Thinking About Buying A New Corolla But Have Question

You being sarcastic, bro? :) Of course corollas are the most reliable! I was wondering about the 3GT because I have read complaints from Mazda owners about suspensions. Even Edmunds's longterm Mazda3 road test mentions 4 dealer repairs in 1 year.

I heard that Mazda's like to rust a lot. I also heard that Corolla's are one of the most reliable cars on the road today.

ZeCorolla

I Love Corolla's!
You being sarcastic, bro? :) Of course corollas are the most reliable! I was wondering about the 3GT because I have read complaints from Mazda owners about suspensions. Even Edmunds's longterm Mazda3 road test mentions 4 dealer repairs in 1 year.
I'm being serious about Mazda. Many of my friends who own Mazda's call them rust buckets and a quick search shows a lot of newer Mazda's (mainly Mazda 3's) have rust on them.

How does the 3SGT or 3iGT compare with the Corolla in terms of reliability? That is important for me.
JD Powers, Consumer Reports and True Delta all have those two neck to neck.
Mazdas used to be rust bucket, but those days might be over.
Some infotainement glitches are reported.
High compression engines ("Skyactive") don't seem to affect relialibility so far, nor the CVT's in Corolla.
See alsol the cost of parts, as Corolla is much widely spread thant the 3.

I looked it up. JD Powers reports Mazda3 reliability as 2.5 and Corolla as 4.5 out of 5.
From the JD Powers page for 2014 the score would be :
Corolla---> Quality [initial] : 4/5 - Performance and design : 4/5 - Predicted reliability 4/5
Mazda 3->
Quality [initial] : 2/5 - Performance and design : 4/5 - Predicted reliability 4/5
Civic----->
Quality [initial] : 4/5 - Performance and design : 3/5 - Predicted reliability 4/5

Main complaints in "Quality [initial]" for the 3 being infotainment glitches, fast wearing of materials (leather) and some mechanical parts (suspension)

Interestingly, on the longer term, for 2012 (3 now being a different beast, Corolla not so much)
Corolla---> Quality [initial] : 5/5 - Performance and design : 2/5 - Predicted reliability 5/5
Mazda 3->
Quality [initial] : 4/5 - Performance and design : 3/5 - Predicted reliability 4/5
Civic----->
Quality [initial] : 4/5 - Performance and design : 3/5 - Predicted reliability 5/5

Jlinn

From the JD Powers page for 2014 the score would be :
Corolla---> Quality [initial] : 4/5 - Performance and design : 4/5 - Predicted reliability 4/5
Mazda 3->
Quality [initial] : 2/5 - Performance and design : 4/5 - Predicted reliability 4/5
Civic----->

Main complaints in "Quality [initial]" for the 3 being infotainment glitches, fast wearing of materials (leather) and some mechanical parts (suspension)

Interestingly, on the longer term, for 2012 (3 now being a different beast, Corolla not so much)
Corolla---> Quality [initial] : 5/5 - Performance and design : 2/5 - Predicted reliability 5/5
Mazda 3->
Civic----->
Quality [initial] : 4/5 - Performance and design : 3/5 - Predicted reliability 5/5
How is the corollas performance 4/5 what scale do they use???

How is the corollas performance 4/5 what scale do they use???
JD Powers are based on owner satisfaction, not test numbers. So your Corolla owner is satisfied with how it performs per his expectations, just as Mazda 3 owners.
Plus it is performance and design (mainly creature comfort, equipment for price...)

Reviews say the '15 Corolla has much body lean. What is this? When I turn my car, my body leans outwards. But happens in all cars. Do they mean the Corolla's body forces outwards. That also happen sin all cars. The corolla's center of gravity is higher than my old civic I feel. Maybe that is why it leans outwards more. But it is less bumpy than my civic. All Corolla reviews claim "lackluster handling." what do they really mean? My old civic was definitely more fun to drive, bumpy, responsive. The corolla feels a bit like a boat compared to it (more comfortable, slower to start/stop, more onerous steering, more of a limo feel)

Jlinn

Reviews say the '15 Corolla has much body lean. What is this? When I turn my car, my body leans outwards. But happens in all cars. Do they mean the Corolla's body forces outwards. That also happen sin all cars. The corolla's center of gravity is higher than my old civic I feel. Maybe that is why it leans outwards more. But it is less bumpy than my civic. All Corolla reviews claim "lackluster handling." what do they really mean? My old civic was definitely more fun to drive, bumpy, responsive. The corolla feels a bit like a boat compared to it (more comfortable, slower to start/stop, more onerous steering, more of a limo feel)
Put some coilovers on it and drop it around 2 inches the handling is so much more fun I bought some d2 racing springs that dropped the car 2.25 inches it's super bouncey though lol but the steering and handling is so much better. *******SPOILER ALERT*******If you've seen fast and furious 7 it feels like it handles like that Maserati that Jason statham had when him and vin diesel crashed into each other the first time.

Jlinn

Is this because of lower center of gravity?

Who can install these coilovers?
Yes and you can install them yourself with the Corolla it's very straight forward but I would take it to a do it yourself garage to make sure you have access to the right tools ex impact gun

That's what you described. So if you love to take turns at high speed, you might be happier with a sportier, firmer, lower car.

In my old manual civic, if I had a long stretch with no traffic with a downhill gradient or no need to accelerate or brake soon, I used to switch into neutral and coast. Can I do this with my automatic rolla by shifting from D to N at say 30 mph and coast? Do I have to press the brake while changing from D to N?

Another question: When stopped at a traffic light, I change from D to N and take my foot off the brake. This is an old habit from my manual civic. I don't know if this is OK to do in an auto since I have never driven an auto trans till 3 weeks ago with this rolla.

Leave it in D, that keeps the oil pressure up while the car is moving at speed. Putting it in N idles the engine and thus lowers the transmission oil pressure. It probably won't hurt it, but there is no benefit to it.

You don't need to push the brake to go from D to N or N to D.

If you are stopped at a light, you can go from D to N and take your foot off the brake and not hurt the car, but I don't recommend that. If you do that, your brake lights are not on, and a rookie driver may think you are moving forward and inadvertently rear-end you. I only go into neutral when I already have a couple cars behind me.

If you are stopped at a light, you can go from D to N and take your foot off the brake and not hurt the car, but I don't recommend that. If you do that, your brake lights are not on, and a rookie driver may think you are moving forward and inadvertently rear-end you. I only go into neutral when I already have a couple cars behind me.
Plus if you are not on a perfectly level surface - even if it seems so - your car might go backward slightly. To me that's one of the most annoying thing on the road...

How does the 3SGT or 3iGT compare with the Corolla in terms of reliability? That is important for me.
It's too hard to tell. There isn't much data on the newer Mazda Skyactiv platforms since they ditched Ford. The only thing that holds me back from going Mazda is the sole fact I don't know how reliable they are down the road.

I am thinking about purchasing either a 2014 Corolla LE Eco or S but I have some questions I hope some owners can answer.

1) How does new Corolla's steering and handling feel when compared to an 8th gen (2006-2011) Honda Civic?

My current car is a 2008 Honda Civic EX Coupe and I think its steering and handling is much better than older generation Corollas.

Although various reviews on web sites have indicated that Toyota has improved steering and handling on the 2014 Corolla but I don't know how much better.

So I hope perhaps there are some former 8th gen Civic owners who can answer this question.

(Yes, I know I should go for a test drive at a dealership to find out myself but I would like to hear from some owners first before I actually go down to a dealership to engage in some uncomfortable conversations with car sales people).

2) The rear seat headrests appear to be non-adjustable and non-removable. Is that correct?

If so, how do you guys cope with the diminishing rear mirror view because those tall headrests are blocking the rear window view?

I don't know why Toyota would make tall headrests which block rear view but this could be one reason I will not buy a new Corolla if I cannot get use to it during a test drive.

Any information would be appreciated.
Thank you.
With the electronic steering assistance I think it is great and far better than anything eles that's out there right now.

After owning my Corolla for a year , including a trip from Texas to California and back, I am really impressed so far . It's supposed to be a compact, but it seems like a much larger car in all respects....except for the gas mileage of course !:D

I am still a bit of a novice and still learning things about the Corolla.

A question for the more experienced and expert Corollas enthusiasts.:
Are there are real advantages to shifting into the "S" and "B" positions on "D" (LE Plus with the standard CVT)? If so, why, when and where ?

In my old manual civic, if I had a long stretch with no traffic with a downhill gradient or no need to accelerate or brake soon, I used to switch into neutral and coast. Can I do this with my automatic rolla by shifting from D to N at say 30 mph and coast? Do I have to press the brake while changing from D to N?

Another question: When stopped at a traffic light, I change from D to N and take my foot off the brake. This is an old habit from my manual civic. I don't know if this is OK to do in an auto since I have never driven an auto trans till 3 weeks ago with this rolla.
I drove manual transmissions with overdrive for years. When going down a long downgrade I shifted back into third gear for extra engine braking. Coasting is bad for the brakes. I have asked a question about the "B" position for downhill driving so I'm not sure about the CVT, but I think you should leave it in gear at all times when driving and use the engine for braking.

Back in my young and single bachelor days I used to always buy cars with "stick shift and overdrive." However, when I got married I never could teach the spouse how to get synchronized with the cluth and brake and accelerator pedals at stops, so I had go to automatics. Sigh:(

Are there are real advantages to shifting into the "S" and "B" positions on "D" (LE Plus with the standard CVT)? If so, why, when and where ?
I have S Premium and don't see any S or B position!

What do reviewers mean when they say "Corolla steering has no feedback"? When I turn the wheel, it responds at once. Not like my old F150 that used to wait for a while after I turned the wheel or would turn on its own if I let go of the wheel. What is this feedback issue on Corolla?

I have S Premium and don't see any S or B position!
I have a 2014 LE Plus. The "S" is supposed to be for "Sport" mode and the "B" is for "Braking" mode for descending steep grades. Maybe the shift is different on the S models. Does yours have the standard CVT or otherwise ? The "S" and "B" are in detents by pushing the shift lever to the left for "S" and then down another notch for the "B" modes on mine.

I heard that Mazda's like to rust a lot. I also heard that Corolla's are one of the most reliable cars on the road today.
I had also been considering another Ford product - Focus, Fusion or Taurus - since Mercury has been discontinued. But after I read reliability problems on some of the Ford products and the good reliability reports on the Corolla I started reconsidering . But what really sold me on the Corolla was the week of driving the rent car - a Corolla.

I have a 2015 LE Plus, according to the manual, the S isn't for sport mode. The S means engine braking, and the B is maximum engine braking. Only the S model has a Sport transmission button, that is located next to the switch for the Traction Control.

I have S Premium with CVT. But no S or B. But it has M. hahaha

I have a 2014 LE Plus. The "S" is supposed to be for "Sport" mode and the "B" is for "Braking" mode for descending steep grades. Maybe the shift is different on the S models. Does yours have the standard CVT or otherwise ? The "S" and "B" are in detents by pushing the shift lever to the left for "S" and then down another notch for the "B" modes on mine.

I have a 2015 LE Plus, according to the manual, the S isn't for sport mode. The S means engine braking, and the B is maximum engine braking. Only the S model has a Sport transmission button, that is located next to the switch for the Traction Control.
Thanks .:)
I stand corrected. I re-read the manual and you are of course correct. I had read somewhere-maybe on a reviews on some other website-that the "S" stood for "Sport.":oops: Maybe they had confused the S model with the LE model.
Here is one website which calls the "S" position as "Sport."

Last edited:
The manual (Page 175) clearly states:
S="Engine braking"
B="Maximum engine braking"

At least some of the video is nothing like that on my 2014 Corolla LE Plus.

Last edited:
I found articles online that said do not use engine braking with CVT. They say not to suddenly downshift using paddles when traveling at speed to brake. CVTs are so new no one knows what impact it will have long term. Brakes are cheaper to replace than CVTs. this is a bummer because I am used to downshifting on my old manual Civic and avoiding brakes.

Jlinn

Not really when it comes to top end but if you put it in "b" mode at 30mph and floor it the car feels like it has around 180-190 hp no lie lol it really surprises you but other than that no and it wastes more gas. Also I think "s" s for moderate engine braking and b for engine braking

Jlinn

I found articles online that said do not use engine braking with CVT. They say not to suddenly downshift using paddles when traveling at speed to brake. CVTs are so new no one knows what impact it will have long term. Brakes are cheaper to replace than CVTs. this is a bummer because I am used to downshifting on my old manual Civic and avoiding brakes.
Omg my friend let me drive his manual 2009 civic si and wtf when the vtec kicked in I was sooooo wet lol I really approve of vtec it's a masterpiece I got back in my Corolla and was instantly depressed. Hopefully once I get these chips in and engine tuned I'll be ok

Not sure I would do it but the hole thing remains under the control of electronic «nannies» that wouldn't let you harm the car anyway. CVTs are far from new except in our market (concept by... Leonardo da Vinci, used in european cars since the mid 1950's and by Toyota itself for 14 years !). Among the first here was Saturn Ion, but it used a rubber belt. Bad idea ! But it's hard not to be a bit cautious knowing that all rest on that little steel belt and oil pressure !

ToyBoy

Ok , heres my take on my 2014 Corolla LE Plus. I think people are trying to make their Corolla a sports car , which it`s not.The cvt is designed for gas mileage and the Corolla is only something like 128hp . I love my Corolla for these reasons. 1. great gas mileage if you drive sensible 2. good looks 3. roomy , best back seat of any compact car. 4. record for good reliability and resale value 5. good smooth ride overall . 6. Price was acceptable 7. I like the dash, it`s more in tune with cars of the past and all the new cars of today have the same look to their dashboard.

Jlinn

Ok , heres my take on my 2014 Corolla LE Plus. I think people are trying to make their Corolla a sports car , which it`s not.The cvt is designed for gas mileage and the Corolla is only something like 128hp . I love my Corolla for these reasons. 1. great gas mileage if you drive sensible 2. good looks 3. roomy , best back seat of any compact car. 4. record for good reliability and resale value 5. good smooth ride overall . 6. Price was acceptable 7. I like the dash, it`s more in tune with cars of the past and all the new cars of today have the same look to their dashboard.
What's wrong with trying to make it a sports car?? We all know it can't actually become one unless you have the cash. But what's wrong with trying to get more hp out of it??

Last edited:

ToyBoy

What's wrong with trying to make it a sports car?? We all know it can't actually become one unless you have the cash. But what's wrong with trying to get more hp out of it??
Well , you can try all you want but it aint gonna happen. You would have been better off just buying a sports car if that is what you wanted.

ToyBoy

we all know this but it's each persons car if they want to make it more sport like then what's the big deal??
No problem with that. I`ve added dark tint and a wood gearshift knob also put a emblem across the front window and a tint strip there too . I put stripes along the bottom of the rocker panels also , and since taken them off because of some peeling issue. I`m just saying that doing expensive engine mods and expensive suspension mods will not turn the Corolla into a sports car. But it`s your money so do what you want. I just have a limit as to what I would spend on up-grades . Enjoy your Corolla , I know I like mine. Jim

Jlinn

No problem with that. I`ve added dark tint and a wood gearshift knob also put a emblem across the front window and a tint strip there too . I put stripes along the bottom of the rocker panels also , and since taken them off because of some peeling issue. I`m just saying that doing expensive engine mods and expensive suspension mods will not turn the Corolla into a sports car. But it`s your money so do what you want. I just have a limit as to what I would spend on up-grades . Enjoy your Corolla , I know I like mine. Jim
Ahhhh ok have fun!!

My take on my 2014 Corolla LE-Plus. My take is just about the same.

My reasons for the Corolla:

1. I found the price was a little lower than some of the other options (Ford Focus or Fusion) I was considering. And I was lucky to get the exact model, color and equipment that I wanted without a special order, which I usually have to do to get them. No hasseling or high pressuring either.

2.The local Toyota dealer has a good reputation for service and seems to be prospering. They are just completing a large new service and sales area. Have had it in for the 5,000 and 10,000 mile free service .
In and out quickly so far.

3.Since that is where I sit most of the time in the car I like the dash design. The exterior sort of grows on you. Can't tell much difference between some Lexus models - other than the price.Just waxed it and it really shines. I have the "Super White" . I really need my sunglasses on a sunny day. The only difference I see between the Corolla's steering wheel and some Lexus model is that the Corolla has the Toyota logo and the Lexus have an "L"

4. There seem to be more big and little touches not present on other cars. Everything seems more upscale with more attention to details. Took a trip from Texas to California and found a lot of goodies. There are several extras that you wouldn't expect on a car of this class and price. CVT is the smoothest transmission I have ever driven. There have been some complaints about slow acceleration but I don't have any trouble getting up to speed to merge with the traffic and no problem in keeping up with the traffic and passing. Headlights are a lot brighter , too. Blue tooth for the cell phone. And a lot more et cetera, et cetera and so forth could be included. Automatic air conditioner for one. Started out on a cold and rainy morning on the trip - air conditioner set itself to heater- warmed up during the day and it switched to cool automatically. Just set the temperature and the inside temperature remains constant regardless of outside temperature. And then there's that back up camera.

5.Biggest thing I like is the gas mileage. 30 MPG in town which includes a lot of short trips, stop and go traffic and some freeway driving. 40 MPG on the road on the California trip. Mostly lnterstate with cruise control at 65 to 70 MPH.

6. Bottom line.: The wife and daughter like the Corolla. LOL. They think they have more room than the mid-size car that it replaced. Luggage capacity is about the same.The ride is a lot quieter on the Interstates . I suggested maybe we should get a bigger, more powerful, smoother and quieter car the next time we are thinking of buying a new car - maybe a Camry or an Avalon . But they said "Why ?" LOL

1. I found the price was a little lower than some of the other options (Ford Focus or Fusion) I was considering. And I was lucky to get the exact model, color and equipment that I wanted without a special order, which I usually have to do to get them. No hasseling or high pressuring either.

2.The local Toyota dealer has a good reputation for service and seems to be prospering. They are just completing a large new service and sales area. Have had it in for the 5,000 and 10,000 mile free service .

3.Since that is where I sit most of the time in the car I like the dash design. The exterior sort of grows on you. Can't tell much difference between some Lexus models - other than the price.Just waxed it and it really shines. I have the "Super White" . I really need my sunglasses on a sunny day. The only difference I see between the Corolla's steering wheel and some Lexus model is that the Corolla has the Toyota logo and the Lexus have an "L"

4. There seem to be more big and little touches not present on other cars. Everything seems more upscale with more attention to details. Took a trip from Texas to California and found a lot of goodies. There are several extras that you wouldn't expect on a car of this class and price. CVT is the smoothest transmission I have ever driven. There have been some complaints about slow acceleration but I don't have any trouble getting up to speed to merge with the traffic and no problem in keeping up with the traffic and passing. Headlights are a lot brighter , too. Blue tooth for the cell phone. And a lot more et cetera, et cetera and so forth could be included. Automatic air conditioner for one. Started out on a cold and rainy morning on the trip - air conditioner set itself to heater- warmed up during the day and it switched to cool automatically. Just set the temperature and the inside temperature remains constant regardless of outside temperature. And then there's that back up camera.

5.Biggest thing I like is the gas mileage. 30 MPG in town which includes a lot of short trips, stop and go traffic and some freeway driving. 40 MPG on the road on the California trip. Mostly lnterstate with cruise control at 65 to 70 MPH.

6. Bottom line.: The wife and daughter like the Corolla. LOL. They think they have more room than the mid-size car that it replaced. Luggage capacity is about the same.The ride is a lot quieter on the Interstates . I suggested maybe we should get a bigger, more powerful, smoother and quieter car the next time we are thinking of buying a new car - maybe a Camry or an Avalon . But they said "Why ?" LOL
7. One more thing. The wife and daughter were always complaining about the leather seats on the previous car: "Too hot in the summer !!!! Too cold in the winter !!!!" They really like the cloth seats. Their comment now is "Ahh ! Now this is so much better !" And IMHO they are lot more stylish and also a bit more sportish, too. The driver's seat is also the most comfortable one of late. Has a lot better support . Not tired or fatigued after a 350 to 400 miles per day drive on the California trip. There were extremes on that trip. Cold and wet in Amarillo-54 degrees. Hot and dry in Needles -110 degrees.

My experience and impressions exactly ! Except for local dealer trying really hard to push a different, loaded and overpriced model than the one I wanted - simply went to the next dealer. And even better MPG on highway (LE Eco).
Corolla is not the "best" in any unique or spectacular category (some would say average), but it is so satisfying in so many areas that I say quality econobox.

My experience and impressions exactly ! Except for local dealer trying really hard to push a different, loaded and overpriced model than the one I wanted - simply went to the next dealer. And even better MPG on highway (LE Eco).
Corolla is not the "best" in any unique or spectacular category (some would say average), but it is so satisfying in so many areas that I say quality econobox.
I don't know if it was just this dealer and this particular salesman but this was the most "low pressure" car purchase I have made in quite some time. When I first starting buying new cars I was dealing with a local salesman and we had an understanding that I wanted just the closest car to my "list" and I never had any problems. I have run across some dealers who will either push the lowest price "bare bones" car or a "loaded" car with more options than you really want . I may have not gotten the lowest price "off list" but I got the exact car, exact color, exact equipment, etc. that I was looking for without haggling at least close a fair to good price.

I am a rather conservative driver and so far I have not been disappointed in driving the car I really wanted. I haven't had any problems with the performance and have certainly been pleased with the gasoline economy especially.My figures for both town and highway driving have been coming out about 2 MPG better than those posted on the window sticker. And the car is certainly a lot quieter than most of the cars I have previously owned Maybe I have just been luckier than some drivers. This is my first experience with a Toyota .

It's a dealer thing (big one, also selling VW). Some of my friends still do buisness there, but most avoid it.
The next one is a smaller, family owned. Night and day experience. It's a 30 minute drive (instead of 10 minutes) but it worth every one of them !
First experience with Toyota also. If all continues to go well, not the last one !