Most of us Probably have a "Recall" (CVT)

My 2015 Corolla S is listed for the special campaign update as well. I was driving on the freeway, when the engine lost power - just revs a lot but no power. Had to come to a complete stop on the freeway, turn off engine, turned on and drove slowly to safety. Had the car towed to the dealer, service manager thinks transmission is shot, needs new transmission. Unfortunately, my car has 70k miles on it, so it is out of warranty. Service manager is working with Toyota to see if transmission replacement will be covered by Toyota, given the CVT issues and the special campaign. Fingers crossed. I really don't want to spend 6k on a new transmission for a car I purchased new not long ago!!!

My 2015 Corolla S is listed for the special campaign update as well. I was driving on the freeway, when the engine lost power - just revs a lot but no power. Had to come to a complete stop on the freeway, turn off engine, turned on and drove slowly to safety. Had the car towed to the dealer, service manager thinks transmission is shot, needs new transmission. Unfortunately, my car has 70k miles on it, so it is out of warranty. Service manager is working with Toyota to see if transmission replacement will be covered by Toyota, given the CVT issues and the special campaign. Fingers crossed. I really don't want to spend 6k on a new transmission for a car I purchased new not long ago!!!
If the trouble is service campaign related (Valve body control), the campaign provide for a replacement whatever the mileage. If the trouble is something else, that might be another story. $6K... look at salvaged option.

My recently purchased '17 Corolla got the CVT update during it's certification process. I verified this on Toyota's website. I did drive a '16 Scion iM and it's transmission felt different than the Corolla I bought. I assume they are the same transmission.

If the trouble is service campaign related (Valve body control), the campaign provide for a replacement whatever the mileage. If the trouble is something else, that might be another story. $6K... look at salvaged option.
Thank you for your response. I am not entirely sure if the trouble was related - trouble code was P2820 - Internal transmission failure. The dealership submitted a warranty case to Toyota for authorization and Toyota authorized the CVT replacement (although mileage was 70k) - no charge to customer. After like a week or so, I picked up my car from dealership today and it runs great. Just glad that I did not have to spend 6k. Hope this information is useful to someone else in a similar situation.

Thank you for your response. I am not entirely sure if the trouble was related - trouble code was P2820 - Internal transmission failure. The dealership submitted a warranty case to Toyota for authorization and Toyota authorized the CVT replacement (although mileage was 70k) - no charge to customer. After like a week or so, I picked up my car from dealership today and it runs great. Just glad that I did not have to spend 6k. Hope this information is useful to someone else in a similar situation.
You're welcome ! P2820 sounds like it, plus the fact that they honored the post-warranty replacement. Glad it turns out well for you. We haven't seen many actual failure case on forums despite the number of units on the road which is somewhat reassuring !

I heard the "J0D" recall campaign was suspended, but now they have a "JSD" recall service campaign. What is the difference between the two or are they two separate CVT issues?

Also, planning on driving 600 miles both ways to family for Christmas. Should I get this remedied prior to that? Car has 25k miles on it.

Last edited:
I heard the "J0D" recall campaign was suspended, but now they have a "JSD" recall service campaign. What is the difference between the two or are they two separate CVT issues?

Also, planning on driving 600 miles both ways to family for Christmas. Should I get this remedied prior to that? Car has 25k miles on it.
JSD replaces JOD. It's the same firmware update for the same potential problem but with a "better" procedure to establish if the transmission also need some repair and how to do it. We haven't heard of many cases where the CVT had actually suffer the "premature" wear this correct so I don't think 600 miles are a big deal but if you have a chance to do it before, why not.

JSD replaces JOD. It's the same firmware update for the same potential problem but with a "better" procedure to establish if the transmission also need some repair and how to do it. We haven't heard of many cases where the CVT had actually suffer the "premature" wear this correct so I don't think 600 miles are a big deal but if you have a chance to do it before, why not.
Thank you!

Here is a copy of what they did to my car for the JSD. Something about poor calibration and looks to be around 1200 RPM. Thought it may help some of you.
Hey, that is really awesome of you! I appreciate it.

Since I am a new Rolla owner, I just want to make sure I am taking the best care of my car. If you don't mind me asking, what motor oil do you use? Toyota Genuine or another full synthetic? Also Toyota told me since its full synthetic, I only need to replace the oil every 10,000 miles, but I always assumed it was 5,000. What is your take on that?

Also, do you use SeaFoam at all for engine care?

Also Toyota told me since its full synthetic, I only need to replace the oil every 10,000 miles, but I always assumed it was 5,000. What is your take on that? Also, do you use SeaFoam at all for engine care?
It's full synthetic and 10K is reasonable as full synthetic can go a long way. But like with regular oil, it also depends on driving condition (short trips, stop and go, dusty environment, towing...). The thing is : in Canada (probably because of winter) Toyota still recommends 5K intervals. Its also not such a big expense to do it more often than the maximum suggested. On Seafom, you'll hear everything from "it works miracles" to "useless".