Most of us Probably have a "Recall" (CVT)

jolly

Thanks for the info! Mine is clear.
It might be related to the TSB someone reported here. If so I’m not sure about the “most of us”.

Is the “recall” labeled as a service campaign ? Implications are slightly different :
Recall: The car WILL have this issue. Act immediately (free of charge). [mandatory report to NHTSA]
Service campaign: Your car MAY have this issue. Act at your convenience (free of charge).
TSB: IF the car has this issue, here is what to do (cover only under warranty).

Thanks for the info! Mine is clear.
It might be related to the TSB someone reported here. If so I’m not sure about the “most of us”.

Is the “recall” labeled as a service campaign ? Implications are slightly different :
Recall: The car WILL have this issue. Act immediately (free of charge). [mandatory report to NHTSA]
Service campaign: Your car MAY have this issue. Act at your convenience (free of charge).
TSB: IF the car has this issue, here is what to do (cover only under warranty).
I believe the two are related. I think its a service campaign. I just titled it recall in quotes because that's what the URL says ~ "recall"

jolly

I just titled it recall in quotes because that's what the URL says ~ "recall"
Well anyway the difference doesn't really matter for us, customer. Which owner in is right mind would say "there is a potential problem and a free fix but I won't take care of it since it's not a proper recall"... :cool:
For the company, though, a recall has to be made public (medias) and a letter sent to each owner. Although they did send a letter, a couple of years ago, for the Valvematic (LE Eco) service campaign (car may go into limp mode under certain conditions). That was also about a simple firmware update. Thanks again !

Looks like mine's affected too. This brings me to a question. If my car is still under warranty at 50K and let's say this issue has been wearing out my cvt prematurely/unnecessarily and if there is some damage already done, shouldn't they extend the CVT warranty on these vehicles for the next 50K miles? if you come in with 20K miles, extend to 80K miles, 20 passed warranty. Sounds fair to me, what do you guys think? How about people who's cvts needed to be replaced and they had to pay out of pocket to later since this recall just surfaced?

shouldn't they extend the CVT warranty on these vehicles for the next 50K miles?
They certainly should. Just as for those first Jatco-Nissan units that remain fragile after a bad firmware. What bugs me is that those trans weren’t new when introduced to NA.
Maybe it has to do with multiplication of logic for NA market (LE/LE Eco/S/S with paddles).

Anyway, such a service campaign normally comes anyway with an engagement to repair/replace units that might already have suffered damages resulting from the identified problem, with or without a limit date.
I don’t know if this campaign does, but the Valvematic one did (with a limit date).

But even then, or with only a limited extended warranty (and furthermore for those with already repaired/replaced trans), establishing the link between failure and the condition might be a PITA…

They certainly should. Just as for those first Jatco-Nissan units that remain fragile after a bad firmware. What bugs me is that those trans weren’t new when introduced to NA.
Maybe it has to do with multiplication of logic for NA market (LE/LE Eco/S/S with paddles).

Anyway, such a service campaign normally comes anyway with an engagement to repair/replace units that might already have suffered damages resulting from the identified problem, with or without a limit date.
I don’t know if this campaign does, but the Valvematic one did (with a limit date).

But even then, or with only a limited extended warranty (and furthermore for those with already repaired/replaced trans), establishing the link between failure and the condition might be a PITA…
Title

Special Service Campaign J0D - Remedy Notice Certain 2014 - 2017 Model Year Corolla Vehicles Certain 2017 Model Year Corolla iM Vehicles Certain 2016 Model Year Scion iM Vehicles

Status

Remedy Available

Description

The subject vehicles' transmission has improper programming that could lead a component to unnecessarily cycle and experience abnormal wear. If this component becomes damaged, the malfunction indicator lamp may illuminate in the instrument cluster and the vehicle could experience a reduction of speed. After reaching a pre-determined gear ratio, the vehicle can be operated up to approximately 37 mph.

Remedy

Any authorized Toyota dealer will perform an update to the CVT control software at NO CHARGE. Additionally, in the unlikely event that the vehicle is exhibiting the condition, any authorized Toyota dealer will repair or replace the CVT assembly at NO CHARGE.

Campaign Date

Mar 28, 2018

Dealer Reference ID

J0

There is the official notice on the Toyota Owners web site !!!!

Additionally, in the unlikely event that the vehicle is exhibiting the condition, any authorized Toyota dealer will repair or replace the CVT assembly at NO CHARGE.
Thanks lar.smith. I had not access to it (no recall or service campaign for my VIN). So there it is, apparently without no date limit, what is sometime refer as "secret warranty". What remain to see is how "secret" this will be, meaning if they will send a letter to affected owners or just count on their initiative to check it out.

I’m at the dealership right now getting cvt computer reflashed. I asked about cvt warranty extension but didn’t receive a definitive answer. I also asked about fluid change interval and to my surprise, service manager said they recommend drain and fill every 90k miles at $295. They’ve finally realizing no fluid is lifetime.

Have you checked? Looks like a simple ECU update.

Input your VIN https://www.toyota.com/recall
Jeremy - thanks for posting this since not sure if Toyota plans on sending setters to it's customers. Glad we have an awesome informative forum. I do miss toyota4runner.org forum when I had my 2000 limited 4x4. I couldn't tell you how much money I've saved by simply reading, contributing and being an active member. 4runners get heavily modified and have been in production forever (not as long as a Corolla). 20 years ago you had to rely on your service manual and mechanics haha. This information sharing thanks to the Internet and technology is unprecedented. Scary as hell when you think about what's coming in the next 20 years. One thing for sure, many 11th gens and earlier will still be on the road.

Looks like mine's affected too. This brings me to a question. If my car is still under warranty at 50K and let's say this issue has been wearing out my cvt prematurely/unnecessarily and if there is some damage already done, shouldn't they extend the CVT warranty on these vehicles for the next 50K miles? if you come in with 20K miles, extend to 80K miles, 20 passed warranty. Sounds fair to me, what do you guys think? How about people who's cvts needed to be replaced and they had to pay out of pocket to later since this recall just surfaced?
I have the same warranty concern and will voice it with the dealership on Monday when I take it in. In my case, my car is out-of-warranty with 48K miles. That's 48K miles of premature/abnormal wear. If the CVT craps out any at anytime after that, will I be liable to foot the $6-7K bill to replace the CVT? Anyone have a hard copy of the TSB that they could post? The Toyota website content is very vague. Probably written by lawyers. Fort those that had this work performed, has anyone challenged the dealer with a request for an extended warranty or did they provide one? I'm most interested in root cause and which CVT component is being over-stressed. If your CVT fails down the road it is highly doubtful that Toyota is going to admit that the failure was caused prior to this TSB.

Just got my cvt reprogrammed. Took about an hour but damn, car drives different. Seems like it’s a lot more smooth and more torque from stop. I don’t have to push it and it goes good. I can definitely tell they’ve reprogrammed it. It’s actually fun to drive now. I didn’t expect this. :)

yea i got mine done yesterday too and my car does also feel very good on the throttle response and torque....i just feel bad for those who already ran 90k+ miles on their cars before this "recall" i was lucky at 35k only :0

I have the same warranty concern and will voice it with the dealership on Monday when I take it in. In my case, my car is out-of-warranty with 48K miles. That's 48K miles of premature/abnormal wear. If the CVT craps out any at anytime after that, will I be liable to foot the $6-7K bill to replace the CVT? Anyone have a hard copy of the TSB that they could post? The Toyota website content is very vague. Probably written by lawyers. Fort those that had this work performed, has anyone challenged the dealer with a request for an extended warranty or did they provide one? I'm most interested in root cause and which CVT component is being over-stressed. If your CVT fails down the road it is highly doubtful that Toyota is going to admit that the failure was caused prior to this TSB.
I've challenged them with basically what you just said and didn't get a firm answer. They said, if we get noticeable number of failures down the line - Toyota may fix under warranty since they've done that in the past but that was his speculation and not an actual statement from Toyota. According to service manager they haven't had anyone come in with a the limp mode symptom the bulletin indicates so I don't know. He also said that if it was to happen it would have happened by now or something of that nature. Nevertheless I have the same concern as you. If I end up having an issue after warranty, this bulletin, paperwork that you had the update done is probably good enough to get Toyota's attention and have this covered. It would make sense at least but who knows. If anyone finds out any additional details please share.

I'm going to see what they tell me when i bring mine in Monday. I have the same concern. I'm at 83k miles of wear on my CVT. I guess its a good thing im paying for the extended warranty

Dealers will never admit to anything. That's how they've been trained. It's amazing how the various automotive forums are always filled with the same chronic owner complaints yet the dealers always plead ignorance. I'll call Toyota directly and try to get the whole story on this. I'm expecting my dealer to give me a B.S. story too. How can your service adviser tell you "if it was to happen it would have happened by now". He has no data to support that statement. Is that guy an engineer too? Maybe he has the MTTF (mean time to failure) data in his pocket. That's hilarious.... My dealer better buckle up on Monday. I want some real answers.

Dealers will never admit to anything. That's how they've been trained. It's amazing how the various automotive forums are always filled with the same chronic owner complaints yet the dealers always plead ignorance. I'll call Toyota directly and try to get the whole story on this. I'm expecting my dealer to give me a B.S. story too. How can your service adviser tell you "if it was to happen it would have happened by now". He has no data to support that statement. Is that guy an engineer too? Maybe he has the MTTF (mean time to failure) data in his pocket. That's hilarious.... My dealer better buckle up on Monday. I want some real answers.
I agree 100%. They cover their arses and try to calm you down. Just go about your business since the likelihood of failure is really low no matter how you look at it. Even if there was some tune glitch we have a bunch of high-ish mileage corollas out there with small % of failures. They know their product is superior in reliability compared to competition. One thing that pisses me off is crap does actually break after warranty is out - you're on your own. Not only that but they won't troubleshoot until you agree to pay $100 buck or more that can be applied towards a 5k repair. haha. Dealers are there to screw you. That's how it's always been unfortunately. Very important to have a trusted mechanic in your family or close friend for stuff that's over your head. Theoretically everything can be done with right tools, time, and knowledge resources. Once you call Toyota, let me know what you find. I've emailed them twice or three times regarding cvt oil change/flush interval and time after time they said lifetime.

Tink

Thank you so much for posting that info about the recall. I called my Toyota dealer and they told me that they will update my car tomorrow. If you had no posted this i would not have known anything about this because i had not recived anything from Toyota. Everyone check your vin to see if you need this service done. I am so happy that i did. Thanks again for posting this info.

Well….. Today’s dealer experience was fun. I started my inquiry on this recall with the service adviser and ran it up the flag pole to the general manager. I was told the same story by both, call the 800 Toyota Customer Care number. They wouldn’t give me a copy of the recall notice, claiming it was against company policy to share it with customers. What? Apparently, Toyota service advisors no longer deal with any customer issues outside of processing the paperwork and getting your car into the work que. They also tried to sell me a bunch services I don’t need. What a bunch of morons. I perform my own vehicle maintenance, so I rarely go to a dealer. Things have really changed. I recall years ago, most advisers were somewhat technical and they would deal with corporate on your behalf, for any customer matters regarding warranty coverage and concerns. So, I guess tomorrow I’ll plead my case to the corporate ding dongs that run the show. The only good news (a glimmer) is that the CVT is covered under the drive-train warranty, which is 60K miles. That leaves me with 11K or just over a year. Hopefully it will break before then. I feel for those with “over” 60K miles. You potentially got screwed. It still baffles me that the recall states “transmission has improper programming that could lead a component to unnecessarily cycle and experience abnormal wear”. This pre-existing wear condition was caused by Toyota, not the customer. Toyota needs to step up and make an allowance to extend the warranty. A dealer replacement CVT cost is in the $6-7K range.

As far as the s/w update goes, there seems to a “slight” change to the power band. I did notice a little more pep off idle. The inherent stumble at 30-35 mph is still there, though.

I was just told mine didnt have the CVT recall even though when I typed it in myself i had the message for the CVT. Mines just an air bag recall i guess

Edit: It was the CVT recall after i brought it up on my phone. They didnt give me an answer about the extended warranty though

Last edited:
get ready cause I was told it takes about 5 or mores hrs to take care of this recall, i was told that I can take a loaner for the time been !
i do leave about 25 miles from the Rolla deal

AWESOME !, I was told that it would take about 5 or more Hrs.

How do you like the SPORT mode on that Rolla ?
I use it on the streets, awsome shit !
not recommended for Hiways, you know that !

Eddie

I haven't been a fan of the CVT since I got my '17. I stated, when I joined the forum, I have no faith in them. Don't count on any kind of warranty extension because Corolla sells so well and has so many fanboys they don't have to. No matter how many recalls they can live off their rep for years. Nissan was forced to make an extension as a settlement to a class action law suit I believe. Nissan is also trying to climb in reputation, quality wise, as well as sales.

Give me a conventional auto trans and this would be one of the best if not the best little cars I've ever owned

thanks Jeremy.for this important info. You really can't count on a dealer to tell you anything.

I entered the VIN number on my 2017 SE, and got the Special Service notice. Called my dealership where I got the car, and after he entered it, I was told there was no recall on it. Might go by there in person tomorrow after work, just to be on the safe side.

I would like to say thank you to Jeremy_283 for posting this recall. I just got my 2025 Corolla done at the dealership it took 45 minutes wow what a difference in acceleration and the car runs much smoother. I am very thankful for this knowledgeable forum and the great people on it!

Tink

I took my 2016 Toyota Corolla to the dealer today to get the Cvt update. It took about an hour and they washed my car too. It runs so much better.

Had an appointment today to have this recall taken care of for my 2015 Corolla. Just got a call from the dealership that the recall has been "suspended" and that my appointment was cancelled. Did a lookup on the Toyota site and indeed it's now listed as "
Title
Special Service Campaign J0D - Remedy Notice Certain 2014 - 2017 Model Year Corolla Vehicles Certain 2017 Model Year Corolla iM Vehicles Certain 2016 Model Year Scion iM Vehicles - (SUSPENDED)
Status
Remedy Not Available" Very concerned about the long term reliability of this car. Usually keep cars for 10 years or more. Seems like this issue is likely to shorten the life of the CVT. Not happy.

Question is was it suspended because by releasing a recall and admitting to premature wear Toyota just incriminated itself? Was the update not engineered properly and they're modifying it to release a differently worded recall some time later? Who knows, would be good to know someone working for Toyota with any inside info they could leak.

Question is was it suspended because by releasing a recall and admitting to premature wear Toyota just incriminated itself? Was the update not engineered properly and they're modifying it to release a differently worded recall some time later? Who knows, would be good to know someone working for Toyota with any inside info they could leak.
Since the recall page is still up, I would think it's because the update was not engineered properly and there were problems.