had at 10,000 they performed and guess what. They didn't tighten something and oil leaked in my garage. They kissed my behind after that big time. And now I have almost Linda Blair'd them over this cylinder head issue. I believe they think I'm a royal pain in d az.
Faulkner Toyota in Harrisburg is very good service. Confer Toyota in State College is excellent, but too far from you. From you dealer's performance record for service, if it were me I'd be looking fora new servicing dealer. Nothing wrong with being a pain in the butt as long as you are respectful and polite but firm. Don't look at as getting someone in trouble, look at it as protecting yourself against a possible future problem caused by an issue Toyota has recognized as frequent enough that they have issued as TSB. contact Toyota directly to see what they will offer you (don't HAVE to offer you anything) to address your concerns.

Cindy

Faulkner Toyota in Harrisburg is very good service. Confer Toyota in State College is excellent, but too far from you. From you dealer's performance record for service, if it were me I'd be looking fora new servicing dealer. Nothing wrong with being a pain in the butt as long as you are respectful and polite but firm. Don't look at as getting someone in trouble, look at it as protecting yourself against a possible future problem caused by an issue Toyota has recognized as frequent enough that they have issued as TSB. contact Toyota directly to see what they will offer you (don't HAVE to offer you anything) to address your concerns.
Follow-up on your suggestions: The Toyota Company said no "good will extended warranty" due to time left on my factory warranty (3.5 years) and it being too early to tell if there is a problem because it is "fixed." FYI, I was very polite and they were very nice about it on the telephone.

The dealer offered me a discount on Platinum Extended Warranty 8 years 75,000 coverage on EVERYTHING except consumables, which is rather insulting but probably better than incurring the cost of trading in. This little gem cost $23,000 with all the PA dings and delivery charge to the dealer, blah blah.

I will be using Faulkner hopefully in the the future. Common sense is telling me if there is an issue it will pop up in the pretty near future, within the next 3.5 years. Right?

Thank you for your time reading/writing. Extremely Helpful and exactly what I hoped for when I joined this forum.

If there was an issue and they fixed it, then they fixed it. No manufacturer is immune to sending out a bad apple here and there. The issue was from milling (i.e. machining), so they know if the new head will have that issue or not by looking at it. Chances are only a few made it out of the plant that way.

Enjoy your car! Don't worry about if something else is going to happen. The odds that two isolated and very rare mistakes left the plant and happened to be on your car are less than that of getting struck by lightning.

Yes, but there is new and new... «New» models often used well proved components under new sheet metal. Our Corollas, for instance, except for Valvematic (Eco) and CVT's, are not so «new». The odd case will happen whatever. My LE Eco was one of the first build in Canada and not a single issue so far (17 months, 20,000 miles).
The six speed and clutch slave cylinder design is also new.

Plus, after the crap I dealt with the 5 miserable years I had my '03 Ford Focus, I'd take a head change in warranty. Chances are strong it's the only major issue you'll have for 200,000 miles.

Cindy

If there was an issue and they fixed it, then they fixed it. No manufacturer is immune to sending out a bad apple here and there. The issue was from milling (i.e. machining), so they know if the new head will have that issue or not by looking at it. Chances are only a few made it out of the plant that way.

Enjoy your car! Don't worry about if something else is going to happen. The odds that two isolated and very rare mistakes left the plant and happened to be on your car are less than that of getting struck by lightning.
In a couple weeks it won't sting as much. Very fresh right now, plus I know little about cars. It stung. This has been a little easier to deal with having virtual ears and advice. Thanks, DK

Yeah...usually women are treated poorly in terms of vehicle repairs. Most men believe they just swindle a woman and be done with it. Thats why all the female friends I know, I tell them to either bring a car guy with them or me or give me a call and let me know what they tell them at the dealership. Is it sexist? Yes it is, but it has been going on for as long as cars have been around. Male mechanics do not see women as car people and as such try to gip them at every turn, including oil change shops, tires, etc.

Yeah...usually women are treated poorly in terms of vehicle repairs. Most men believe they just swindle a woman and be done with it. Thats why all the female friends I know, I tell them to either bring a car guy with them or me or give me a call and let me know what they tell them at the dealership. Is it sexist? Yes it is, but it has been going on for as long as cars have been around. Male mechanics do not see women as car people and as such try to gip them at every turn, including oil change shops, tires, etc.
My sister starts trolling them when they play that crap with her, LOL!

This is exactly the type of reputation car manufacturer's have been trying so hard to get rid of for the last 25 years. Especially Toyota, they wanted to be known as the car company that always tried their hardest to earn your trust. Toyota would love to hear from you on the way this bunch of clowns treated you. Call Toyota with a detailed description of the events that happened, they really want to hear this type demeaning behavior, start here, 800-331-4331.
This is not the way Toyota wants you to feel leaving one of their service departments. In my experience your Toyota dealership is the exception and not the usual way you are treated at a Toyota dealership.

This is exactly the type of reputation car manufacturer's have been trying so hard to get rid of for the last 25 years. Especially Toyota, they wanted to be known as the car company that always tried their hardest to earn your trust. Toyota would love to hear from you on the way this bunch of clowns treated you. Call Toyota with a detailed description of the events that happened, they really want to hear this type demeaning behavior, start here, 800-331-4331.
This is not the way Toyota wants you to feel leaving one of their service departments. In my experience your Toyota dealership is the exception and not the usual way you are treated at a Toyota dealership.
...my parents just leased a brand new 2015 Civic yesterday and the salesperson swindled them into buying an extra $18 per month package to cover the 5K mile synthetic oil change EVERY 5K!

Cindy

Why should Toyota give her a new car? And it's not a big job. Can easily be done in 6 hours depending on the technician.
Took the car on Wednesday, which was the second time for the same lights, check engine & trac off. They had part(s) overnighted from Toyota. Car was ready for pickup Monday afternoon. That time period can be explained away I suppose. But the bad oil change at 10 K I had there cannot be explained away. They didn't tighten something and oil leaked in the garage. And I'm not asking for a new car. I asked them (Toyota) for a free extended warranty on the drive train. Bottom line, in a nice way they said no, problem fixed. I think they owe me that peace of mind. I have 3.5 years left, as I'll never make it to 60,000. Don't drive much. However, a new car would be nice. I have googled the H out of this issue and cannot find that anyone else has experienced bad cylinder head on new Toyota car. Oh, plus they installed four new valves, for what it's worth. Thanks for the read/write. p.s. I am bonding moreso with the F'd up little car due to its foibles. ha ha

Cindy

On a lease car? Oh hell no...
Update from a couple of weeks ago on the cylinder head replacement: Within a week there was oil on my garage floor. Took it back to Service. They replaced a oil gasket, I think, and took it for a drive. During the drive the check engine and trac off lights came on again. They contacted Toyota Corp. It took 4 days to decide to replace Valvematic. (Just a reminder that approx 3 weeks ago the cylinder head & four valves around the fourth cylinder, hope I got that right, were replaced.) I questioned them on what parts the Valvematic constituted. There is a heck of a list of parts on the service record for this fix and the bill was way over $3000. No charge to me though. But that's 3 times to the shop for "fourth cylinder misfire." I was shown a part that had pronounced uneven wear and was "causing" the problem. However it is a mystery as to what caused the uneven wear and Service was told to send the whole contraption to Toyota to be studied.

Today Corporate offered me a 125,000 mile/8 years extended comprehensive warranty. I took it. There also was the option to Arbitration for a replacement car, but I'm sick of it all and just want it to end. He did say that if the same issue cropped up again that I would still have the ability to Arbitrate for a replacement. Oh, and of course, the other option, Lemon Law. I'm satisfied with the extended warranty and hope I made the right decision. I hope the car is not dangerous, but I trust ? that Toyota would not have returned it to me if it weren't. I went to a different service center this time.