2014 Corolla - Orange Peel

Status
Not open for further replies.
What should I say and put there to see if anyone has the issues that I'm having?
Title it "Anyone having problems with Orange Peel?"

Link to this thread.

Briefly explain that your car has orange peel which you were being told was normal and you want to get opinions as to whether it is normal or not and photos to use as examples preferably.

(Although I really think walking the dealer lot is a better approach ...)

There saying all new cars have orange peel/texture these days I didn't pay for a new to car to have it covered in orange peel don't think any consumer would. All I want is to look at my car at any angle and or lighting conditions and it look smooth clear and shiny don't think that's too much to ask for when buying a brand new vehicle.

Seems like the black vehicles are the worst for having and or showing orange peel all I want is my car to look the same if I look at it in any angle and or lighting conditions look smooth clear and shiny anyway I look at it and under any lighting condition is that too much to ask when buying a brand new vehicle?

They are and aren't lying.

As I said earlier - I have seen other cars (not Toyota's) on dealers lots with orange peel bad enough that if they were used cars I wouldn't buy them b/c I thought they had body damage and been re-painted.

But not ALL new cars look this way.

The problem is it now becomes a judgement call on how much orange peel is "normal" and how much is "excessive" and where your car falls and what needs to be done about it.

Well I went by again Monday and they said there going to contact the destructive representatives and were supposed to call me first thing Tuesday and here it is Wednesday and still haven't heard from them looks like I'm going to have to find a lawyer or just live with it.

Stay on them. The squeaky wheel gets the grease. Don't give up!

Have you tried the Better Business Bureau or Office of Consumer Affairs yet? They can help you, for free.

No hadn't thought about them I'm going to see if they'll trade me into the S model I wanted to begin with I'm not happy with a car with crappie paint especially when it's not the one I really wanted.

Unfortunately, the tires installed on your car are cheapie made in China specials. I would never trust my life to a made in China tire, no way, no how.

When you say, "trade", to cover the defective paint that is on your car, they need to be standing behind that and give you a 100% credit for the price you paid for your car.

It's a bit late to be looking at a trade.

I think you have custom rims and tires and a custom radio in the car.

You would need to swap all that back and THEN you would have to convince the dealer to take back a used car with comparatively higher mileage for a new car in a more expensive trim.

It could be worked out, but you would have to reach an equitable agreement for the depreciation of your vehicle. You should demand more than book value, but I doubt you would get back the full purchase price - unless you overpaid initially.

Yea I hope the salesman who sold me the car said they might trade me out of the car hopefully they will if they won't fix the paint on the car I have now and get the car I wanted originally.

Again - the salesman will always "trade you out of the car". They'll even keep your payments the same (they usually don't mention that they might roll $3-$5K of negative equity into the new loan and make it a 7-year instead of a 5-year).

Again - the salesman will always "trade you out of the car". They'll even keep your payments the same (they usually don't mention that they might roll $3-$5K of negative equity into the new loan and make it a 7-year instead of a 5-year).
They have to tell you everything before you sign the contract the payments and how long the contract is I have bought car's before I've already been through this with the car I traded in added on negative equity so I know what to do already if they t trade me out of it into the S model I wanted originally.

I'm sure they won't fix my car or want to pay off the car I have now and give me 100% credit on it and not add it to another car unless I mention a lawyer and or get one involved.

There are many lawyers who will work on a contingency basis, where they are paid out out of the amount of the award, or settlement. In this case, the legal fees would then have to be paid for by Toyota and not you.

Contact your Better Business Bureau and Office of Consumer Affairs. At this point, you need to get the law working for you and those two offices will do that for you for free.

Contingency ...

i.e. - the lawyer gets 10% or 30% of whatever Toyota ends up giving you - and the lawyer has you sue Toyota to re-coup your (his) legal expenses.

(Scott types faster than I do ...)

Ok I'll check around for lawyers I just emailed the better business bureau telling them hopefully they'll be able to do something because the dealership sure isn't the salesman was supposed to call me Tuesday about setting up the appointment to talk to the district representative and still haven't gotten a call or anything!

Sure sounds like they are blowing smoke and are just hoping you go away.

Don't let them do that to you!

Contact your Office of Consumer Affairs too. The more fire and brimstone you can rain down on this dealership that has treated you so poorly, the better!

I think a telephone call is always preferable as you will get information immediately and help immediately. E-mails can get lost, accidentally deleted, or not read for days.

oh yea forgot to add some details about the meeting with the fixed operations manager last Thursday as if waiting over 2 1/2 hours on him one of the ladies tells me he's ready to talk to you baby and I go out to my car and he's on his phone for at least 5-10 minutes while I'm standing there waiting to talk to him about my car and said something about waiting so long and he get pissed raises his voice some and said I came just to talk to you and I tell him I work third shift and have better things to that wait around here all day I want and need some sleep then he gives me the line of BS

Both ...

Phone call gets you a live person who can ask questions and clarify information.

E-mail gets you a RECORD of action taken which your LAWYER will want to build a CASE for you.

Honestly, I don't think the BBB does that much.

You can file a complaint with them, but I don't think they do a lot to resolve it.

What you can do is THREATEN to file a complaint with them and the dealer might be more willing to work with them as they don't want potential future customers reading the complaint.

The Better Business Bureau sends a letter to the business in question and tries to get the matter settled to the consumers satisfaction. No business wants to have a bad Better Business Bureau rating.

We contacted the Better Business Bureau and they sent the used car dealership where my girl got her a car a letter. Owener called me up wanting to know why I did it. "Honor the warranty you told us at sale or go f yourself".

I have been looking for a decent used car for over two months and never in my life have I ever dealt with such a bunch of dishonest, lying, thieving, manipulative, low-life, dirty, (did I leave any out?), bunch of losers as used car dealers.

They're the worst. I never wanted to deal with them, but my girl doesn't make much and I was trying to find as low payments as possible ... in the end ... I should have gotten her a certified pre-owned at Toyota of Escondido...

I almost got in a fist-fight with the guy I was so pissed off.

Well the director I waited on for almost three hours last week finally calling about having a time setup to talk to a Toyota district representative but said they'll just explain what he already told me but now says it's the characteristics of the paint another way trying to get around the crappie paint. Didn't know it took from Monday afternoon till Friday morning to call someone back about an issue then say hope he can me happy and satisfied yea right!

I've called Toyota customer experience multiple times about it he said they instructed him to call me and setup a time for a Toyota district representative didn't know it took from Monday afternoon till Friday morning to call and setup a time to talk to a district representative sure doesn't seem like he's truly wanting to make sure I'm happy and satisfied!

... bunch of losers as used car dealers.
There are some exceptions. I bought a used Honda here: http://cliffbrownhonda.com/sales.html - but it was over 20-years ago.

I forget the details, but it seems like the clutch was slipping right after I bought it. He put a new clutch in it at no charge and also replaced the radiator and thermostat b/c he noticed it was running a little hot - even though I hadn't said anything about the radiator.

Last edited:
There are some exceptions. I bought a used Honda here: http://cliffbrownhonda.com/sales.html - but it was over 20-years ago.

I forget the details, but it seems like the clutch was slipping right after I bought it. He put a new clutch in it at no charge and also replaced the radiator and thermostat b/c he noticed it was running a little hot - even though I hadn't said anything about the radiator.
Sadly, that is the exception rather than the rule, but that guy would definitely have a repeat customer.

newcorollaowner - So have you met with the district Toyota employee yet, or are they ignoring you?
Should I still try? The director I talked to week before last was saying there just going to tell me what he told me Thursday before last I saw a new Ford vehicle with some orange peel also but not quite as bad as mine but still had some I think it's just the norm with all new vehicles basically and there not going to do anything about it just for me and won't unless more people notice and complain about it.

Again - you need to look at the other 2014 Corolla's - particularly the black ones like yours.

If they all look like yours, there isn't much you are going to be able to get them to do about it.

If they mostly look better than yours - "If mine is normal, how come this one doesn't have the problems that mine does - trade me even for this one and we can call it a deal ..."

Again - you need to look at the other 2014 Corolla's - particularly the black ones like yours.

If they all look like yours, there isn't much you are going to be able to get them to do about it.

If they mostly look better than yours - "If mine is normal, how come this one doesn't have the problems that mine does - trade me even for this one and we can call it a deal ..."
Bad thing is I really wanted the S model when I got this car now I'm stuck with a car I didn't really want to begin with with crappie paint

Why give up now? That is exactly what they are hoping you will do!

Don't quit! We're talking about a vehicle worth thousands of dollars here, not a $100 bicycle.

File a complaint with the Better Business Bureau. You can force Toyota to honor their warranties!

Unfortunately, the time to complain on both issues is BEFORE you purchase ...

"This one isn't too bad, but I really was wanting an S Model ..." <See how quickly they can locate an S model at another dealer and have it delivered to their dealership for you ...>

"This one is perfect, except for all of this orange peel in the paint ..." <See how quickly they have their detail shop work on it, or have another car in the same color brought in for you to purchase instead.>

Unfortunately, the time to complain on both issues is BEFORE you purchase ...

"This one isn't too bad, but I really was wanting an S Model ..." <See how quickly they can locate an S model at another dealer and have it delivered to their dealership for you ...>

"This one is perfect, except for all of this orange peel in the paint ..." <See how quickly they have their detail shop work on it, or have another car in the same color brought in for you to purchase instead.>
I NEVER thought I had to look at a new car with a fine tooth comb like I would a used car but I do now.

Status
Not open for further replies.