2014 Corolla - Orange Peel

Status
Not open for further replies.
Yeah ... I've done better spray work with Krylon than companies can do with professional guns on water based. And new cars chip if you look at them crooked. My '14 is a little over six months old and has a chip collection to match the wheel I baptized on a curb >.< I never understood the people that couldn't move their car to the left of the lane so that you didn't have to squeeze through to make a right turn.

Now there saying the paint has rock/chip guard built into the paint that's why it's textured looking it's not orange peel. Said if I was to sand the car down and repaint the car the old fashioned way it won't last two years. This will be my first and only Toyota then.

Contact Toyota Inc., not the Toyota dealership. The Toyota dealership is not Toyota Inc.

Again, you need to speak with the Toyota Zone Representative about this problem and that person needs to look at your car. No one else.

I will Monday I've never heard of rock/chip guard being in the paint itself I know they have protective film for it not being in with the paint itself like the guy at Toyota said he's a fixed operations director whatever that is

I strongly recommend stop talking to the independent dealership and contact Toyota Inc. directly. The contact information is in the warranty book for the car.

You are being fed a line of bull-feathers by the independent dealership. To preserve your case/warranty claim, only talk to Toyota Inc. directly and don't quote what the independent dealership said at all.

The independent dealership aren't the people who decide warranty claims. Only a Toyota employee can do that. Again, the Toyota dealership is independent of Toyota Inc. They are an independent franchise. Period. They have already given you all sorts of bull-feathers excuses as to why the paint on your Corolla is so bad. Don't talk to them anymore. There's no benefit in doing so.

You simply contact Toyota Inc. with the contact information listed in your owners manual and file a warranty claim for the paint. Insist that the Toyota Zone Representative for your region look at the car and get it fixed under the Toyota warranty. The dealership is not going to help you, as they haven't. Period.

You have specific legal rights with a new car warranty and talking to the dealership can jeopardize that warranty. You have to be very careful here and not say this and that and the other thing. Keep it simple and straight to the point. Talk with Toyota Inc. only.

I have a couple time's with the number in the owners manual but it's customer experience center they said they rely on the technical expertise of Toyota dealers. Toyota dealers’ technicians are specialized in the diagnosis and repair of Toyota vehicles. I don't see any other number for Toyota Inc

I think I should elaborate a little as many people are under the incorrect impression that a car dealership that sells brand X cars is therefore a part of brand X inc. This is not so.

Car dealerships are all independent businesses of the cars they are selling. They sell and repair the cars they sell. That's it. That's all they do. A Toyota dealership is not owned by Toyota Inc. and the people who work at that dealership are not paid by Toyota Inc. The same holds true for virtually any other car on the road.

So when you have a warranty issue, you contact the company that actually manufactured the car, not the independent franchise dealership that sold the car.

The company that manufactured the car is the company that provides the warranty for it, not the company that sold you the car. This is why there is contact information in the owners manual of the car when you need to file a warranty claim for the car.

I have a couple time's with the number in the owners manual but it's customer experience center they said they rely on the technical expertise of Toyota dealers. Toyota dealers’ technicians are specialized in the diagnosis and repair of Toyota vehicles. I don't see any other number for Toyota Inc
http://www.toyota.com/support/contact.html <--- Contact Toyota Inc.

You've been given excuse after excuse from untrained personnel regarding the bad paint on your car. Contact Toyota Inc. and demand a Toyota Zone Representative look at your car and get the bad paint taken care of under warranty.

If Toyota Inc. refuses to do that, it's then time to contact a lawyer!

I have that's the number I've called twice they said they rely on the technical expertise of Toyota dealers. Toyota dealers’ technicians are specialized in the diagnosis and repair of Toyota vehicles. I'll call before I lay down when I get off work in the morning.

Well the so-called, "Technical expertise", you've been given is a line of bull-feathers. You've been given conflicting excuses as to why the paint is so bad on your car. Contact Toyota Inc. and inform them you want a Toyota Zone Representative, an actual employee of Toyota Inc. to look at the car. Period. If they are unwilling to help you, inform them that you then have no other alternative than to seek out legal assistance regarding this matter, (that might make them change their mind about having your car looked at by a Toyota Zone Representative). From that point on, they are now the enemy, from a legal perspective and you should not talk to them without the advice of an attorney.

Next, find a good attorney who will help you. Most attorney's will provide a free initial consultation and many will work on a contingency basis where you don't have to pay anything up front.

The Better Business Bureau can also help you, as well as the Office of Consumer Affairs. You have a lot of consumer rights on your side. Use them.

I know but there's no way I see to contact Toyota Inc directly the number you gave in the link is for Toyota customer experience center not Toyota Inc. It's the same number in the owners manual also

Then call that number and tell them like it is. Get their response, then proceed.

From this point onward, document everything, write it down. A lawyer will need you to do this. It's valuable information.

Last edited:
I will have any of y'all heard of rock/chip guard being in the paint itself? If so I would've thought the paint would be smooth and clear as glass no matter how you look at it.

Yesterday made 3 times I've been to the dealership regarding the paint and still haven't been satisfied with the results plus they tell me to be there at 10 yesterday morning and it was 12:30 or so before I left and still no results

Might be a wise precautionary measure to take pictures of the interior area you are talking about before you take the car in for repairs.
All good. They not only replaced the instrument cluster bezel, but they replaced the trim that holds in the instrument cluster and vents on the left and right side.

The salesman who sold me the car seemed more concerned about me being happy with the car than the service department did he told me when I went yesterday told me if I wasn't totally happy and satisfied come back and let his manager look at it but I had worked all night and been there over 2 hours I was ready to go home and rest and get some sleep for work.

Yea he didn't really seem that way when I buying the car but he was Thursday when I went to the dealership I'm going to see if he's working Monday and talk to him and his manager and see what they say about the car if they don't want to do anything I'll contact the general manager I think he's either the owner or kind to the owner.

I will have any of y'all heard of rock/chip guard being in the paint itself?
Not for what you are talking about.

They make speckle paint for the interior of trunks so you don't have to have a smooth surface, and they also make bed liner paint (Herculiner), etc.

My Focus has some kind of non-smooth finish on the rocker panels for stone protection, but I'm not sure if it is in the paint or part of the panel. You would NOT want the upper panels to look like that, though.

Apparently the Dart has a similar setup: http://www.dodge-dart.org/forum/dod...-more-crushed-rocker-panels-4.html#post241483

They make speckle paint for the interior of trunks so you don't have to have a smooth surface, and they also make bed liner paint (Herculiner), etc.

My Focus has some kind of non-smooth finish on the rocker panels for stone protection, but I'm not sure if it is in the paint or part of the panel. You would NOT want the upper panels to look like that, though.

Apparently the Dart has a similar setup: http://www.dodge-dart.org/forum/dod...-more-crushed-rocker-panels-4.html#post241483
Well according to the fixed operations director at the dealership my car has it in the paint and that's why it's rippled looking it's not orange peel just the texture of the paint because of the rock/chip guard being in the paint itself and if I was to get it repainted the old fashioned way it won't last two years. Says all the body shops are using the same paint I was wondering how there going to blend the ripples in lol

If that line of bullfeathers were true, then the other Corolla's you've looked at for this, "texture", would all be the same and you said they weren't.

>> LAWYER <<

2002 - it's been/is a good car - we've been over this.

Understood - I was pointing out that the Focus rocker panels are the only time I've really heard of chip guard in the paint, and you wouldn't want your whole car to look like that.

It is looking more and more like a lawyer will be your best bet.

Well the car is rippled/orange peel looking and cloudy looking all over the car of you see it at certain angles and lighting conditions you see some in all there car's now but don't as bad as mine if I knew that when I bought the corolla I would've kept my 2010 ford fusion instead. This is my first and last Toyota ever!

Other black vehicles have some orange peel also there still saying it's supposed to be like that there supposed to have a district representative coming and look at it hopefully this week. And hopefully fix the paint by eliminating the orange peel the sales manager said they might wind up helping pay the price to have it were/color sanded and polished and buffed out but said it'd void my paint warranty though.

Finally, a district representative! Plan on receiving the same bullfeathers excuses though. Toyota doesn't want to have to repaint the car, as that will be very expensive. "Helping" to pay the price on correcting their factory defect?! No. They pay 100% of the cost to correct their factory defect!

One thing you can do to fight the, "That's normal", bullfeathers excuse line is to go look at other new cars from competing car companies and looking at their paint/finish.

"If this is normal, why is it that cars from Nissan don't have their paint looking so bad"? !!!

"My lawyer also says this looks terrible"! :thumbsup::)

"Lawyer?....uh...umm...well...err.....maybe we can have your car repainted". lol

The squeaky wheel gets the grease!

Last edited:
My step dad has a 2012 rav4 and his doesn't have any orange peel or texture as they call it lol how could I see if anyone with a new Toyota has a similar issue with there's?

Just look at other Toyota's and talk to the owners of those vehicles. Might be wise to keep a list -

1. 2012 Toyota RAV 4, no orange peel. Step dad's car.

Etc.

Great idea!

Document everything, so you can show this information to the Toyota Regional Representative and make them realize you are not accepting, "This is the normal texture", bullfeathers excuse!

"Is Toyota really going to force me to retain a lawyer over this defective paint issue? Does Toyota really want all the bad press from that?"

My 2003 ZX3 had the urethane texture on the rocker panels but not anywhere else on the car.

I know it's on the rockers on my corolla but the entire car is covered in what looks like orange peel but some other black vehicles do but my stepdads 2012 rav4 doesn't have any wanting to see if any other Toyota owners are experiencing the same issue I am with there vehicle's so I'll have proof it's not supposed to be like and I'm not the only one not happy about it.

Almost agree ...

"If this is normal, why is it that cars from Nissan don't have their paint looking so bad"? !!!
The fact that Nissan's have good paint doesn't mean that Orange Peel isn't "normal" for the Corolla and isn't a good argument ...

But here's what you do ...

Presumably, you will be at the body department for the selling dealer or meeting the district rep at a dealership with a lot of Corolla's - if not, have him follow you to the dealership. Hopefully one with 15 to 20 2014 Corolla's on the lot.

Now one of two things will happen:

• You walk the lot - if ALL the cars look as bad or worse than your car, you pretty much lost the argument. "Hmmmn, Toyota really does have crappy paint QC - I guess I should have paid more attention before I purchased the car ..."
  • Or more likely - "Hmmn - this car looks better than mine - so does this one, and this one, and this one, and this one. If mine is NORMAL, how come all these other cars are EXCEPTIONAL - or maybe they and NORMAL and mine is DEFECTIVE. (At least that how my LAWYER sees it.)

Status
Not open for further replies.